Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Testing Forum
 Hawaiian unicode fonts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  12:28:02 PM  Show Profile
Ben, I am sure Andy meant "proper" only in the sense that an action with the computer input device(s) results in what the supplied font program produces as a result. Please don't get into any linguistics/semantics argumentation, or we will start getting into esoteric questions like: Does typing an "A" convey the "meaning" (whatever you meant by that word "meaning") of the symbol? And, other circular stuff. Go with ʻ and let people start typing Hawaiian.

If you want to know about the history of Hawaiian fonts for computers, ask Keola Donaghy in another thread in "Talk Story" or email him.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  12:54:37 PM  Show Profile
Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū ʻ

The above copied and pasted from my sig line which now includes the curly ʻokina.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  2:19:02 PM  Show Profile
OK now I only see the box for the `okina from Braddah Ed. Everything else is OK. Is that because I have not downloaded the stuff from the web site that Andy suggested?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  3:58:27 PM  Show Profile
No Wanda, it is not because you have not downloaded anything. Recall that I am accessing this from a plain vanilla Wintel PC using Firefox. Maybe you need to set something inside IE, if you are using that. Your browser is acting just as WinWord does. That suggests to me, that it is a MSoft issue; as Sarah just suggested to me (because she is akamai to the max) that your default font may not be a unicode font. Is it Times New Roman, or is it something squirrely, like Trebuchet, or whatever (Wingdings perhaps?).

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  4:25:06 PM  Show Profile
Reid -- umm, uh, well...I dunno.

How could I figure that out? Sara is very akamai, but I am not. Matter of fact, it is amazing that I know how to access Taro Patch at all. I am a techno-dummy.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  4:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Wanda, if you're using Windows Internet Explorer(IE) as your web browser, clicking on Tools/Internet Options from the IE menu bar will bring up the following:

Click on the Fonts tab to see if the Latin based Webpage font is set to Times New Roman. If it isn't, then do so, and then see if the Hawaiian unicode fonts display correctly for you.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  6:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I have not downloaded anything; I see the ʻokina and kahakō as posted by Ed-the-Wise, and was able to copy-and-paste them into this posting. I'm using a PC and Firefox. And with a complete lack of psychotropic hallucinogens.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  12:01:21 AM  Show Profile
Mine says Times New Roman and Courier New. Still see the box instead of `okina.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  12:41:32 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Mine says Times New Roman and Courier New. Still see the box instead of `okina.
Using the scroll up-down arrows on the right of the Webpage font box, scroll up and change the font selection from Times New Roman to Arial Unicode MS, and then reload or refresh this web page to see if that helps. If it doesn't work, then change it back to Times New Roman and see if someone else might have a better solution.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  04:05:45 AM  Show Profile
Did not work. With several people using the computer (two of which periodically are my daughters who think they know EVERYTHING about computers), who knows what configuration I have or how things have been changed by them. I will figure it out eventually.

Bottom line is that we do have the capability of properly honoriing the written Hawaiian language. Once I figure out how to make my computer do things the right way, I will be able to honor the language myself.

Mahalo to all involved for doing this.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  10:54:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Once I figure out how to make my computer do things the right way, I will be able to honor the language myself.
In the meantime, I don't think anyone will be coming down too hard on you if you used a simple ' apostrophe or a ` grave accent character to convey an 'okina. The bigger challenge will be learning when and where to properly insert the kahakō and 'okina.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  12:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Braddah Ed - thank you for your help. I will learn proper usage of 'okina and kahakō since Santa Claus brought me some DVD software for learning 'olelo Hawai'i.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  7:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:

OK now I only see the box for the `okina from Braddah Ed. Everything else is OK.
If somebody figures this out, please let me (us) know. I have the same problem on my PC at work.

My laptop and iMac at home do not have this issue.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  04:08:16 AM  Show Profile
Andy, and Wanda, it is not an IE issue, nor Firefox. I never, ever, used the "new" IE when it was installed automatically by download update and have always used Firefox since Firefox 1.0 came out. So, my IE is pure default and it displays the fonts correctly, as does Firefox.

This means to me that it is a WinXP setting that is at issue. At least the hunting ground is slightly smaller ;-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  11:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Reid, I was looking through the Testing Forum to get some ideas about posting a picture of my trawler to complement a reply to your question and read your comment about Firefox. I recently bought a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. I have heard many good things about Firefox; would you give me any insights you have about Firefox with that OS? I am lame beyond belief in this sort of thing (When I learned WordStar I thought I was done with word processing although Nota Bene was very cool) so anything you would pass on to me will be greatly appreciated. And if anyone else would chime in I would obviously be the better for it.

Actually, this is my second laptop. In 1994 I bought a Sager NP7500 with 8MB of RAM and 520MB HD. The CPU was an Intel 486. I hooked it up to a software package from an outfit in San Diego (which did not make the transition from Windows for Workgroups) and to a Megellan GPS (which is no longer supported by the company) and so far it works just fine.

Ah, technology.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000