Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hawai`i's Best places - Na Wahi Heke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  1:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Here is an article from the Sunday Honolulu Advertiser. I would be interested to see what the rest of you would suggest as the top place to visit in Hawai`i. As the article says, mele pana, or place songs, praise a remarkable or notable place. What place do you think is worthy of that praise? Why?

For me, it is Kilauea. I cannot possibly describe the sense of awe that I get when looking over what initially one thinks of as desolation and destruction. Then, you see a crack in the lava and a tiny fern starting to grow. Then it dawns on you that this is not destruction, but rather creation. There are very few places where you can witness creation. Very few places where you can witness the power of the `aina. You sure get that sense when you see the lava overrun the roads that man has built or when you see the lava hitting the sea. Wow.
----------------
Here is the article:
Posted on: Sunday, January 6, 2008
Top spots of Hawaii
HAWAI'I'S BEST PLACES CONTEST

Deadline: Feb. 1. And if you've got photos — sharp hard copies or digital files (jpeg or tiff), we'd love to have them (and we'll pay for their use).

Nominees for Na Wahi Heke/Hawai'i's Best Places to Travel can be e-mailed — wadams @ honoluluadvertiser.com; faxed, 525-8055; or mailed, Honolulu Advertiser, P.O. Box 3110, Honolulu, HI 96802.
-------------------------------------

Hawaiian poetry, chant and song often celebrate places.

If you were a composer, what place would you commemorate, and what would you praise about it?

Which storied spot would you nominate to a list of Na Wahi Heke — Hawai'i's Best Places?

Help us find it and we'll help you get there, with a pair of air tickets to the Neighbor Islands, to be awarded to a name randomly drawn from among those who participate in our effort to identify Hawai'i's top 25 spots to visit before you die.

Would you choose a grand landscape, like Maui's Haleakala Crater or Kaua'i's Waimea Canyon?

A windy headland on the Big Island's South Point or O'ahu's Ka'ena?

The peek-a-view cliff road to Maui's Kahakuloa, or along Hawai'i's Hamakua Coast?

A secret fishing or diving spot off Lana'i, or the keyhole of Molokini?

This special travel feature will appear March 2.

Send us 250 words naming the place, how to get there, and why it's your nominee. Include your name, the neighborhood in which you live and a daytime phone number (for our use only; it will not be printed).

Please: no "secret" places — one you won't tell us how to get to — or places we're not supposed to go, those that must be accessed through private or posted lands or locked gates. It is OK to discuss places with limited legal access, such as certain preserves where hiking is regulated, and so on.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

KäneKïHö`alu
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  10:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Send KäneKïHö`alu an AOL message
personally I love Waipi`o Valley. I think it's the most beautiful place in Hawai`i.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  11:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
For me, Ke'e Beach, Kauai, at sunset.

Small palm grove, the Na Pali coast, perfect beach, lush foliage...and the way a Hawaiian sunset touches it all. The kaleidoscope of colors reflecting off the pali, the waves, the lagoon...just magical. Yep, that's it for me. Such a serene and humbling experience.

In my mind and heart, certainly a place worthy of a mele.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000