Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Testing Forum
 Hawaiian unicode fonts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  09:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Testing Hawaiian unicode:

ĀĒĪŌŪ'
āēīōū'

kīhō'alu
Mānoa
hālāwai
kahakō

Andy

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  09:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I think this is working. Cross your fingers that I did not break anything in the process. Please feel free to test here.

FYI, visit Kualono and there are directions on installing and using the Hawaiian Unicode keyboard. Click the appropriate link for Macintosh or Windows.

This is cool, but now I feel the need to use the 'okina and kahakō correctly. Ignorance was bliss. Check Hawaiian Dictionaries for help.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  10:31:50 AM  Show Profile
Aloha mai kāua e Andy,

Just checking it out!

kī hōʻalu
Mānoa
ka ʻōlelo

na Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  10:44:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Through experimentation, it seems that if you're using the Hawaiian Unicode keyboard in Windows -- you need to press the right Alt key and apostrophe to get the 'okina. Otherwise, you get the box.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  10:55:43 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

quote:

quote:

test

Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū ‘

Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū ‘

Copying and pasting the characters in my sig line seems to work.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  11:01:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Does the unicode font display correctly if you do not have Hawaiian fonts on your computer? I am not sure since all my computers have Hawaiian fonts installed. Just curious.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  11:05:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Does the unicode font display correctly if you do not have Hawaiian fonts on your computer? I am not sure since all my computers have Hawaiian fonts installed. Just curious.

It's displaying fine for me, and I haven't installed the Hawaiian fonts.

Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  11:07:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

It's displaying fine for me, and I haven't installed the Hawaiian fonts.

Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū ‘

I just copied and pasted the above. Would seem to be simpler than having to use the Alt key.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  11:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
guavasunrise,

How are you getting a proper 'okina? When I try, I get this: #699 ʻ

Andy
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  11:10:52 AM  Show Profile
ā ē ī ō ū Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ʻ ĀĒĪŌŪ

āēīōū ĀĒĪŌŪ ʻ

ĀĒĪŌŪ

ĀĒĪŌŪ āēīōū ʻ

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 01/18/2008 11:21:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  11:13:22 AM  Show Profile
quote:

guavasunrise,

How are you getting a proper 'okina? When I try, I get this: #699 ʻ

By simply copying and pasting the characters from my signature line like this:

Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū ‘ \m/

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  04:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Through experimentation, it seems that if you're using the Hawaiian Unicode keyboard in Windows -- you need to press the right Alt key and apostrophe to get the 'okina. Otherwise, you get the box.

This is not true. Testing on a Mac and I can see the ʻokina.

Regular apostrophe = ʻokina.

On the Mac, I press the left Alt/option key and the letter:

āēīōūʻ
ĀĒĪŌŪʻ

ʻʻʻ ʻokina
''' Alt apostrophe = straight apostrophe

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  04:32:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm on a PC using the Hawaiian Unicode keyboard.
Font is set at default for these response windows.

I will type an apostrophe: '
That was the right ALT key with the apostrophe key.

Now here is an ʻokina: ʻ
That was the apostrophe key alone. Note the nice curly little shape.

--end of test --

[edit:] And yup, I can see them properly online in the forum.

Edited by - Sarah on 01/19/2008 04:34:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  08:01:30 AM  Show Profile
I see Braddah Ed's vowels with the kahako just fine and 'okina just fine. With Andy's, Sara's and Big Dog's, your 'okina shows up as a square box. Except that the very first post Andy put under this topic does show up correctly.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  08:52:34 AM  Show Profile
I never see a box from any of these posts on a plain vanilla (no special fonts, no special nothing) WinXP SP2, latest Firefox, IBM Thinkpad Laptop. Each looks correct in it own way, i.e., Dawg's, Andy's and Sarah's are totally correct. guavasunrise has an incorrect `okina (I used <backtick>) - OTW OK.

Now I will try:

<apostrophe> gives ' - not correct

<alt> <apostrophe> gives nothing - not correct

<click> <drag> [<alt> <c>] from Sarah's post (like guavasunrise did)
gives ʻ - correct

No control-letter key can write the fonts; all copy-pastes work, as:

āēīōūʻ
ĀĒĪŌŪʻ

Copying the above into WinWord gives all the vowels correctly, but the `okina becomes box. (I used this as a handy-dandy copy paste source - a small doc in a separate window is easy to use as a source.) Funny, even WinXp can use those āēīōū vowels as a file name.

So, for those machines that don't have the fonts, as guavasunrise found out, and this confirms, the only way to do this is copy-paste.

I could install the unicode fonts on this machine, but since I don't write Hawaiian often on this machine and can use the tower if I want to, I'll struggle through with copy paste. Moreover, the fonts on the tower that Sarah uses, give me a pain when I am using it, because they are just another resource that fills up the machine and I have to explicitly shut everything down (for my purposes), including it.

...Reid

[edit]: Everything looks as expected after posting, too.

Edited by - Reid on 01/19/2008 08:55:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  09:19:14 AM  Show Profile
What constitutes a "proper" 'okina? From a linguistics perspective, the symbol is simply a visual clue that the following vowel sound begins with a glottal stop. It strikes me that whether the symbol is displayed as ‛ or ' or ’, it has conveyed its intended meaning. Is it possible that the convention of a right-curving symbol is a legacy from a word-processor or desk-top publishing package which employed so-called "smart quotes" wherein the starting mark curves right while the closing mark curves left?

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000