Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Only In Hawai`i
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KäneKïHö`alu
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  09:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Send KäneKïHö`alu an AOL message
Aloha käkou,

I was wondering if anyone had stories of things that would happen only in Hawai`i. We came up with some stories at hale pule and some of it was really funny. For example, a story I have is when I went to a friend's house for a surprise birthday party. About 30 people were there. We had all the lights in the house turned off and were waiting to yell "surprise" when he came in the door. But when he did, he just started cracking up and said, "Wow, you guys funny." What happened was that everyone left their slippers outside at the door!!! It spoiled the surprise. Ah...only in Hawai`i.

E mālama pono a e hoʻomaha ma ka maluhia o ke Akua,

Matt

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  10:55:53 AM  Show Profile
My boyfriend lived in Lanikai but was originally from Colorado. He was in the Hawai'i Air National Guard at the time. One beautiful morning he was standing in the garden, hands on hips, admiring this big tree.

I asked him what he was thinking and he replied that he was wondering when the tree would finally reward him with some bananas. It had big white flowers but no fruit. Before I cracked up laughing I was sorry to inform him that it was not a banana tree but a Strelitzia nicolai: giant white bird-of-paradise.

Well, how do you know this stuff if you didn't grow up with it?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  11:45:09 AM  Show Profile
Once on Kauai, my wife and I were invited to a retirement party, outdoors at a public park in Kekaha. 500 people, live music, lots of eats, dancing, kids running around. It got dark and the pavilion lights went on. Shortly thereafter the entire party was engulfed by a huge (millions) swarm of migrating termites, attracted by the lights. So many bugs, it was becomming dangerous to breathe. Someone finally killed the lights and sent a rescue party across the park to illuminate the ball field. The termites eventually found the new attraction. Never seen this happen before.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  11:53:20 AM  Show Profile
For all you old sailors -- "this is a no sh--ter"

I was once stationed on an old destroyer in Pearl Harbor. While standing the quarterdeck watch as the dutiful "Officer of the Deck", a very young bosun's mate came up to me with a big black bag on his back, stood at attention, saluted me, and requested permission to go ashore, to "take out the Mahalo". . . . I asked him first (trying to keep a straight face), "Seaman Recruit Brown, where did you learn your Hawaiian?" He had a GIANT GRIN on his face and said, "Why sir, all the trash cans say Mahalo, it was easy!"

Needless to say, I gave him permission to go ashore and take out the "mahalo". To this day, I'm not sure if he ever figured out why all the rest of the crew always called him "Mahalo Brown".

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  12:10:34 PM  Show Profile
On my most recent trip home, my favorite Aunty and I were holoholo-ing on O`ahu. We were stopped at the light by Castle Junction when she told me to roll down my window (on the passenger side). She got the attention of the braddah in the business truck next to us and said "Eh, you know Wally?" Da braddah nodded. "Tell him come back to Scrabble! (Aunty belongs to one of the Scrabble clubs in Honolulu.) Tell him [Aunty's name] said!" Braddah smiled, waved shaka, and proceeded through the intersection, the light now green. Aunty had recognized the business name on the truck as being the place where Wally worked, and since she had been wondering what had become of him and wanted him to come back to Scrabble, she took the direct route. At first, she did not realize how odd an exchange this was, but we both laughed until we cried when we got out of the car.

PS - Wally showed up at Scrabble the next night!
Go to Top of Page

KäneKïHö`alu
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  6:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Send KäneKïHö`alu an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

For all you old sailors -- "this is a no sh--ter"

I was once stationed on an old destroyer in Pearl Harbor. While standing the quarterdeck watch as the dutiful "Officer of the Deck", a very young bosun's mate came up to me with a big black bag on his back, stood at attention, saluted me, and requested permission to go ashore, to "take out the Mahalo". . . . I asked him first (trying to keep a straight face), "Seaman Recruit Brown, where did you learn your Hawaiian?" He had a GIANT GRIN on his face and said, "Why sir, all the trash cans say Mahalo, it was easy!"

Needless to say, I gave him permission to go ashore and take out the "mahalo". To this day, I'm not sure if he ever figured out why all the rest of the crew always called him "Mahalo Brown".

LOL! Wow this one is great!
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  8:26:16 PM  Show Profile
OK, same boyfriend, "Jack", different house in Lanikai. You know that grass patch between street and house that most people consider the parking area? Elephant grass.

Well, that particular time when I was visiting him in Hawai'i, his car was in the shop. I had to borrow a "rental car" from a dealership where the owner was a friend of a friend. I had parked it on that grass strip and went into the house when I heard this horrific crash, and ran out to see my rental hatchback car all smashed in from the back, the kid putting his car in reverse and taking off down the street. (I did run after it long enough to get a license plate.)

Anyway, lots of shattered glass in the "parking strip". I tried to get most of it, but finally Jack went into the house to get something. Next thing you know, he's out there with the vacuum cleaner, vacuuming the grass and everyone who drove by gave him the "look". Well, you don't often see a gentleman in the afternoon out there vacuuming his grass, not even in Lanikai!

Awful part is, I was broke, and had to bring the car back to the dealer and explain to him that I coudn't possibly pay for the damage, but the police found the kid, so make him pay!

Julie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000