Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Vintage Sonny C clip
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  11:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Like the Gretsch
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KTxGsxqoEGQ

Lee

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  11:18:00 AM  Show Profile
awesome. ho, some fast no his fingahs stay flying. looks almost fake! amazing fo watch da true kupuna of ki ho'alu no?

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  11:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Yeah! Nice find!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  11:42:24 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful. Does he have two fingers on the right hand that no work? They look kinds bent and deformed. I thought that too when I watched Uncle Ray's DVD, "Kiho`alu, That's Slack Key Guitar". Man, was he ever good.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  12:20:33 PM  Show Profile
Wow. What a great find, indeed!! Thanks so much. Wish there was more video of Sonny to be seen. Anybody know if there is?

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  12:26:16 PM  Show Profile
Found another one but it was the same as this one.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  1:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by markwitz

Wow. What a great find, indeed!! Thanks so much. Wish there was more video of Sonny to be seen. Anybody know if there is?

Norm, this clip is from the 1970 PBS Hawaii special "Na Mele O Hawai`i." The half-hour documentary presented the many facets of Hawaiian music to the world at large by chronicling an evening at the Dolphin Room of the Outrigger Hotel where a foremost trio performed: singer Myra English, guitarist Sonny Chillingworth, and steel guitarist Billy Hew Len. (The trio needed no bassist because of Sonny's octopus-like guitar work - most done in standard tuning.) The show also featured the falsetto singing of Bill Ali`iloa Lincoln and the hula of Sonny's very famous aunt, Harriet Purdy. The whole shebang was hosted by expert in all things Hawaiian, Ka`upena Wong.

It is a wonderful special, but I have not seen a crystal clear copy in circulation, and that includes my beat up dub of it.

(And, no, Sonny's hands worked just fine. He is doing all the picking with his thumb and forefinger - just like the old-timers like Aunty Alice Namakelua.)

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  2:16:06 PM  Show Profile
Myra, Sonny, Bill and Billy all together!!! Gottta start work on that time machine. What a show that musta' been.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  4:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Gotta have one more...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfqppDCKqgk

Lee
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  4:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh, how excited I was to see Kou Kaula `Ili, especially the hula. One thing about seeing the hula is that it makes it very clear to me that the kanaka leo nui (at least in this version) was indeed a man and not a hill o mountain. Does anyone know who is dancing? She was wonderful, so expressive.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  5:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Wanda, that was Sonny's Aunt Harriet Purdy (as Bill mentioned).

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  6:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Ozzie told me that Sonny told him that he had broken a finger on his right hand in a fight and it made it hard for him to make a fist. From the "Kaula `Ili" needle-and-thread footage in the Friedmann film, I would have said it was the middle finger--it doesn't bend. On the, um, other hand, I *can* see it bend in the first video linked here, so either it wasn't that damaged or the injury took place after 1970.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  01:00:37 AM  Show Profile
If you look at the ring finger on his righthand, it looks bent the opposite way that it should be, kind of splayed as it were.

Nonetheless, what a swell find. Thanks for sharing the link kihoalukid. It was great to see.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  07:35:18 AM  Show Profile
Just wonderful - the dancing was as good as the playing.

And thanks to Bill for the background yhat made it more meaningful

...Reid and Sarah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000