Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Barney Isaacs CD "E Mau"?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pukaua
Aloha

20 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  5:43:04 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Taro Patch community,
I have been searching for the CD "E Mau" by Barney Isaacs and the Kahala Surf Serenaders, released in 1995, I think by either Aloha Records or Surfside Records (neither of whom I can find contact info for). It seems to be very well-regarded and yet it has been out of print for awhile. I've sent emails off to Hula Records and Mountain Apple on the off chance they might know who has the rights to E Mau and when it might be re-released.

Does anyone here have any info on this classic, when it might be re-released, who has the rights to it now, or if there are any copies available somewhere?

Mahalo no ka `oukou kokua.
na Pukaua

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  6:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
A company out of Austin TX, called Outpost Media Deals, lists a couple copies on eBay at
http://cgi.ebay.com/E-MAU-TAKE-ONE-GEORGE-KUO-NEW-SEALED-CD_W0QQitemZ170143682564QQihZ007QQcategoryZ307QQcmdZViewItem

Aloha Records is no more, but the album was distributed by Mountain Apple when it came out.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  05:22:23 AM  Show Profile
Odd...the photo displayed is the back cover of the CD...and it's listed as a George Kuo release, but he wasn't on it. Weird.

That being said, it's a great CD -- musicians include Aaron Mahi, Benny Kalama, Scott Furushima, Barney Isaacs, and Doug Tolentino. Grab it if you can!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  05:39:39 AM  Show Profile
This thread prodded me into pulling the CD off my shelf to listen -- and it's getting airplay on my show tomorrow, for sure. I'd forgotten how great this one is...exceptional steel, dreamy-Waikiki vocals...

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  10:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

This thread prodded me into pulling the CD off my shelf to listen -- and it's getting airplay on my show tomorrow, for sure. I'd forgotten how great this one is...exceptional steel, dreamy-Waikiki vocals...

I also played several cuts on my show last week when we celebrated Papa Alvin Isaacs birthday.

I think it is a beautiful recording. It should by no means be out of print. But worse, the liner notes indicate that there was a second volume coming. I wonder if it ever got recorded but remains unrereleased or if it was merely the hope of these musicians to go back into the studio together?

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

pukaua
Aloha

20 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  8:43:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

A company out of Austin TX, called Outpost Media Deals, lists a couple copies on eBay at
http://cgi.ebay.com/E-MAU-TAKE-ONE-GEORGE-KUO-NEW-SEALED-CD_W0QQitemZ170143682564QQihZ007QQcategoryZ307QQcmdZViewItem

Aloha Records is no more, but the album was distributed by Mountain Apple when it came out.

Thanks Retro. Unfortunately the listing is erroneous. I've ordered the CD twice, once from Outpost and once from another dealer, and both times I received the CD "Po`okele Chants" by Mark Keali`i Ho`omalu. That's how it's also erroneously listed on Amazon. And yes, the George Kuo part is confusing!
There's a whole little history of Barney Isaacs on the Dancing Cat website, but no mention of "E Mau". I've emailed them as well to see if they might know anything they can share with me.
na Pûkaua

Edited by - pukaua on 09/25/2007 8:54:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

pukaua
Aloha

20 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  9:12:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:

I will try to tune in to your show. I think I originally became interested in the CD from the cut Uina Uina, can't remember now if I heard it on HawaiianRainbow.com or where...
na Pûkaua
Go to Top of Page

pukaua
Aloha

20 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  6:32:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Aue! I messed up the time change in my head from Pacific Time and didn't tune in to your show until it was almost over. I hope you enjoyed playing some cuts from "E Mau" and that your listeners enjoyed them too! Maybe create some buzz that will bring it back into release :-) I was unaware of KKCR and its live streaming until yesterday and plan to tune in more often to your show and others.
Mahalo no na mele Hawai`i maika`i loa!
na Pukaua
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  8:08:49 PM  Show Profile
"Ua Mau" is still in my CD bag -- so I'll play more of it on my show Friday...just for you!

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

pukaua
Aloha

20 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  07:30:29 AM  Show Profile
quote:

"Ua Mau" is still in my CD bag -- so I'll play more of it on my show Friday...just for you!

Mahalo Auntie Maria! I received a response from Dancing Cat Records about whether they had any info at all on E Mau: "No we really don't have any idea - if anyone would know it would be Auntie Maria at www.mele.com." So you have a good rep :-).
na Pukaua
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  1:10:53 PM  Show Profile
http://www.diamondheadclub.com/cd/album/07.htm
I don't know if this will help- I only read English. There's a picture of the album cover, and some writing. Can any of y'all read Japanese?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  7:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Paul, I read Japanese but I don't see any on that particular link.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  12:04:50 PM  Show Profile
Oops! I thought it was Japanese. Or maybe I made an assumption based on no knowledge of the writing on the page. Sorry for the error. Any idea what it says, or what language?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  1:12:28 PM  Show Profile
The language intended is Japanese, but the graphics don't show up properly. If you Google "Diamond Head Club"+"E Mau", you'll get two choices, the second of which is the right one. Instead of clicking straight to the link, choose the "translate this page" option, and you'll get a very Babblefish-type translation, which isn't helpful, but is funny. (Sorry - I tried posting the link and it doesn't show up well.)

BTW, "bani aizakkusu," not "bani aizatsukusu" is how you would transliterate Barney Isaac's name into Japanese. The babblefisher has it slightly wrong.

Edited by - Momi on 10/04/2007 1:22:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

pukaua
Aloha

20 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  12:24:45 PM  Show Profile
I don't know how to read Japanese at all, but I poked around on the diamondheadclub website. I found a directory of CD cover graphics, one of which was "E Mau". I poked around their website links some more and found that diamondheadclub has a webstore, from which it looks like they sell CD's. The other CD's from the directory I saw were represented in the store, but not "E Mau". I'm guessing they removed it from the store when they found out that it's no longer in print. Thanks for the lead though Paul!
na Pukaua
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  2:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
"You just hear the combination with the man chorus,

the float float it comes doing.

Even in gift the highest one."

Yow! I wish I could write poetry like that.

Mark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000