Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 List of Slack Key learning songs updated
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  1:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Eia ku'u mana'o, 'ae like au me cpatch, 'o nä mele kï hö'alu na Hapa, 'o ia ka mele 'o Justin's Lullaby me ka mele 'o Kaopuiki Aloha. 'O nä mele 'ë a'e, he 'oko'a kona 'ano, he 'ano "hapa" paha.
Based on my extremely limited Hawaiian and (more significantly) my deductive skills, I think this means you're in agreement with me and that you also like Hapa a lot. Am I close?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/14/2003 1:36:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  3:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Cpatch,

Good work ! :-)

Here's what I said:
"Here's my opinion, I agree with cpatch that the ki ho'alu songs of Hapa are Justin's Lullaby and Kaopuiki. The other songs are of a different nature, maybe a "Hapa" nature. (smile)"

I do also happen to like Hapa a lot - especially their first album. Namahana is also high on my list. I'm sad they broke up.

aloha ,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  7:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Major update to the list(s): 61 songs added from Mika`ele's book (see reviews) and Keola Beamers OOP "First Method for Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar" (no review yet). The list now totals 248 entries with 193 unique songs. I also updated all the sorted versions of the list as well. Once again:

http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/tarosongs.htm

If you notice any mistakes or are aware of any slack key teaching resources that don't appear on the list, please let me know. Also, I am still searching for original copies of the following if you know of any available:

"First Method for Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar" by Keola Beamer
"Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar: Five Easy Pieces" by Keola Beamer
"Raymond Kane: Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar" by Reri Tava

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 02/03/2003 7:05:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  12:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
After hearing from several people (including Elodia Kane) that Hal Kinnaman has "borrowed" arrangements and tabs from both Uncle Ray and Ozzie without their permission and is including them in what he sells, I have decided to remove his material from the lists. That brings the totals down to 230 entries with 181 unique songs.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 06/04/2003 4:16:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2003 :  7:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I just added the five songs from Patrick Landeza's new DVD along with the two online tabs from Keola mentioned in a previous post. That brings the list to 237 entries with 185 unique songs.

In case you're new to TaroPatch, this is a list of all slack key songs for which teaching material (tab/book/video/etc.) is publically available.

If anything is missing from the list or you notice any mistakes, please let me know. Mahalo.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  3:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Re: instructional DVDs

George Kahumoku has completed work on his much-needed, much-anticipated intermediate level ki ho`alu _DVD_. He's hoping it will be released this year. Wu-huuuuuuu!

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  3:12:21 PM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria sez:
quote:

George Kahumoku has completed work on his much-needed, much-anticipated intermediate level ki ho`alu _DVD_.

Keoki Kahumoku has also done one with Bruce Lamb.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2003 :  01:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Auntie Maria, are you sure you mean George and not Keoki?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  02:17:57 AM  Show Profile

Aloha Piffle:

Please count me as very interested in a Hapa book. Have emailed you through the net and not gotten replies, so I guess it's not working for me also. Please be in touch, address is: catheglass @ aol.com
Had other questions for you. Mahalo. Auntie Cathe

cathe
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  3:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Craig,
Yes, George has completed some intermediate level CD material.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  3:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Cool, thanks Raymond.

BTW, if anyone has, or is aware of, any addition slack key learning materials (tabs, videos, books, pamphlets, whatever) that are not represented on this list, please contact me at craig @ patchett.com. I'd like to make the list as comprehensive as possible.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  3:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I just added another 19 songs to the list from Yuki Yamauchi's 1978 teaching book, Slack Key Tunings for Guitar. That's the good news. The bad news is that this book is in Japanese only and out-of-print. But for the sake of completion it is now part of the list. (Currently in the sorted by song list only.) That brings us to 256 entries with 199 unique songs.

Incidentally, if you are able to track a copy of Yuki's book down I highly recommend it...even if you don't speak Japanese (I don't) there are lots of diagrams and photos and the music, of course, is universal.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/20/2003 3:57:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  09:14:10 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Craig,

Just curious: how did you happen to come by this o.o.p. book?

-Sarah
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  11:35:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I got permission from Yuki to have a friend in Japan send me a copy of his. I've tracked down copies of other OOP instruction books through used book sellers on the Web and through eBay.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/21/2003 11:37:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  11:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
Picked up the list. Great thing to have. Is there a simpler list for thos of us, just of what the names are in pitches? I mean, Taro Patch is D G D G B D aka Open G but G Kilauea and Gabby's C Wahine mean less to me. I'm pretty sure I could find them, but the notes added to the table would really make it for me. If you like, I could research this through liner notes and post the results. If not, I hope you can do this. Anyway, I really like this post. Thanks!

Crazy Man Tuning
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000