Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 tuning question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  09:19:23 AM  Show Profile
howzit? Anyone know wat tuning Keola's Kaulana na pua:

http://www.kbeamer.com/?q=node/40

is in? tanks in advance! It's not on da master list of songs, artists and tunings ... yet ...

If can, can. If no can, no can.

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  10:47:32 AM  Show Profile
Keola's C or C Wahine (C-G-D-G-B-E)
he has the tab for sale on his web site along with lesson video

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  1:25:07 PM  Show Profile
Hey Brandon, if you are just starting out with Ozzie's book and don't want to tackle Keola's C tuning, you might have a look at Mark Nelson's tabbed version in taropatch, which you can buy from his website:
http://www.mark-o.com/tabstore.html
I think it's very pretty and it didn't hurt my fingers. Mark classifies it as intermediate, but personally I think you could tackle it after you get through the first five songs in Ozzie's book.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  1:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Mike, tanks fo da tips. I like stay in taropatch fo now, until I get mo used to it ... shootz!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  3:17:52 PM  Show Profile
Keola plays this in his C Wahine in the key of G
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  2:50:59 PM  Show Profile
You can play this song in G Taropatch or Dropped C (Leonard's C) or C Wahine(Keola's C) they are all very similar -- string 1 is either D or E and string 6 is either C or D. Your fingers will just be on different frets and the fingering may be more or less difficult in some sections. The not so obvious differences then would be the "notes between the notes" or the sympathetic vibrations of the strings you don't play. You'd have to listen REAL HARD to notice it though.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  4:09:18 PM  Show Profile
Take a close listen to the cannon like hammer-ons on the recording (gun-fire/military outside the Queen's resident). You can't get that in anything but Keola's C. If you play his original version with the ostenato middle section, it's difficult to get with the 6th string not in C. Also, the bass covering a D in the Intro and then reprise later in the song, while covering a C throughout the song. That's why he's the Master.

I truly love John Keawe's version of this in Taro, but for pure emotion, nothing beats Keola's.

dog
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  02:34:27 AM  Show Profile
Gotta sing the words to get the power, the mana,

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  05:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
Gotta??

I don't think so.

I think it comes from the heart and intent of the performer. Some people arrange well known songs and make them so flashy that they end up playing their arrangements mechanically. Others play from the heart. And it's not all that hard to feel the difference. When it's good it'll give ya chicken skin, just like the words were there.

When I write and perform arrangements of songs with well known words I always have the lyrics in my head. A majority of the emotional component of such a performance comes from an attempt (sometimes good, sometimes not so good) to make the guitar sing the song.

I do this because I care enough that I know you never want to hear me try to sing.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  05:18:24 AM  Show Profile
I "gotta" agree with Bill. The very first time I heard Keola's version of Kaulana Na Pua, I was barely into hawaiian music. I heard war, rebellion, aloha, pain - a myriad of emotions and I had no clue there were words to that song. Later, learning the story and the words, it's even a more meaningful song to me, but the power of the instrumental still lingers. Maybe you really need the mana to sing the words. JMHO

dog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000