Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Song about going to Kaleponi and bring home presen
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  08:58:44 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know a song about going to Kaleponi and asking his ku`uipo what she would like for a present...a petticoat oh so short and a hat with a something or other, and a pair of high heeled shoes? I think part is sung in English and part in Hawaiian.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  09:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Wanda, this is "Kaleponi" and is in "He Mele Aloha," which says the author was Bina Mossman.

It starts out "Hele au i Kaleponi. Ho'i mai male kaua..." You're right that the second verse is an English translation of the first.

By the way, I've lived in Kaleponi for a long time and nobody's ever given me a hat with a crooked crown. Or high heel shoes, for that matter.
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  09:52:43 AM  Show Profile
Also by the way, Wanda, I don't know of any in-print vocal versions of this song, but I believe our own Fran Guidry from right here in the patch has an instrumental version on his CD by the same name.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  10:12:23 AM  Show Profile
Mike - I got some high heels I don't wear any more. Can recyle them, yeah? Size 10 - going to waste...nice shiny black patent leather. But the best would be if you wore a short short slip. Cute, I think. Got one black silky one for you. Got da lauhala hat, got crooked brim, too from getting smashed in the suitcase.

http://www.mele.com/music/artist/keoki+kahumoku/hula+big+island+style/ Duh - I just bought this CD...need to listen to it promptly. I heard it on hawaiianrainbow.com and thought it was cute. I think on this album it is called Kaleponi Hula.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  1:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I based my instrumental rendition on the version recorded by Kalama's Quartet. This was a hot bluesy group with two acoustic steel guitars and, on the cover at least, a harp guitar!!! Auntie Maria shows it out of print at mele.com, but it's in stock at Amazon, CD Universe, Arhoolie, and Rhapsody among other places. The quartet sings only the Hawaiian lyrics, and identify the song as traditional.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  2:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks y'all for the help. I've been playing the Kalama's Quartet album while I cook supper. Wanda isn't usually home from work at that time, so she missed it. We bought Auntie Maria's last copy a couple weeks ago.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  4:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mike2jb

Also by the way, Wanda, I don't know of any in-print vocal versions of this song...

Nope, no vocal versions currently available. But with a little spare time on my hands this evening, I threw together a montage of four out-of-print versions.

Go to www.hoolohehou.com and scroll to the bottom. (I backdated this blog entry so that the playlists for my radio show would still sort to the top of the blog. So the entry for "Kaleponi Hula" sorts to the bottom.)

Enjoy!

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  4:43:31 PM  Show Profile
But there is a recorded version currently available -- I just got mine from Auntie Maria -- Hula Big Island Style. It is a compilation of various musicians from the Big Island and this song is done by Loeka.

There is one guy who does two songs on the CD, named Rodgers Lena Naipo. What an amazing voice, deep, smooth, like velvete. He does Papalina Lahilahi and Pauoa Liko k Lehua. There is also one done on their called My Hula Girl done by Randy Lorenzo, not a hula by anyone's stretch of the imagination, but oh so nice. It does make you want to dance, but I think no hula for that song. Sounds like Motown to me. This is really a great CD. There is such a variety of music and musicians and singers. You would not get bored with this, thinking that all the songs sound alike. This is singular. Order it...there are folks on here that you cannot find anywhere else. A great addition for any Hawaiian music collector.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  7:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

But there is a recorded version currently available -- I just got mine from Auntie Maria -- Hula Big Island Style. It is a compilation of various musicians from the Big Island and this song is done by Loeka.

Yeah, Loeka Longakit. He used to record with his sister, Pomai.
Go to Top of Page

dagan
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  01:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit dagan's Homepage
just to add, Lorna and the Lim Family does "E Pili Mai" oh so nice...

www.daganb.wordpress.com
www.paniolomusic.com
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  05:27:42 AM  Show Profile
I am still puzzling over this song.

Here are the lyrics from www.huapala.org
Hele au i Kaleponi
Ho`i mai, male käua
He aha kou makemake
A pane mai la `oia ala
Päpale ipu kapakahi
Käma`a hila `auli`i
Kïhei ku`u weluwelu
Palekoki hapa nihoniho
Ame ka lole mü`ekeke`i

I'm going to California
When I come back, we'll be married
What do you want me to bring you?
She answered:
A hat with a crooked crown,
A pair of high-heeled shoes,
A shawl with a fringe
A petticoat with half scallops
And a very short, tight skirt

Source: Baker Collection - A young man leaving for California plans to return with gifts for his bride

I am just puzzling on the singular wish list the fiance has. Why would one wish for a hat with a crooked crown? What is a petticoat with half scallops? Lace? Why are short, tight, skirt? Is there kaona going on here that it appears some of these gifts are more suited to a woman who was "fast" and not, perhaps, a "lady" at all? And maybe he wouldn't come back to marry her after all?

