Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Fender Passport PD-250 portable PA
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  4:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Choices abound when it comes to PA systems. Some of the key factors to consider are power, portability, number of inputs, durability, and of course, quality of sound. In my initial research, I found that there is a niche of portable PA systems that includes the Fender Passport, Yamaha Stagepas and Carvin Stagemate. While each is slightly different, these units are comparable in that they offer an all-inclusive system comprised of a mixer, amplifier, speakers and are designed to be relatively easy to transport. To my knowledge, John Keawe uses a Passport and George Kahumoku uses the Stagemate.

Fender Deluxe PD-250 Plus
I am reviewing Fender’s flagship model of their Passport line, the Passport Deluxe PD-250 Plus. The Plus comes with a built in CD player which is kind of nice, one less thing to carry. I did confirm with Fender that the speakers were designed by Bose even though there is no mention of this in any printed Fender documentation. I do not have a reference point for the previous generation, P-250, but have read that the speaker redesign sounds significantly better. If you know the older Passport, it might be worth checking out the newer PD version.

The PD-250 is suited to address groups of 300-500 people in a variety of applications including live music performances, corporate presentations, health and fitness classes, mobile DJ’s, schools and sporting events. The PD-250 Plus, as reviewed here, has a retail price of $1149.99, street price of around $850. Let’s look at the features:
  • Built-in CD-Player
  • Six-channel mixer: four mic/line, one stereo, one CD-player
  • 250 Watts (125 per channel) stereo Class-D technology
  • Digital reverb
  • Proprietary DSA speaker design featuring two 5.5 in. woofer and dual arrayed 2.75 in. tweeters per speaker enclosure
  • Two P-51 Mic Kits featuring: Professional Cardiod Low Impedance Dynamic Microphone, 18’ Microphone Cable, Mic Clip, Carry Pouch
  • Two 9 meter (27 feet) Speaker Cables

Ease of set up and breakdown
Out of the box, the Passport looks like no other PA system that I’ve ever seen. The black, somewhat egg shaped, luggage-style molded case is really the two speakers and a combined mixer/amplifer that interlock with one another. Lift two latches and the speakers easily disconnect from the mixer. Opening a compartment in the back of the mixer reveals a storage compartment that holds the power cord, speaker cords, mic cables and two microphones. (see below photo) Setting up the system is quick and easy as is putting everything back when you’re done. The total weight of the unit is 53 pounds so it is not light. However, the handle makes carrying short distances manageable, and I use a magnacart to transport it in and out of gigs.

Putting it to the test
I’ve used the Passport at three different outdoor gigs over the past three months. First test was the annual Hawaii picnic in Central Park. I did not have speaker stands; but even with each speaker down on the ground pointing in different directions, the sound was dispersed adequately. If unsolicited compliments speak for themselves, I should mention that several people came up to me to compliment me on the new sound system as compared to previous years. The four mic/line and one stereo inputs are probably optimally suited for a soloist or duo. Of course, I went and plugged in four instruments (guitar, two `ukulele, Kona walking stick bass) and two vocal mics. It worked but plugging in a mic and instrument into a single channel does not give you the ability to control volume between the two. There is only one volume control per channel so I suspect one should be choosing to plug in a mic or instrument, not both. Furthermore, there was occasional distorting which I think was caused by so many inputs being used at the same time. I turned the master volume down which helped, however. Nevertheless, the Passport delivered on amplifying the opening pule and music from different groups including slack key, traditional Hawaiian and Jawaiian. Fender sells a battery pack specifically for the Passport line, but we were running off of a Honda 2000 watt generator.

