Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Next step?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gfoster
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  11:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Send gfoster an AOL message
I remember reading that Ozzie Kotani is supposed to have another book of tab coming out eventually. Anyone know the status on that? I'm working my way through his "hawaiian style" book and am really enjoying it, albeit slowly (I don't consider myself a musician by any stretch of the imagination which is why I generally read here and don't post heh).

I've tried some of Keola's stuff as well, but although it's beautiful and I'd love to be able to play it, it seems to be a little bit beyond my grasp as of yet. Ozzie's stuff seems to be much more approachable for me right now and I'd love to have more to practice with. I'm just content right now to have a few beautiful songs that I can sit out in the back yard and noodle around with, or I can get up and play quietly when I can't sleep. I don't think I'm in any danger of anyone accusing me of having talent, although I am learning to at least try and play from the heart a little.

Barring his new book, anyone have any recommendation on a slack key book or tab collection that I can get to help "bridge that gap" so to speak?

Mahalo...

-- Gary F.

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  12:45:54 PM  Show Profile
Mark Nelson's collection is good collection of classics; most are extremely playable. A very good value. Also Mark Hanson's book is a great collection of stuff that you can spend years learning. I know. I've managed to get a lot of them down.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  1:08:41 PM  Show Profile
Ozzie's latest teaching endeavor is the recently released DVD, which is excellent. I spent the better part of 4 days with him last week and I don't recall him mentioning a new TAB book. I think for time and cost effectiveness, he will probably put out another DVD.

Chunk's advice above is spot on. Even Keola's book has some accessable songs for beginners. "Minoaka" is an easy song, and it will stretch your fingers a bit.

I see you're in Concord. You missed a great workshop with Ozzie, plus we have an Open Mic the second Tuesday of the month in San Jose. Come on out. The group can be very helpful in getting you started.

Me Ke Aloha,

dog

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 11/19/2007 1:09:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

gfoster
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  2:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Send gfoster an AOL message
Thanks, I will have to grab the DVD, and I'll see about showing up once I get the holiday stuff out of the way. Crazy time of the year :) I'll also take a look at minoaka and Mark's stuff. Thank you very much for the pointers!

-- Gary F.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  4:27:03 PM  Show Profile
Ozzie's DVD and the first book go together well. The DVD still stands on its own and is VERY good.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  05:03:12 AM  Show Profile
Gary, the closest teaching materials to Ozzie's is Ron Loo's Series (they had some of the same teachers). Ron's is actually a bit deeper, historically, since there are 3 book/CD sets. In addition, Ron has arrangements of more "standards", while Oz leans toward "originals". This is absolutely no knock on Oz - he is wonderful, but just an observation. Sarah and I found it easier (back in the day) to progress from one to the other - then we included "The Marks (tm)" and Keola.

You can get his stuff on:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Arena/7009/

and you can read our reviews at:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44

(and 2 others immediately following in the Reviews section of this site, which I suggest you read completely.)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

gfoster
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  08:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Send gfoster an AOL message
Ok, Mark Nelson, Ron Loo and Ozzie's DVD.

Thanks everyone, now I have things for my Christmas list when people ask me "what do you want the fat man to bring?"

:)

-- Gary F
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  09:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Ron's stuff is also accessible at http://www.ronloo.com (a little easier to remember!).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  11:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Agree with all the above.

I might add that Ozzie is in the process of creating the second DVD in the series. My understanding is that this project is well underway, so hopefully the 2nd of 3 planned DVD's will be available soon.

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  12:56:54 PM  Show Profile
When I met Ozzie for lessons in May he said some of the work for the second DVD had been filmed. He and his partner were advised to see how the first DVD fared in the market before publishing any follow-on (sonded like wise advice to me). From the buzz on just this forum I would guess he has sold 50 or more to Taropatchers. Don't know if that is enough to make it a viable business proposition. One would have to ask Ozzie and his partner and hope for the best. I know I am enjoying the first one.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

JCat
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  2:23:51 PM  Show Profile
I am interested in the Ozzie Kotani DVD you have mentioned in this thread and have looked for it an have found only one. Is the DVD referenced here: Ozzie Kotani: Ki ho 'alu Vol. 1?

I have one of his books ("Playing guitar Hawaiian Style") and lookin for more good help . . .

Thanks

JCat
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  3:37:30 PM  Show Profile
Yes, that's it. Here's a link to more info click.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  5:01:14 PM  Show Profile
Let us not forget Ianui's contribution, Slack Tracks at http://www.slacktracks.com/ Also a good way to start.

dog
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  7:51:48 PM  Show Profile
tanks fo sharing da link ... neva heard of slack tracks befo! looks great,

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly