Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Polynesians originally Pake?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  05:11:39 AM  Show Profile
Interesting genetic study, indirectly involving Pat Kirch:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/18/world/asia/18islands.html?ref=science

So, Andy, maybe you and Kevin dem are actually related. (Of course, you are distantly related to me, too :-).

...Reid

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  06:33:44 AM  Show Profile
I have seen a show on the History Channel that spoke to the issue of sea-faring beginning in Taiwan and close by area of mainland China. This show postulated that therefore, majority of polynesian peoples have been descended from these original Chinese wanderers. It further postulated that this is where the expertise in navigating originated. They did have some hard proof of actual vessels and have dated them to whatever time frame they were talking about, but from what I remember, Ithought that the rest of what they were saying was pure conjecture.

Basically, what I have read that sounds most probable is that it all started in the "fertile crescent". All of it -- you, me, Andy, Nani, and everyone else. Musta been that Ur of Chaldea thing.

Who knows? Who can prove? Makes for interesting discussion, though.

What I have noticed that on Fanning Island, the folks there are definitely melanesian as opposed to polynesian. Matter of fact, I told Paul that they appeared very similar in appearance to certain darker complected people from India. Could that be where melanesians originated? Once again, who knows?

Pretty soon, so many bloodlines, ethnicities will have intermarried and nobody is pure anything anymore. We will all be humans. Works for me.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  11:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
I got a brief glimpse of polynesian migration when taking a course on ethnobotany. One of the main items that helped link everything together genetically was a plant found in the steppes of upper Mongolia. In Hawai'i we call it Kalo but it is better known as Taro. Archeologist don't know exactly where it all started because there are so many cross migrations that occured where a group went back the way it came and then reversed and went back the other way. It is fascinating to ponder where it all started.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

KäneKïHö`alu
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  10:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Send KäneKïHö`alu an AOL message
There is strong evidence that Polynesians came from the Malaysia/Indonesia area, who came from the India area. There are many similarities in the languages, especially the tribal languages of Indonesia. Even in Hindi, the main language of India, the word for moon/month is mahina, the same as in Hawaiian. The Malaysian/Indonesian people are a mix of Indian and Chinese, so yes, Polynesians probably do have distant Chinese ancestry. Also, native Taiwanese aren't Pake, but closer to Melanesian looking. I have a friend whose stepdad is African-American and went to Taiwan. All the Pake there started speaking to him in Chinese because they thought he was a native Taiwanese!!! I always find it fascinating learning where different peoples came from and putting the pieces of the puzzle of history together and seeing the big picture more and more.

E mālama pono a e hoʻomaha ma ka maluhia o ke Akua,

Matt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000