Here are links to videos from the 2007 Annual Hawaii Picnic in Central Park, NY where the Passport was being used: Second test was at a swanky party where we musicians got to perform on a plexi-glass platform that covered a swimming pool. This time the configuration was a trio (guitar, `ukulele, steel guitar). Three mics were set up (two vocal and one for the steel player’s resonator guitar). The speakers were placed on Fender speaker stands (does not come with the Passport but offered as an extra accessory). Again, this set up did not allow for independent volume control between mic and instrument from the mixer in some cases. Nevertheless, the balance was good, and the sound very clear with no instances of any distortion whatsoever. The sound was adequately loud to amplify the music for the 150 guests during cocktail hour. Breakdown of the Passport, mic stands, instruments and cables was a quick 15 minutes. Mission dually accomplished since amplification was great and thankfully we did not fall into the pool to an untimely exit.

The third test was a corporate gig for a company employee appreciation party. Again the speakers were up on speaker stands and the gig outdoors. Upon arrival, there was some discussion of whether it would be favorable to have the two musicians (guitar and `ukulele) play though the DJ’s equipment. This was quickly resolved as the DJ did not bring the correct mixer to satisfactorily take our XLR inputs (two vocal mics) and instruments. I broke out the Passport, and we were set up and ready in about ten minutes. The DJ was impressed and commented that he might want to pick up a Passport for certain functions. Amplifying a duo, we had guitar in channel 1, `ukulele in channel 2, mic1 in channel 3 and mic2 in channel 4. Each could be adjusted at the mixer for low, high, volume, reverb and pan.

Conclusion
Overall, I am very pleased with the Fender Passport. You can roll in with this unit, set up quickly and be ready to go in a snap. The unit fits comfortably in the trunk of a Honda Accord along with a bag of stands and gear bag. The enclosure seems durable. I like that the controls offer big knobs that are easy to see and use. The built in CD player comes in handy for the musician(s) during breaks. This also appears to be a unique feature as compared to other portable PA systems. Despite its size, the Fender produces a clear, full sound. If 250 watts is not enough power, Fender also offers a 500 watt Passport (PD-500).

There is no one system that is dominantly better for all occasions. If you need to amplify a full band, the Passport is probably not the best option. However, while you sacrifice number of inputs, the Passport scores high in portability, ease of set up and use. Definitely worth checking out, the Fender Passport line might be the perfect sound reinforcement for your next lu`au, wedding, or kanikapila.

Additional Links

Andy

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  04:54:24 AM  Show Profile
Good report, thanks Andy. These are always helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  3:12:59 PM  Show Profile
Hey Keith,
I think this is the same system Gerry and I saw John Keawe with at the Kona Brewing Company a few months back. It had plenty of punch and carried over the regular restaurant noise. It was really easy to carry.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Edited by - Mika ele on 10/12/2007 3:30:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  08:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey Andy -

Nice job on the review!

We've used a Fender Passport for the Aloha Camp ever since we moved to Kaupoa. We bought the system used from Hana's Duke Walls (mahalo, Duke!) and never looked back.

Great sound -- ours has Bose-designed speakers, too. That's why I bought it. All of the musicians who've played through it have been pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds.

Also very EZ to use -- just ask the volunteers who operate it during the Ho`ike!

quote:
Of course, I went and plugged in four instruments (guitar, two `ukulele, Kona walking stick bass) and two vocal mics. It worked but plugging in a mic and instrument into a single channel does not give you the ability to control volume between the two. There is only one volume control per channel so I suspect one should be choosing to plug in a mic or instrument, not both. Furthermore, there was occasional distorting which I think was caused by so many inputs being used at the same time.

This is a common error -- most PAs will have both XLR and 1/4 inch inputs on some channels. That's to give you a choice--you should never use both at the same time. PAs aren't designed to operate that way: aside from the lack of individual gain, you run the risk of overloading the inputs.

At the Aloha Camp, we use a small mixer patched into the Aux inputs to provide extra inputs. You can pick up a mini mixer from Peavy, Behringer or Yamaha for less than the cost of sending your Passport to the repair shop.

We also have the battery pack -- which is a dandy feature. Ditto speaker stands.

cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  09:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Mark,

Duh! Thanks for the tip on the mini mixer. You have successfully preempted any damage. I will definitely look into that.

How is the battery pack? Do you also use that at at Kaupoa? How long does it last?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  11:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
The battery pack lasts a few hours - enuf for most gigs. I can't remember exactly how long it lasted when last I tested it -- I think I got bored after three hours and shut everything down.

