Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Cryptic message of the month
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  12:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I have it from a very reliable source that a certain cat has been dancing with the tradewinds, convincing them to blow once again.

More to come....

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  03:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
CPatch,
Thanks for the Great news. That would truly be awesome!

Ross
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  10:57:14 AM  Show Profile
Huh???

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  12:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Without knowing what is being discussed, and without giving away any conjecture, I can say that Dancing Cat is the premiere slack key label, and Tradewinds was a prominent Hawaiian label that recorded Ray Kane and Leonard Kwan. And that Tradewinds ceased operation on the death of its founder.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  1:01:09 PM  Show Profile

maopopo ia'u

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  4:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
And the really intriguing angle is that (as I think has been discussed here before), the late founder asked that the master tapes be destroyed on her death, and that request was carried out. So say the people I've asked, though I've not found an eyewitness or anything yet.

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  6:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
That IS intriguing, isn't it?!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  12:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Who knows, they might be pulling it from vinyl too. Like the "King Bennie Nawahi" CD, which was processed from 78's I believe, CD on Yazoo, but pulled from Hula Records(?).

http://www.yazoorecords.com/2055.htm

This Cd is worth the price just for "Singing in the Bathtub"

"singing in the bathtub
looking for a rub,
everybody's happy
while singing in the tub...

ohh, a ring around the bathtub
is a rainbow to me"

I sing it often in the...shower; close enough for me!

What happens with the copyrights if the label ceased to be legally, along with it's founder? If the rights weren't sold that is.

Edited by - rossasaurus on 02/08/2003 12:40:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  12:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
What happens with the copyrights if the label ceased to be legally, along with it's founder? If the rights weren't sold that is.

The disposition of property is determined by a written legal instrument it could be either a simple will or an elaborate estate plan, or in the absence of a written document, determined through probate. Each one of states will have differences in the process and final determination of the estate.

If estate planning was utilized (prior to death), than a good effort would have been made over a period of time to transfer property through a document(s) of assignment, as much of the assets allowed by law to the surviving spouse, family member or assignee (this item is important and may come into play in this case). Transferring assets would mitigate estate taxes.

Copyrights, patents, trademarks and tradenames are what are called intagible assets. As assets they possess value much like real property. They are considered the property of their registered owners. Ownership can be sold, assigned or transferred by act of law (i.e., bankruptcy).

Concerning most of the Tradewinds catalog, under ordinary circumstances, when you look at the dates that these records were manufactured and distributed --1960 through the 1970s -- the 1909 copyright laws would apply to the catalogs disposition.

The first question you should ask is are these albums registered? The second question in regards to the 1909 act should be were these albums ejected into the public domain because of the failure to put a copyright notice on the record label? The failure to provide the c in a circle, p in a circle for publishing, and the year the copyright was secured, immediately forfeited copyright.

I haven't been requested to do a title search on the Tradewinds catalog but I suspect that they were not registered for federal copyright, because each one of the labels that I have from Tradewinds lacks the notice and date of year the copyright was secured.

I know for a fact that Pierre Grill owner of Rendevous recording remastered Gabby and Attas "Two Slack Key Guitars" using an LP as a source for the CD reissue, because the original masters were destroyed at the request of Margaret Williams-Tuft. Interesting stuff no?

Peter M
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  2:43:09 PM  Show Profile
Cryptic message translated...

According to Ben Churchill -- VP of Dancing Cat Records -- here's da scoops. Cord/Hana Ola will be re-releasing two recordings this year, with liner notes written by George Winston (Dancing Cat President).

One of the CDs is an old one from Ray Kane, I think it's this one:
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/118.htm

The other is Leonard Kwan's "red album":
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/1057.htm

Ben had no firm release date for either CD, but this will be _widely_ available.

-- auntie maria
HAWAIIAN MUSIC ISLAND www.mele.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  8:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
1976's "Nanakuli's Raymond Kane: This Is Slack Key" (TS-1130) will be Ray's release from what I understand. "Master of the Slack Key Guitar" is a Rounder Records release, not Tradewinds...it's music and commentary recorded for the Robert Mugge film "Hawaiian Rainbow." (It's still worth getting though...if only for the live version of "La Paloma".)

"Nanakuli's Raymond Kane" (as it's usually referred to) is a great LP, although it's not just Ray...there are three other session musicians playing with him. (One cut is pure Ray.) Ray's playing is front and center on all the tracks though, and he's in top form as well. It's a must have for any Raymond Kane fan.

Tracks:

Side One:
1. Nahoa He`enalu
2. Wai O Ke Aniani
3. Pua Sadinia
4. Punahele
5. Waialae-Halona Medley

Side Two:
1. Keiki Slack Key
2. Hi`ilawe
3. Wa`ahila
4. `Ulupalakua
5. Maui Chimes

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 02/09/2003 01:35:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2003 :  02:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Also, FWIW, an original copy of Leonard Kwan's "The Old Way" just went for $100 on eBay. (Anyone here buy it?)

Craig
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000