Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Unresolved Endings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  07:55:28 AM  Show Profile
I have been listening to Indie Rock at work (web radio) for a change of pace. I switch around a lot because I like to hear different kinds of music.
Indie rockers are doing something so often that it is begining to be predictable and stale: many of the songs finish with an unresolved ending.

I don't mind unresolved endings, but when I hear it song after song it gets old fast!

Anyway, it made me wonder if there are many slack key tunes with unresolved endings. Not that I am interested in playing them, but I am curious now.

I do not recall hearing one since starting two years ago.

Bob

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  08:29:01 AM  Show Profile
Haina mai kapuana. Hard not to resolve that.

dog
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  10:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I learned "Kolomona Slack Key" from hanging with Kevin Brown awhile back. It was written by Nedward Kaapana and shows up under a different title as part of a medley on one of the Hui Ohana recordings (I think. Someone with a better memory/research skill can verify this.)

Anywho, the song's an instrumental in G, played in Taropatch, and ends with a Bb chord. I believe that would qualify as unresolved in anybody's book.

Keola's been known to leave things hanging, too. But I can't cite an example at the moment.

So I suppose that leaves the matter unresolved.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  10:38:12 AM  Show Profile
I too learned Kolomona from Kevin, one late night at Kaupoa. After holding the Bb for tension, he did resolve with a G harmonic. I'll try it the other way. Us old folkie/rockers like that kind of stuff. Thanks,

dog
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  12:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

I too learned Kolomona from Kevin, one late night at Kaupoa. After holding the Bb for tension, he did resolve with a G harmonic. I'll try it the other way. Us old folkie/rockers like that kind of stuff. Thanks,

dog

Ned's recording ends with a G chord, too. (It's on Hui Ohana's reunion CD, the eponymously titled "Hui Ohana.")

Resolution is not really a composition issue, but an arranging issue. I know of no Hawaiian songs that do not resolve to the tonic. Whether or not the player decides to do something differently is an artistic choice.

I recorded "Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua" in D but ended it on A. But that's not what Emma Bush intended when she composed it.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  10:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
You know it's funny, I recently bought a CD of the Carter Family and was surprised at how many of their songs just ended with a strum when they were done singing. I was going...what that's it?

Bob, please check out this band - http://www.myspace.com/paintbynumbers

My son composed, plays guitar and sings lead on all the songs. He's the one in the middle in the picture. We're pretty proud of him. And yes a few of their songs have what you call unresolved endings.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  1:57:35 PM  Show Profile
Since I married for the first time at 49 1/2...I have considered myself as expert at unresolved endings..."I remember days..."
An ending is a choice of the performer/arranger of any given song, concerto, group conciousness/unconciousness, or arrangement decision...
so if you ever hear some Cajun music, well they often go to a seemingly capricious chord AFTER an apparent end point/chord...usually the IV, but NOT ALWAYS!

It turns out that one principle reason that Cajun music had this extra chord, was that the accordian player needed to release the air out of the bellows, and (after maybe 4 or 3 beeers --absolute minimum), well then maybe 4 or 3 players do da same--sometimes on the same chord!

So, meanwhile, back on the big island, you're playing Hawaiian.

WHAT IF... (as Hewlitt and Alferd Packerd would say) you did a fade out, on a nice sweet turnaround...it might sound cool..like maybe "E Ku'u Morning Dew" or some other instrumental vamp with one or two repeating chords...

...except for that sometimes, ONE of da 4 or 3 players--whoz had maybe 12 or 11 beers...well, he don't fade away....he keeps rippin' his blues riffs...
no problem...
jus' he no be at next kanikapila.
or
WHAT IF all players landed on a IV maj 7, or maybe the Vi minor...
nice for mystical, dreamy grooves...

There are infinite possibilities...but somebody maybe gotta be da boss...
or maybe do it Very Garcia...
Something will always happen.
but for the sake of community, we need arrangements that we all can follow, and don't make all the listeners say, 'what you doin' brah?"
and maybe they know when to do standing ovation.

or maybe I jus' lettin' the air out of the bellows.
Indie Boudreau in Coloradeaux
Pick a chord...
any chord.

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  3:13:08 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kurt--awesome band

"Paint by Numbers" with you son's songwriting/singing is very good! As good or better that anything I hear on the web Indie station.

They have avoided some things that I discoverd to be predictable in Indie, such as a wierd, nerdy/wimpy sounding vocalist (why is that cool?), converstational lyrics, but they do use unresolved endings.

Thier unresolved endings worked out for me though. Maybe it was because they weren't just thrown in as a last minuite attempt to sound musical.

Congrats man, he rocks.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 12/02/2007 3:14:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  5:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
I had unresolved endings once. I took stool softener's and it went away.

Bing
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  5:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I think since everyones been telling their favorite jokes things have gotten alot funnier around here.

Kapila Kane - you're halarious. That was funny stuff....assuming you meant it to be funny of course.

Bob - Thanks for the compliments regarding my son's band. You're not the first one to say that they are as good as anything else they hear. We've learned alot about making it in the music biz and it ain't just all about talent. Sad thing is that he is with another band now after 7 years together, and he only plays guitar...don't sing at all. However this band does have a few connections. Here's a link. http://www.myspace.com/toliveanddieinla

Bing....well I just laughed alot.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Edited by - Podagee57 on 12/02/2007 5:49:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  7:29:08 PM  Show Profile
"Stool Softener and the Resolved Endings"...now that would make a realy good Indie name. LOL :)

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000