Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Quick Q&A: Herb Ohta, Jr. - `Ukulele Journey
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  04:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message

TP = Andy (Taropatch.net)
HOJr = Herb Ohta, Jr.

TP: Please tell us about `Ukulele Journey. It seems unique that you have guest artists joining you?

HOJr: 'Ukulele Journey is based upon my musical career. When I started in this music business I was only 19 years-old. I began giving lessons on my own teaching 2 nights a week, and recorded on my Father's Cd in 1990. I guess you could say that my 'Ukulele Journey had started. So on this recording, it wasn't planned out really to have many guest musicians on my recording. I've used many musicians before, so I don't think that I did anything different. When I record other people's music, I would try my best to have them a part of the recording in some way or form. When I recorded 'Ukuele Breeze, I had Barry Flanagan record "Lei Pikake" with me. For Journey, I wanted to record "Kaleohano", so I asked Louis "Moon" Kauakahi to record it with me. Both Uncle Moon and Uncle Ledward were big influences on my music. Uncle Moon is the leader and arranger of the Makaha Sons, and the group are one of 2 reasons that I am playing music today. As for Uncle Led, I always admired his guitar playing. I first heard the song "Holo Wa'a Pa" on a recording by Ikona. I used to always try and learn Uncle Led's licks on the guitar for this song, so when I decided to record it this time around, I just asked him to record with me. I feel very blessed that the both of them along with Chino Montero, Noel Okimoto, Barry Falangan, Nathan Aweau, Mike Guerrero, James Pilgrim, Jon Yamasato, Daniel Ho, and Ken Lykes agreed to be a part of this project with me.

So I guess you could say that I pay my respects to the people who have inspired me musically from the beginning until now, and am ready for a new Journey ahead!

My Father told me a long time ago that if you don't record your own material, it is all about arrangement and presentation. People will recognize the song, but it will be fresh to their ears!

TP: What’s the creative process like for you when it comes to arranging? How about song selection. As an instrumentalist, how important is it for you to perform Hawaiian songs versus non-Hawaiian?

HOJr: When it comes to arranging songs, I try to come up with a unique intro and outro. To me the melodies of the songs will speak for itself. This holds true especially for cover-tunes. Cover songs are the hardest to record, because it has been heard so many times, so what I try to do is keep the original feeling of the song, but try and make it my own with a different intro and chords.

As for song selection, if I write my own originals, then those will go on the recording. If it's a cover-tune, I need to like the song first. Secondly, the song needs to be melodic and not stoic. The melody needs to move. Thirdly, tempo. I really can't have all slow songs or all fast songs on a recording unless there was a theme to it.

Performing Hawaiian songs versus non-Hawaiian songs on a recording was and will never be a issue. My 1st love is Hawaiian music. I will always record a Hawaiian song on my recording. It promotes our islands. It promotes the Hawaiian culture. There is no rhyme or reason in the songs that I record. I basically record songs that I like.

TP: Did you have a regular gig with David Kamakahi before? Where are you playing regularly and are you playing with other musicians or playing solo? Where can we find you in upcoming months?

HOJr: David Kamakahi and I performed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for nearly 3 years. We had a great time there and would like to say thank you to all the nice people that we've met there. I am currently performing solo at Hy's Steak House every Sunday and Monday from 6:30pm - 10:00pm. I perform there when Audy Kimura takes off.

At the end of this month, I will be performing at Whittier College in Southern CA. Then I go to Seattle and the Bay Area CA for a tour with Nathan Aweau. He is such an amazing talent! I am looking forward to this one! For more info on where I will be performing next, people can go to my website: www.herbohtajr.com

TP: Any plans to collaborate with Keoki Kahumoku again on another CD?

HOJr: While Keoki and I were in Maryland last month, we actually talked about doing another recording. Nothing is confirmed, but we are thinking about it.

TP: In 2005, you performed with your Dad in California. Any chance that you'll repeat that unique experience again in the future?

HOJr: Well there have been some talks about doing a performance in Seattle next year, and maybe in San Francisco. I am also thinking about recording the both of us on a duet Cd. We recorded one last year, but is only available in Japan. I may license this Cd for a US release.

TP: Are you still teaching? Do you see any young masters-to-be up and coming?

HOJr: I still give lessons.... while I'm not touring. I see that the 'ukulele has become more popular than ever with the children of this generation. There are many good 'ukulele players out there. I guess we will have to wait and see. You might be hearing about a young boy that I think will be releasing a CD soon. I don't know what his name is but I heard some clips of his recording and it sounds fantastic!

TP: Anything else you'd like to share with Taropatchers?

HOJr: I would just like to thank everyone for their support over the years. To be honest with all of you, it is very humbling for me when I tour and see so many of you return again and again supporting not only me, but for Hawai'i's musicians! I really do appreciate it. AND thank you to Andy for allowing of us to share our thoughts, feelings, and opinions on life and music!

TP: Thank you, Herb!

Andy

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  11:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for posting this Andy!

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000