Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Moe Keale - E Ku`u Morning Dew
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  3:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

Aha! Now you know how Russell has been suffering, trying to get stories - histories - straight, for the last few years. Bill is probably flipping, too. This happens all the time with anthropologists and cops.

...Reid

Well, not flipping. But it confuses me. Why bother having a five member group if you have to overdub parts? That's the kind of thing I expect from The Peter Moon Band which is more a laboratory experiment (that is, see how much music can be made with the fewest people).

I listened to the cut again and it surely could be Moe overdubbed. I have no reason to doubt Aunty Myrna. I just don't know why their stories would contredict each other.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  3:47:40 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I just don't know why their stories would contredict each other.
Well, it was about 8-10 years ago, and also right after a concert, so maybe Eddie was a little flustered and I can also understand that Myrna would not want to correct Eddie at that time. I am going to have to go back and play the original back maybe ten times (and also play back some Moe ballads and some of Joe's other lead tracks again).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  11:12:43 PM  Show Profile
I watched the Sons perform the song in person and guess who sang the lead? It was Moe and did it sound like the record I think it did except the harmony was sung by Joe at that time. As far as i know it was Moe who sang on the recording too. Heck Larry Kimura was my kumu 'olelo Hawai'i at the time too. When moe played with SOH he was the lead singer for most songs. Other song Eddie would take. Dennis came after Moe left. Thats when they started to sound sort of like country music performers. Later on was Bruddah Smitty and the sound changed again. One time they had a country fiddler named Joe again the sound was different. But E ku'u morning dew in Hawaiian was the original as written by Larry Kimura and Moe Sang the lead. The English words recorded by Jay Larrin and Melveen Leed was nice but don't confuse it as a translation of the hawaiian because it isn't. Myrna probably would not correct Eddie in public since that is as we say 'make A' so Myrna would not say a word to contradict Eddie. So no confusion really. just take tings with a grain of salt. 8 to 10 years ago the song was already more than twenty plus years old as well.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 11/20/2007 11:15:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  04:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Dennis came after Moe left.
Actually, there was some overlap. I have two LPs with Moe and Dennis together. That should be Dennis's 12-string guitar we hear on "Morning Dew."

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  1:28:39 PM  Show Profile
Well I guess you da expert. You must have the recording and the credits. So then the Harmony would also probably be dennis as well. Would you care to share which LPs those would be. My collection got lost some time back so I have no reference.

Edited by - noeau on 11/21/2007 1:31:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  1:40:40 PM  Show Profile
No, no, no. It is Moe and Moe.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  1:42:55 PM  Show Profile
And Curly Joe. Wanda if you can digitize it send ne one copy please.

Edited by - noeau on 11/21/2007 1:43:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  1:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Well I guess you da expert. You must have the recording and the credits. So then the Harmony would also probably be dennis as well. Would you care to share which LPs those would be. My collection got lost some time back so I have no reference.

Well, I can honestly say I don't hear Dennis's voice on "Morning Dew." But that is his 12-string guitar.

The LPs to which I refer are both titled "Eddie Kamae Presents The Sons Of Hawaii" and were the first two for Eddie's Hawaii Sons label (HS-1001 and HS-2002). The first featured "Morning Dew," "Ke Ala A Ka Jeep," and "Kela Mea Whiffa." The second featured "E Kiss Kaua," "He Punahele No `Oe," "Hanakeoki," and "Wahine Ilikea." The basic line-up on both LPs was Eddie, Joe, Feets, Moe, and Dennis with a few guest artists thrown in.

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  2:21:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Well, I can honestly say I don't hear Dennis's voice on "Morning Dew." But that is his 12-string guitar.

Yes, Dennis was in the group at this time (his picture is on the cover), but it is not his voice as backup. And yes, that is him on the Guitar pa'ani's and I have been trying to emulate a similar melodic line (but on 6 string) for years. And of course, they are doing Dennis's song Wahine Ilikea on the second disc.

And, like I said, I gotta listen more to some stuff to see if I can hear Moe and Moe, instead of of Joe and Moe. (Moe or less) Not an unpleasant bit of research in any case!

I would be perfectly happy to be convinced it was Moe and Moe because I have always loved his voice. Eddie made the right decision for this song, if he had sung it, (his voice is not bad, and it was about him and his wife) it would not have had as big an impact as it did with the more liquid baritone ballad singer and perhaps would not have been as big a hit (IMHO).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 11/21/2007 2:24:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  2:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Agree 100% with what No`eau says regarding diacriticals. Makes it very easy for a non-native speaker to learn the language. Easier than English, because, if you see it, you say it, not like all that i before e except after c balderdash.

Regarding Joe Marshall or Moe Keale singing that, I watched Eddie Kamae's DVD about the Sons of Hawai`i last night and payed particularly close attention to the part about Joe Marshall. I did not notice similarities with Moe in his singing voice, other than, of course, it was sweet and beautiful. His speaking voice certainly has a different timbre to it than Uncle Moe's. However, Joe Marshall seemed like such as sweet, jolly, kind gentleman and perhaps a bit rascally.

In that film, I loved the story that Braddah Smitty told about Marshall losing his false teeth to the doggie. That happened to my Ma, sort of. She would come home from work and take her teeth out because they must have didn't fit right and our dog stole them off the end table and ran around with them in her mouth. I do believe my Ma was grumpy at the dog after that.

I have been listening to Morning Dew over and over trying to determine if that is not Moe's voice. I am telling you it sure sounds like Moe to be.

I want a voice print analysis.

I agree whole heartedly too. What I love about 'olelo is that basically everything is spelled the way it should be pronounced.

However, there has been a ninau on my mind that I haven't posted here yet. I'm going to do it after I submit this one.

No laila, a hui hou aku no!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  6:24:19 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Bill for the clarification. The Sons went thru some rapid changes in those years. It always seemed that Gabby would be there forever. Eddie was good at making changes and readjusting as needed.

Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  9:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
It was Moe who sang both lead and harmony on the song E Ku'u Morning Dew.

Aloha,
Dennis Kamakahi
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  7:38:51 PM  Show Profile
I also love (Walter) Keale's driving ukulele style on his "Kahikina" cd, and the energetic version of Ku'u Morning Dew...
Now I need the original "Sons" recording! Sometimes I go backwards to the source.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  07:23:57 AM  Show Profile
Lucky for you, that version -- originally only available on the Sons' vinyl (and cassette) album #1001 -- was included on the "Best of Sons of Hawai`i Vol 1" CD. You should be able to find that CD easily...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  02:48:09 AM  Show Profile
Uncle Dennis - thank you for setting the record straight. I just KNEW my ears could not be wrong on this!

And the bottom line still is that it is one of the most beautiful recordings ever made. Ever.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000