But we don't rely on it, as we need a generator to run the lights anyway.

One more thing: don't know if your unit has this, but channel one has a "ducking" function that dims the rest of the outputs when engaged. This is so an announcer can make him/herself heard over the band or recorded music. (In the old days we called it the "Bingo" circuit.)

Personally, I find it of little use -- but users need to be aware of it -- if accidentally engaged, the whole band drops out every time the leader sings a verse!
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  1:39:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

-- if accidentally engaged, the whole band drops out every time the leader sings a verse!

A sound man could have a lot of fun with this one on the right leader and the right band!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  9:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Good choice. I've been using the 150 deluxe for the past several years for solo/duet gigs. The litte speakers lack lows for obvious reasons but still sounds good even when I split instrument or vocal lines. Speaker stands are a must. Next, a good portable wireless speakers and microphone system is what I want. I hate cords!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  08:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
A few questions for you sound engineers out there.
  • If I add a small mixer to expand the number of inputs, where should I set levels on the mixer? Better to control volume at the mixer, Passport or combo of the two?
  • On the mixer, I am going stereo outs to 2 line inputs/channels on the Passport. Is that correct? Sorry Mark -- you sent me an email telling me how do it, and now I cannot find it.
Appreciate any guidance.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  09:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
If I add a small mixer to expand the number of inputs, where should I set levels on the mixer?
It is all about proper gain staging all down the line. For best control, set the mixer out put at unity -- usually there's a little hash mark on the fader, or knob. If you have the inputs set up properly, that will pass the best signal to the Passport.
quote:
Better to control volume at the mixer, Passport or combo of the two?
Well, the point of adding the aux mixer is to give you better control over the add'l inputs, innit? So I'd say set the aux mixer out to unity gain, set the Passport input to unity gain, and ride the faders on the aux mixer as needed. Be sure the trim/gain (or whatever it is labeled on the mixer) is set properly at each input!
quote:
On the mixer, I am going stereo outs to 2 line inputs/channels on the Passport. Is that correct?
That's one way to do it. But you can also feed the tape out on the aux mixer into the tape ins on the Passport. That way you don't give up one of the Passport inputs.

So what little mixer did you end up with?

Happy mixing.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  09:25:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Mark. This post is easier to find than emails in my inbox and hopefully other can benefit.

I picked up a Yamaha MG102C. Going to try it out at a party tomorrow. I'm looking forward to playing some music with other NYC taropatchers (Bill, Claudia, Tommy, and ????)

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  10:43:27 AM  Show Profile
Tell Claudia to sing "The Owl's Lullabye".

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  08:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I've successfully used this rig with the Yamaha MG102C mixer a bunch of times since my original post, including at the 2008 Hawaii Potluck Picnic in Central Park.

I was researching picking up a Fender battery pack and DC Converter but ran into two things.
  1. Fender discontinued making the battery pack and DC Converter about 3 months ago
  2. I called Fender Support and the rep told me that the battery pack does NOT work with the newer Passports
I do not know if the latter is true. I don't think I will go through the time and effort to find out.

BTW, a friend has the EU2000i Honda generator. This thing is unbelievably quiet and works great.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  05:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
Depending on your needs, for small gigs I have become fond of the Roland AC-60, ~$500 street price. It is a 22 pound box with two input channels, on-board effects, and can easily fill the typical coffeehouse /restaurant or similar gig with high quality sound. When I need more inputs, I use a small Behringer outboard mixer as Mark suggested, running a submix into one of the channels.

The little Roland won't handle big rooms / big crowds like the Passport or Stagemate will, but it is hard to beat for weight and portability. When I first heard one, the music store guy gradually turned it up while I was busy playing a nice Taylor. At some point I realized that everything was louder, but real similar to the acoustic-only sound.

The little Honda generators are very portable, nicely packaged, and very quiet. They sip fuel, running for hours on a couple of cups of gas.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000