Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Robert Cazimero
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KäneKïHö`alu
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  09:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Send KäneKïHö`alu an AOL message
I was listening to some music by the Bros. Cazimero earlier this week and came to a realization. Is it just me, or does Robert Cazimero have absolutely the most beautiful voice on earth? I honestly can't think of anyone else in any genre, male or female, who's better. Not even Pavarotti (though he's amazing, too.)

E mālama pono a e hoʻomaha ma ka maluhia o ke Akua,

Matt

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  12:06:51 PM  Show Profile
Robert is such a well trained musician, both with his voice and his instrumental playing. His piano playing is beautiful, as is his bass. But the voice, oh, the voice. He can soar like an eagle. But please keep in mind, he sounds so good because Roland is right there beside him with those high harmonies. A thang of beauty, my friend. A thang of beauty.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  12:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
My favorites are still Nathan Aweau and Willie K...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  12:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by ArtSap

My favorites are still Nathan Aweau and Willie K...

Hey Art,

You have good taste. Those guys are killer musicians.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  12:27:56 PM  Show Profile
Well, if we are talking about all genres...

Robert is very good indeed and even sounds a little "classical" at times...

...but right now I like Andrea Bocelli the best for classics and even when he sings pop.

As for females in any genre, my favorite would be Mary Black, even though she is just "an Irish country singer".

...and most especially when she sings material by Noel Brazil.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/22/2008 12:43:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  1:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
Yes, I agree that Robert just gets up there and sings. I remember back in the 80's he did two solo concerts with the Honolulu Symphony (minus Roland)where he sang some pop numbers ("Come In From The Rain" stands out in my memory).

I've had the pleasure of learning from him while at Kamehameha and also accomponied him several times. I let him borrow my bass once, I've never washed it after that...lol. Nah, he's the best!

Like the previous posts, after Robert I think Nathan Aweau and Uncle Willie K are sooo awesome!!!
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  3:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

Well, if we are talking about all genres...
Were we?
quote:
...but right now I like Andrea Bocelli the best for classics and even when he sings pop.
Gotta admit, he's never done anything for me - none of the new breed of pop-trained-yet-operatic-style singers do.
quote:
As for females in any genre, my favorite would be Mary Black, even though she is just "an Irish country singer".
Oh, she's marvelous, no argument there.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  3:45:15 PM  Show Profile
Jack and I were talking about singers a few days back. We agreed that Ralph Stanley is great in his genre.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  11:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful singing voice in any genre, I like Nat King Cole for the smooth dulcet tones. Young Sinatra as well. For female singers, Aretha - hands down.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 02/22/2008 11:16:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  12:18:18 PM  Show Profile
Try listen. Pua Lilia -- about as beautiful as it gets. http://2luo.com/watch?v=vzaNstFQhys

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  9:13:33 PM  Show Profile
The one I can listen to for hours is Dennis Kamakahi---gentle, flowing, sonorous....purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  03:17:17 AM  Show Profile
Moe Keale. Martin Pahinui.

What is Robert Cazimero's musical training? Did he go to college for to study music/voice? Last time we were O`ahu, we met a young lady at the Island Paperie store who went to Kamehameha School and was in the song contest coached/advised by Robert Cazimero. We spoke with a friend at the hula workshop last week who went to Kamehameha School and she told us that participation in the song contest was not optional. It was mandatory. You gotta love a school that makes music education an important part of the learning.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  06:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Moe Keale. Martin Pahinui.

What is Robert Cazimero's musical training? Did he go to college for to study music/voice?
Nope. As is the case with many legends of Hawaiian music, most of the learning took place in the home. (Their parents were both professional musicians who played much, much more than traditional Hawaiian music.) Robert also took piano lessons. The surprise - if the brothers are to be believed - is that Kamehameha was not as "Hawaiian" back then as it is today.

Their story in their own words...

Brothers Cazimero Interview (Excerpt)

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  07:33:24 AM  Show Profile
Bill - that is a GREAT interview. Please tell us a little more about it. When was it done? Who is doing the interviewing? Where can we hear more? Thank you so much for sharing that. Way swell.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  07:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Bill - that is a GREAT interview. Please tell us a little more about it. When was it done? Who is doing the interviewing? Where can we hear more? Thank you so much for sharing that. Way swell.

The interview was conducted as part of KCCN's Hawaiian Heritage Series in the early 1980s. About two dozen interviews (of varying duration) were conducted with legends of Hawaiian music over a two year period. The host was KCCN radio personality Jacqueline "Honolulu Skylark" Rossetti.

Regrettably, there are no known copies of these interviews floating around. I have spoken to Skylark who has no idea into whose possession the masters have fallen. One complete set exists at the Library of Congress. However, there may be one other almost complete set out there - somewhere...

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  1:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
yes the Kamehameha Schools for boys back in the 60's was akin to a military prep school. it was in the later 70's with the hawaiian music renassaince (of which the sunday manoa had a large part in) that kamehameha looked back to its hawaiian roots. to think what good music came from graduates in those years (60's and on). you got the cazimeros, the beamers, jerry santos, dennis kamakahi, aaron mahi,etc.

and yes, it is required of all 9th thru 12th graders to sing acapella choral music in the annual song contest
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000