It is a puzzlement.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  02:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
Aloha E wcerto!

Oh, this is one of my favorite songs!

Here is a little somethign on Bina Mossman:
Of her many compositions, the hula "Hele au I Kaleponii" tells of a young man going to California (Kaleponi) who asks his girlfriend what to bring back for her. She responds with a list of stylish clothing. http://www.hawaiimusicmuseum.org/honorees/1998/mossman.html

According to my kupuna, this song was written in the 1930s, and the clothing is a list of the fashionable styles of the day. She is asking for her trousseau.

What we have to remember is to look at these descriptions through the eyes of a young country girl from Hawai`i, not the eyes of someone who sees all the fashions from Walmart to Paris. In 1930, a "short tight skirt" was quite different than a "short tight skirt" of today!

Shop 'till you drop!
Leilehua

Papale ipu kapakahi (Hat with a crooked brim): http://www.fashion-era.com/hats-hair/hats_hair_8_fashion_history_1930_1940.htm#Hats%20of%20the%201930s

Kama`a hila auli`i (Pair of high-heeled shoes): http://www.parkerhawn.com/site/1396903/product/ftw-0027

Kihei su weluwelu (Shawl with fringes): http://www.malleries.com/lavish-huge-c1900-embrd-chinese-shawl-i-5277-s-80.html?mallSID=0108e80d9d2bc60bd29b3e6a79a38575

Pelekoki hapa nihoniho (Scalloped petticoat): http://www.thecowshed.co.uk/ClothingandMaterials/CNA4120882%20Circa%201930%20Petticoat.html

Very short, tight skirt (compared to a mu`umu`u): http://www.fashion-era.com/C20th_costume_history/1930_silhouettes_1.htm

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  03:38:03 AM  Show Profile
Leilehua - thanks for putting things into perspective for me. And what swell web sites you referred me to. My daughter, the costumer for Disney , will love those web sites, especially the millinery one.

Now the version of the song that I have is by Loeka Longakit from the CD "Hula Big Island Style". The way he sings it is that she wants a shawl with half fringes and a petticoat oh so short, oh so short, oh so short. In this version, she doesn't even want the skirt.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  6:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Leilehua - thanks for putting things into perspective for me. And what swell web sites you referred me to. My daughter, the costumer for Disney , will love those web sites, especially the millinery one.

Now the version of the song that I have is by Loeka Longakit from the CD "Hula Big Island Style". The way he sings it is that she wants a shawl with half fringes and a petticoat oh so short, oh so short, oh so short. In this version, she doesn't even want the skirt.

You are most welcome! My mother was the head costumer for a living history program, so I think the interest is genetic! I'm glad you and your daughter will enjoy the sites!

Yes, people like to dress that girl to their personal tastes! I think sometimes the verses get a little mixed up in translation, maybe?

I learned the shawl verse as:
"Kihei su-weluwelu," literally, "Kind-of-like-shredded shawl," which is actually not a bad description of long thick fringe. But I don't see anything about half-fringes in there.

The petticoat verse I learned as:
"Palekoki hapa nihoniho," literally, "Partially scalloped petticoat." The women of my `ohana interpret that as the kind of lacy scalloped cutwork edging which is an integral part of the garment, rather than a lace edging (lihilihi) which has been applied to the garment after completion.

The dress verse I learned as:
"A me mu`u `ekeke`i," literally, "And a short dress." It dosen't actually say anything about "tight."

My kumu used to sing the English part, "A shawl with long fringes, A petticoat with half-scallops, and . . . a short dress!"

Leilehua "Why dress when you can over-dress" Yuen ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  7:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
For some reason, I can not do a normal log-in. I have to long in separately for each post.

Anyway - - -

After reflecting on the petticoat with half-scallops, I think it is possible my kumu mis-translated that.

I'm starting to suspect that the hapa refers to the palekoki itself, not the lace, and that the girl wants a half-slip with a cut-work embroidered hem.

I actually have a few of those, myself, which my grandmother gave me many years ago, circa early 1940s. I am a nut for vintage clothing!) I no longer wear them. They must have shrunk with age. Yes, that's definately it.

Malama pono,
Leilehua "more of me to love" Yuen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000