Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Kawai Punahele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cyberglen
Aloha

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  12:41:36 PM  Show Profile
Saw Keali'i Reichel last night for the first time. Beautiful, relaxing island music. His song Kawai Punahele keeps going around in my mind. I am not sure if that song is in slack key or not.....his guitarist had a twelve string and I was too far away to see if he was playing slack chords. Has anyone posted the tab for this one?

Slow down! It's Molokai.

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  1:29:56 PM  Show Profile
He holds on to his music pretty tightly. Good luck finding it. Besides which, please keep copyrights in mind.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  4:48:06 PM  Show Profile

Off the top of my head (I don't a guitar with me at the moment) the actual progression is pretty straight forward.

The verse goes something like:
I---|IV-I-|IV---|I-V-|IV---|iv(m)---|ii(m)-V-|I---|vamp

So in G the basic structure would be something like:
G---|C-G-|C---|G-D-|C---|Cm--|Am-D7-|G---|A7-D7-|G-D7-| etc.

You should be able to work around the melody around that basic structure. I will be on the lookout for lyrics.

This may be off topic, but what are the copyright laws on tab like? I think it is legal to TAB out a song for personal use and distribution among friends.. right?
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  5:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Rumor has it that Keali`i plays in standard tuning...
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  5:25:40 PM  Show Profile
The chords/
Paullyrics are in He Mele Aloha. No tab though. HMA was put together to encourage people to play together informally, and share music. It wasn't meant to be a learning method. But starting with chords is a good way to encourage us to make our own embelishments ans arrangments.Feel free to add your own flourishes and make the song yours.

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  7:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
He usually plays this simple three chord (not including the IVm) song in E in standard tuning.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  8:45:15 PM  Show Profile
Jessie,
Exactly what he told me after a performance on evening.

student....
As to copyright stuff -- do a search on this site - we have gone over this topic many times, including the issue of Tabs.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  03:55:52 AM  Show Profile
Checked it out as you aid RJS. I have seen topics like this before on other boards as well.

So the consensus there is no real issue with TAB'ing out or sharing personal arrangements as long as you're not making a profit off of it.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  04:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by studentaccount1

So the consensus there is no real issue with TAB'ing out or sharing personal arrangements as long as you're not making a profit off of it.
In my opinion, that is way over simplified. Sharing with a few friends may be okay, but "the internet" is a whole different animal. A website enables a person to broadcast his/her tabs (not-for-profit) to the world. This is a problem. We have seen websites bogged down with legal problems/expenses and then ultimately closed down. And of course, what about the impact to the artists?

Please check our FAQ: Can I share music and/or tabs here?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Cyberglen
Aloha

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  10:36:43 AM  Show Profile
That certainly wasn't my attention. I just wish to see if anyone knows whether Keali'i is using slack key tuning. Also wish to drink two beers, pull out my guitar and see if I can emulate him. Thanks to the tip above concerning a general pattern for a song such as the one I heard him play. Too bad Keali'i hasn't published a book of any kind. I will get better seats next time so I can see what he (and his guitarist are doing).

Slow down! It's Molokai.
Go to Top of Page

Cyberglen
Aloha

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  10:37:31 AM  Show Profile
That certainly wasn't my INTENTION! (correction to the above)

Slow down! It's Molokai.
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  11:28:12 AM  Show Profile
I've never seen Keali‘i use anything but standard tuning, but it's been a few years. He frequently uses a capo as well. I believe in Kawaipunahele he plays it with the capo on the second fret and uses the D, G/Gm and A chord shapes to attain the E tonality.

Edited by - keoladonaghy on 10/21/2007 11:29:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  12:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Love that song! Have you guys heard the remix? Well, I know Alana has. Anyone else?

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  3:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I have the ep with the remix. It didn't do much for me; I don't think it enhanced the song in any fashion - just slowed it down and added electronic drum tracks - ho-hum. Makes me wonder who talked him into allowing it (and perhaps explains why there haven't been any others since.)
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  4:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

I have the ep with the remix. It didn't do much for me; I don't think it enhanced the song in any fashion - just slowed it down and added electronic drum tracks - ho-hum. Makes me wonder who talked him into allowing it (and perhaps explains why there haven't been any others since.)

I have to agree with you here. I found the remix totally out of character.

I think I have a clue as to the "why" he might have done this... The original was from 1994; the remix from 2000. 2000 also marks the arrival of Mark Keali`i Ho`omalu's "Po`okela Chants" and Tony Conjugacion's "Tony C 2000" - both of which combined traditional chant with world beat and hip-hop. I think that the "Kawaipunahele" remix amounts to experimentation in light of what else was going on in Hawaiian music at the time.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  04:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I, on the other hand, love it. I especially like it when Shay does her improvisation stuff. What a voice!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000