Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 You Tube - Pidgin 101 Lesson
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  02:07:41 AM  Show Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pElrghmZPq8
This video explains grammatical structure of pidgin, and how versatile one specific word is..."Wot".

Funny but teaches you in a way that you won't even realize you are being taught.

Thanks to Tita for teaching us.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  02:40:26 AM  Show Profile
Wanda
You would enjoy hearing "Little Red Riding Hood" in pidgin. I heard a man perform it at a Christmass event in Waialua,Oahu, when I was young kid (9). It was hillarious and I would love to find a recording of it. Does anyone know if one exists?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  05:02:59 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Haole_Boy

Wanda
You would enjoy hearing "Little Red Riding Hood" in pidgin. I heard a man perform it at a Christmass event in Waialua,Oahu, when I was young kid (9). It was hillarious and I would love to find a recording of it. Does anyone know if one exists?
You can find dat buggah right ovah heeyah on one CD by Kent Bowman a.k.a. da hilarious peedgin talking K.K. Kaumanua.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  05:25:18 AM  Show Profile
I got da buggah awready. I like da blonde malihini and da tree pua`a and da one bout Rumpledakineskin.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  06:02:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks brudda Ed
These are the stories I was talking about. They take me way back in time and I got one coming.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  08:22:57 AM  Show Profile
i wen see dat tita do dat skit befo too ... i no like da way she talks. she sounds waaaay to forced.

if i spok someting out dass fo real, I go post um sometime.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  09:55:42 AM  Show Profile
Too bad. Maybe get old Boogah Boogah or Rap Replinger stuff somewhere. But K.K. Kaumanua was the one I grew up with too. Alos sometimes Sterling Mossman would tell jokes in Pidgin too.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  10:30:20 AM  Show Profile
da_Joka
I think the CD sounds a little forced too, but when I heard it as a kid I remember it as being done pretty well. I don't remember any of my friends making fun of it anyway. I am just happy to hear those stories again, but if you do hear a better one let us (me) know :)

Bob
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  10:39:58 AM  Show Profile
i rembah rap replinger, he get da pidgin rhymes eh? ... i neva hea KK Kaumanua (i like da name already) befo ... I like Frank DeLima, but.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  6:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
There are a lot of pidgin-speaking entertainers who over do it, but I have heard several distinct variations of pidgin that might be from a certain locale, or just be associated with a person's enthusiasm for the mother tongue. On top of that, a dozen members of a single family may speak pidgin differently, some of them without a trace of the rhythm, while others are unintelligible to us mainlanders.
I love it all, but choose not to speak it because it's not my language.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  11:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by da_joka

i wen see dat tita do dat skit befo too ... i no like da way she talks. she sounds waaaay to forced.

if i spok someting out dass fo real, I go post um sometime.

She stay souning kina Kalihi-side or someting to me. But I only stay useded to Hawai`i-kine pidgin, not O`ahu-kine. She soun kina rugged.

Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  04:53:58 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hula Rider

She stay souning kina Kalihi-side or someting to me.

She soun kina rugged.
I would hand her my lunch money in a heartbeat. No like get lickens.

And by da way, da tita's name is Kathy Collins.
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  10:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
Ah - Chicago / Maui - that explains her dialect. What an interesting and accomplished woman!

Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  5:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
The decision I have made is to not check out the lesson, as this dialect of English should be reserved for Hawaiians or Hawaiians at heart who can have conversations with people wherever they are and be understood. For me, I don't think anyone over here would be able to comprehend what I would say. I can understand some of it but no can speak it dat maika'i. Das okay.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  6:21:28 PM  Show Profile
'Alika - it is more comedy than a language lesson.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  6:49:41 PM  Show Profile
http://blogs.honoluluadvertiser.com/index.php?blog=5&title=ho_wot_an_den&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

This is a link to the Honolulu Advertiser blog topic on pidgeon English posted in yesterday's paper. I'm not sure if anyone cares, but this may add some insight to how the language is viewed in Hawaii.

BTW the Honolulu Advertiser has an excellent blog section. The UH sports blog regularly gets about 500 post a day! Of course I never read or post while I'm at work.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000