Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 He Mele Aloha book giveaway
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  07:59:48 AM  Show Profile
sorry to miss out on this...
I'm one of the 3 taropatchers who doesn't yet own this...
Our Colorado Costco isn't that hip to Hawaii.
So where's my best option...online I assume?

For, my favorite music publications I often buy a 2nd copy...
one to carry, bang around, use and wear out; and one if it goes OOP and so it doesn't look like the Atlas in my car...

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 02/08/2008 08:01:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  10:57:52 AM  Show Profile
The usual suspects:

Amazon.com
borders.com
barnesandnoble.com
AND
bishopmuseum.org

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  09:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message
James:
Congratulations on winning the book James.
Now we can both go kani with the mele book
Les
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  10:44:32 AM  Show Profile
Last time I talked to Kim Hussey. He mentioned a rewrite of the book to add songs and correct language etc. Would be nice if get melody notation or tabs.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 08/25/2008 10:45:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  11:42:02 AM  Show Profile
We heard that last May in Honolulu. Don't know when the new edition will be out. No news about notes or tab, either. But if you want the current edition, and find it somewhere, snap it up. It's getting rare. We did see several Japanese editions, but the english version is almost completely out of print. We chanced on one at the gift shop at Queen Emma's Summer Palace, and it was their last copy. I can't sing very many Hawaiian songs without it.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  4:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
A buddy just picked up a copy at a local bookstore, it's a perfect bound reprint of the first revision, with a 2008 printing date. No info on further revisions.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  4:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach just got a box of them. They put three of them out on the rack when I was in there around noon.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  1:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

sorry to miss out on this...
I'm one of the 3 taropatchers who doesn't yet own this...
Our Colorado Costco isn't that hip to Hawaii.
So where's my best option...online I assume?

For, my favorite music publications I often buy a 2nd copy...
one to carry, bang around, use and wear out; and one if it goes OOP and so it doesn't look like the Atlas in my car...

One of the four actually...

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

BVfromSJ
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  10:46:10 AM  Show Profile
My Favorite is Punahele by the lete great Ray Kane. Love it. I learned it from his DVD. I like to play it old style, and sometimes with a little jazzy kick. I use an old Takamini guitar tuned Taro Patch. Learned Taro Patch from Uncle George Kahumoku a few years ago, and never went back to "normal tuning". Mahal Uncle George for saving my giuitar from the kindling pile! Mele Kalikimaka to all at T.P. Org.

Lopaka.

Lopaka
Go to Top of Page

Mark Alan
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  3:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark Alan's Homepage
So.....I want this book, but don't have time to do an internet order before leaving for Kona........

Does anyone know of a store on the Big Island I can pick this up in?
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  6:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Are you a Costco member? Costco in Hawaii usually carries it. You will find it at other bookstores too.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  6:37:28 PM  Show Profile
When we were O`ahu last May, could not find the books in English anywhere. Could find plenty with translations to Japanese. I think we bought the last one on O`ahu at Queen Emma's Summer Home gift shop. It is out of print because they are working on revisions and additions, according to Aaron Mahi. So I think Braddah Jay has the last copy from O`ahu island. We hunted for the book everywhere we went and only could find the Japanese copies. And then it was just serendipity that the last day, Jay took us for a ride up Nu`uanu and Pauoa and such. We had not planned to, but we went to Queen Emma's Summer Home just shortly before they were closing. We made a quick run through the house, enough to know we want to go back; then went to the gift shop. Bling. There it was, last one they had and the lady told us no more available from publisher and that if anyone finds one they should snap it up quick, which we did and gave to our hanai braddah. And voila, he sings the beautiful Koke`e and Ku`u Home o Kahalu`u for us.

Plenty of Japanese copies at Native Books Hawai`i. At least it gives you the chords and the Hawaiian words.

But Ahunno what is on Big Island.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 02/01/2009 6:45:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  8:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Two weekends ago I saw a couple of (English) copies in 2 shops in San Jose's Japantown -- the ukulele shop and the gift store that sells Hawaiian CD's (across from Hukilau)
Go to Top of Page

Mark Alan
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  5:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark Alan's Homepage
Well, I'm not a costco member, but I do like to browse music stores and book stores. If I find one while on the Big Island, I'll let everyone know...just in case.

Just a short day away from my flight........
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  6:02:07 PM  Show Profile
Boarders, WalMart...They're not spiral bound anymore either. Should even be available on-line @ Borders. (Just checked...Boarders on-line is back ordered.)

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000