Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hawaiian Recipes for low sodium diet
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  03:10:04 AM  Show Profile
I received a delivery from Native Books Hawai`i. In it were Alu Like's Healthy Local Recipes for Hawai`i's KÅ«puna by Elizabeth Meahl and Hawai`i Light and Healthy by Diana Helfand.

Both show nutritional information at the end of each recipe such as calories, sodium, fat and cholesterol content. In addition, both books are spiral bound so the book will stay open to the page you want while you are cooking.

Only trouble is getting some of the ingredients here in Ohio, but for the most part, these books will help me tremendously.

Also - I have found an on-line source for low and no-sodium stuff such as no-sodium baking powder and baking soda. For many baked goods, these add a tremendous amount of sodium. I thought I would never be able to have biscuits again, but now I can. That web site is www.healthyheartmarket.com .

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  07:17:55 AM  Show Profile
http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/index.htm
Here's more info on the subject.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  02:24:12 AM  Show Profile
This past weekend I made a turkey breast in the style of Kalua Pig -- with NO added salt. I did use some magic liquids, though. I have a recipe for a soy sauce substitute that is salt free (and boy, does it ever tast just like soy sauce). I also used a commercially purchased salt free marinate "Maple and Fig", and I used a wee bit of fresh squeezed orange juice. I put baby spinach on the bottom; rubbed the turkey with liquid smoke and put it on top of the spinach; poured my magic liquids over it all, put another layer of baby spinach on top of that. I cooked it in the crock pot for about 6 hours. It wasn't Kalua Pig, but it was a very tasty approximation.

One thing I have found...rice does need a bit of salt. Cooking rice with nothing but water makes a tasteless bunch of rice. Just maybe 1/8 tsp. is all you need. But being allowed to have a whole teaspoon worth in one day's allocation, I would prefer using part of that ration in the rice.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  7:24:11 PM  Show Profile
hea's one odda mo healthy hawaiian style cookook:

http://starbulletin.com/2008/02/20/features/story01.html

enjoy!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  9:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
EAT MORE KALO!
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  09:49:12 AM  Show Profile
sen some up hea fo us on da mainland ;-P i miss my poi!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000