Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The Joys of Slack Key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  07:25:55 AM  Show Profile
I “discovered” Slack Key Guitar when I accidentally stumbled across a couple of videos of Led Kaapana on Youtube in December last year and was instantly captivated by this music to a degree that I decided there and then to learn it. After getting some advice on Taropatch, I ordered the Ozzie Kotani book and I’ve been working my way through it up to “Maunoloa” so far, with a side trip to “Salomila” courtesy of the great Fran Guidry.

Music has always been a huge part of my life, from the Skiffle and the Blues that my older brother listened to in the 50’s, my father’s collection of Scottish music records which instilled a love of traditional music which has never left me, through the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath etc, and as a performer of British traditional music since about 1969.

Hawaii, to me, was a place where they played pedal steel, ukulele and where Dog hunted his bounty, until I found Ledward. I don’t think any other genre of music has affected me in the way Slack Key has. Last Saturday my wife Theresa was visiting her sister, who lives nearby, when she came back home I was playing “Molehu” and this was the first time she had heard me play any Slack Key, she asked me what it was, I explained and she asked if I knew any more so I played “Salomila”, she sat in silence for a few seconds then said it was the most beautiful guitar music she had ever heard. I’m inclined to agree with her.

My Son and my younger Daughter, both excellent guitarists and complete Metalheads with their own band and who have defined traditional music as “gay”, like some Slack Key stuff, indeed my Son even learned “Kani Ki Ho’alu” which apparently he frequently plays to annoy his friends.

The more I hear of this wonderful music, I got the Slack Key Masters CD and found 365Live, Cyril Panihui, Sonny Chillingworth, Keola Beamer, Ray Kane etc the more I love it.

Being disabled, my car was rear ended in 1997 by a large truck, causing me to develop Spondylolisthesis and chronic back pain forcing me to give up performing which I still really miss, and stop working which I don’t miss so much, not wheelchair bound but I do need a walking stick to get around, I can only play guitar for about 20 – 30 minutes at a stretch before the pain level increases and I have to stop for a while. Because of this I had virtually stopped playing altogether. Now I’m back to playing every day because of Slack Key, incredible, isn’t it? Well I think it is.

As I intimated earlier, Hawaii didn’t figure much in my consciousness, but having watched a couple of Travelogues and seen the pictures of the music camps it looks like an incredibly beautiful place and I would love to go, though from Scotland it’s a looong way.
Still, Theresa’s planning to take early retirement in three years time so I think we may come visit for a few weeks.

Sorry if I'm going on a bit but I just wanted to put across my enthusiasm for this wonderful music!!!

bigeedjit

Edited by - pifarrell on 02/28/2008 06:53:02 AM

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  08:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Inspiring story.

Welcome to the `ohana. I think you will find a fair number of folks here who will agree with you that slack key is the proper way to play guitar.

Good luck to you.

Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  09:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
'Eh, howzit Braddah Peter and welcome to the 'patch...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  09:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Peter,

Sounds like you've caught the bug. Uncle Sol from Maui credited slack key with helping him rehabilitate his body from a stroke. He recovered to where he could play guitar again and share his aloha with many people.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  10:37:26 AM  Show Profile
Enjoy your trip to Hawaii! But before you get there, you definitely need to get a Led-Head T-shirt, I'm sure available through his website. He plays at the Kona Brewing Company most Sunday nights.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  10:44:42 AM  Show Profile
Peter - Welcome to Taro Patch. The music is so beautiful, it can't help but touch people. Even our daughter who was crazy about Kurt Cobain plays Iz music for her day care children. Our other daughter works for Disney on Ice and knows that Humuhumunukunukuapua`a as sung in High School Musical is not proper. Yes, it is a long way from Scotland to Hawai`i, but everyone should go to Hawai`i at least once in their lifetime. It is a trip well worth it.

Now - tell us the truth - what is under the kilt? I don't know where ye been me lad, but I see ye took first prize.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  10:49:12 AM  Show Profile
Nothing is worn under the kilt - it's all in perfect working order

bigeedjit
Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  10:59:35 AM  Show Profile
But seriously folks,
it's such beautiful music to play that I can play the same piece over and over again and not get bored with it, I just love it. As mark says, "slack key is the proper way to play guitar". It feels like home.

bigeedjit
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  11:42:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by pifarrell

But seriously folks,
it's such beautiful music to play that I can play the same piece over and over again and not get bored with it, I just love it. As mark says, "slack key is the proper way to play guitar". It feels like home.

Me too, cus I only know 5 - 6 pieces and I jus play em over and over -- but a little different (sometimes way different) each time.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  11:52:39 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum and I'm real happy you found your guitar home! It's not the first time I've heard similar sentiments. I hope you do make it to Hawaii some time. I lived in Hawaii most of my life and went to Germany a couple of times so I know what a long trip it is. Believe me when I say that it will be well worth the plane ride! Keep us informed of your progress and I know you will find a lot of support and encouragement here.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  12:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Bill -- it's not nice to fool the nice taropatch.net folks.

Bill knows many more songs -- so many, that they just end up in the middle of his "noodling around". I can tell, cause he looks around like, where did that come from?

Anyway -- Peter,
Welcome aboard. I consider myself part Scot as the original McVay was a sea captain from Skye that settled in Maine and married a Penobscot Indian princess back in the 1700s.

What is the best (proper) way to enjoy Whisky? Plain at room temp, over ice, or with some spring water? -- this is not a trick question -- just want your honest assessment, as an expert.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  9:46:13 PM  Show Profile
To be honest I prefer Jack Daniels to Whisky, but I do like malt whisky at room temperature with half as much water as whisky, the experts say this is the best way to enjoy it and who am I to argue? The ordinary stuff should be taken however you like it, though probably not intraveniously

bigeedjit
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  03:32:51 AM  Show Profile
Long time ago -- almost 28 years to be exact, I was pregnant and went into premature labor. In the hospital, they stopped my labor by giving me intravenous alcohol. Two liters. Talk about INSTANTANEOUS intoxication -- yikes.

That is why even now, one drink makes me feel it. My ears get hot, my face feels flushed. Oh, that's because of Paul, not the booze.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

gcolebeck
Aloha

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  02:01:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Peter

Great to hear another newly-converted slack key enthusiast here in the UK!

I too have the "proper way to play guitar" - mine (apart from a 12 string) haven't seen "normal" tuning since November last year when I first got Ozzie's book.

I'd heartily recommend Mark Nelson's old-time slack tab stuff (check out his website where you can buy a pdf) because it seemed to me to be the next step from Ozzie's excellent starting point.

Graham
Bournemouth
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  03:31:57 AM  Show Profile
Hello Peter and welcome to the 'Patch.

I have an idea for you. I was just in Edinburgh last summer watching my sister perform with the Middlesex County Drum and Fife Corp at the Edinburgh Tattoo. They were invited back in 2011. How about next time I bring my guitar and we can play some Slack Key together? You have 3 and 1/2 years to get really, really good. Plenty of time! Do we have a plan?

Claudia
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  04:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Claudia

Hello Peter and welcome to the 'Patch.

I have an idea for you. I was just in Edinburgh last summer watching my sister perform with the Middlesex County Drum and Fife Corp at the Edinburgh Tattoo. They were invited back in 2011. How about next time I bring my guitar and we can play some Slack Key together? You have 3 and 1/2 years to get really, really good. Plenty of time! Do we have a plan?

Claudia

(Take her up on this, man. She's awesome!)

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000