Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 guitar help for oldie
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  10:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

... before you go adjusting the truss rod, be aware that over tightening the rod can strip the threads from either the rod or the adjustment nut, or possibly break the rod. Any luthier can tell you of repairing such instruments. ...
Paul

OP said he's playing a Taylor 714. Taylor is very big on their players understanding the truss rod and making their own adjustments. The .pdf I pointed to is actually included hard-copy with every new Taylor sold and a truss rod wrench is also included. All Taylor dealers will do unlimited truss rod adjustments at no charge for people who are still leery about DIY, even after being educated.

Larrivee also used to inclde a truss rod wrench with every guitar sold even though the adjustment is more difficult -- I don't know if they still do this.

I also would not recommend people fooling around with difficult truss rods -- my reply was intended to be understood within the context of the OP.
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  6:21:00 PM  Show Profile
Up date,I`m trying out an Aria archtop pro-11 fa 50e, belongs to a friend, its quite small, weighs heavy, very compy to play, buttery smooth action !!! [is this why Chet Atkins played a Country Gentleman ?\] do all archtops play like this? the flat wound strings are great [11 to 50 jazz] they handle the lower tunings well, I`ve always used medium on the taylor , for an oldy, boy, those flat wound strings feel nice,has anybody tried flat wounds on their acoustic?? After Kens comment on the martin 0018v & playing this small A -top, smalls looking good for the long term, tone will be of course the big factor for our slack. Fran what was the trouble on the Rt hand, was it the closeness of the strings ?? Anybody out there using lite strings.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  05:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Not all archtops have buttery smooth action!! But it certainly is common that electric guitars are setup with lower action than acoustics, making them easier to play.

The flatwound strings I've played in the past had limited sustain and a thuddy tone, not what I would look for to play slack key. I generally think of flats as jazz strings, based on the players I've seen use them.

I play lights, custom lights, even extra lights if my hands are feeling weak.

The right hand issue on the Larrivee Parlor - well, the strings were a little too close together, but the main thing was the low tension of the strings, requiring a lighter touch to the plucking, especially the thumb. Interestingly, if I was on a lengthy trip and playing only the Larry Parlor, by the end of the trip I was coaxing a lot of bass out of those very slack strings without hitting them hard. Finesse wins out.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  10:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by chip

..l I`ve always used medium on the taylor , ...

The Taylor 714s are designed for lights and ship with Elixir Nanoweb lights. I use D'addario EXP lights or custom lights on mine.

You're probably OK with mediums if you never tune up to standard but be careful with mediums on a 714. It's built and braced for lights.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  6:57:14 PM  Show Profile
Thank you both, all points well taken, I`ll try lights next time, I re- string, I was always worried they would flop around too much, but it looks like thats not the case. I had e - mailed Mark Hansen at one time to see what he used, I have one of his books, & he uses lights. I may be in for a treat, Chip
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  7:10:27 PM  Show Profile
After playing the A - top for awhile, now I see what you mean Fran, I find it nice for long practices,& blues etc. it sure does not touch the taylor, just makes the T sound better. Chip
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  7:43:12 PM  Show Profile
What were the woods on your 18v, ken, I heard one guy had a mahogany, then ordered a rosewood, you, have any preferance, I`ve never played one or seen one,alive, our biggest music store, doesn`t carry them, because there not that much in demand, Chip
Go to Top of Page

KenS
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  05:52:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by chip

What were the woods on your 18v, ken, I heard one guy had a mahogany, then ordered a rosewood, you, have any preferance, I`ve never played one or seen one,alive, our biggest music store, doesn`t carry them, because there not that much in demand, Chip

Chip, the woods were sitka and mahogany with an ebony bridge and fretboard. A rosewood would most likely be a 28 of course.

I bought mine from an online dealer based on the fact that 1. I wanted a small-bodied, short scale guitar, 2. I was familiar with and liked other models in the Martin V series, and 3. the dealer had a no questions asked return policy. I didn't return it needless to say - it was a fine guitar. I sold it to pay for a Collings OM2H which is my primary guitar now. But I do miss the 00-18V at times - they are great guitars.

Ken

Edited by - KenS on 04/08/2008 04:31:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

kmedeiros
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  3:30:12 PM  Show Profile
Hey Chip, Since i started playing slack key when i was about 10, and since i was a smaller kid, i used the Little Martin LXK2. Its smaller, 20 frets, but has big bright tone. Also pretty cheap, $300 i think, and has a Koa like body. (Looks and sounds like koa, but i reason it cant be, at $300) Its a great guitar though. Only downside is there is no pickup
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  7:52:23 PM  Show Profile
Point well taken Km.I`ll check one out, no harm there. Thank you CHIP
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  7:59:44 PM  Show Profile
A little up date, I strung up with lite strings, but kept the 6th & 1st med. & really enjoy the capo on the first fret, by dropping down a half tone, with singing & playing in standed that workes really well,& tone is great also, it would be hard to move the nut but I may one day, I put in my own little markers, I sure need those. I may get hung for this. -- I strung up my classical with extra lite steel, & dropped the tuning down a full tone, I never liked the tone of that axe & tryed everything, the store would hardly take it as a trade, its a lovely looking axe so nothing to loose just try, Wow does that guitar sound nice now,& lovely to play, I sure wouldn`t go to standed tuning like that, I`ll keep a close watch on things. I built a cardboard guitar last summer & strung it up with steel , its held up , thats what prompted me to string up the classical, I`ve learn`t a new way to barre chords, which has helped my elbo, with the barre on, brace the body against the chest & pull the neck back with that finger, you don`t really need to use your thumb, first time I`ve heard that but it works. Till next time Chip
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  10:15:25 AM  Show Profile
You might try compound strings (silk & Steel)on the classical. They don't put as much tension on it as steel strings, but sound more like steel than nylons do. I'd still keep an eye out for structural problems though.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  7:51:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Paul I did try some thomastic, flat wound at one time which did just what you were saying, they were made for a classical they worked well, but these lite steel really pack a punch they were a really cheap set I had laying around, as I said I dropped it down a full tone & thats from open G Chip
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  08:28:22 AM  Show Profile
When I like to play jazzy Hawaiian songs from the swing era I tried to play the guitar. I have a lousy barre technique so I play the ʻuke instead. Now I get more wide assortment of sounds. All kidding aside if something hurts then something is not right. it could the body giving out or an incorrect technique. The technique can be fixed the body may need to be retrained with exercise or positioning while playing. Sometimes it is overuse. I used to play or practice 6 hours par session cause Iʻm such a lolo player. It takes a lot of effort for me to learn something. And my whole body would get sore. So revisit all the things you do to play and see if corrections can be made where needed.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000