Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Really dumb laws
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  04:32:16 AM  Show Profile
On the post about the "Recssion" somehow or another (go figure), I got off on a tanget about dumb laws/bad laws/unenforceable lows. Well here are some I have found that are pretty funny. Feel free to share any doofy ones that you know about. And be thankful you no live Saudia Arabia. And good thing I am from the West Virginia side of Twelvepole Creek, not the Kentucky side.

Speaking of worthless, dumb laws. . . .

If you live in Kentucky, you must take a bath at least once per year. It's the law.

In Massachusetts you can't legally use tomatoes in clam chowder.

In Kentucky it is illegal to carry ice cream in your back pocket.

In Harper Woods, Michigan, it is against the law to paint a sparrow and claim it's a parakeet.

Niener-niener-niener.
In New York City, it is illegal to greet anyone "by placing the end of his thumb against the tip of his nose, at the same time extending and wriggling the fingers of his hand."

Jesse - When it is Valentine's Day or Sweetest Day or Anniversary -- opt for diamonds. According to one source, in Idaho it is illegal to give your lover a box of candy smaller than fifty pounds in weight. Another source stated that it is illegal to give any other citizen a box of candy weighing more than 50 pounds. In any case, the giving of huge quantities of candy is regulated in Idaho.

In Texas when two trains meet at a crossing "neither shall proceed until the other has gone."

You are violating the law if you mispronounce the name of Arkansas.

You may not legally own a pair of pliers if you live in Texas.

In Memphis, Tennessee, a woman cannot legally drive unless there is a man running on foot ahead of her car with a red flag to warn motorists that a woman is driving.

Wow. Mickey Mantle could have been put in jail. For a looong time.In Oklahoma, it's illegal for a baseball player to hit the ball out of the park.

It is illegal in Arizona to hunt camels.

No hula for you Ka-lee-fohr-nee-ah folks. Don't wiggle while dancing. That's illegal in California.

For all you Paniolo -- Do not stick your finger in the nose of a cow, unless you are willing to violate one of the rules of the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association.

In Saudi Arabia it is against the law to play music.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  06:12:41 AM  Show Profile
Where in the world di you find all these weird laws???

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  08:24:27 AM  Show Profile
http://members.aol.com/oddwonder/laws.htm

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  5:10:15 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Wanda!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  11:43:26 PM  Show Profile
I am just chock-o-block full of worthless information. I am a "fact" collector. I even have books on useless facts. One book has a list of all the James Bond movies, who played Bond, who was the bad guy, who was the tootsie-babe wit' da boobs, who was the bad guy's assistant, i.e., Odd Job. One page in that book has pi. A whole page of numbers, going on and on and on and on and on..........

But maybe I could whoop somebody on Jeopardy.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  11:54:35 PM  Show Profile
These are funny, Wanda, but don't go believing they're all true.

The one about hunting camels in Arizona is not true, for instance, (see http://www.snopes.com/legal/arizona.asp ) and as for it being illegal to play music in Saudi Arabia, well it just isn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Saudi_Arabia

After checking these two I gave up, but it's certainly made me a bit more sceptical about believing the others!
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  01:57:02 AM  Show Profile
What I consider really stupid are the many states that have "blue laws" regulating how you can make love to your wife. Legislators seem to think they have the authority to control every detail of your life.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  02:35:39 AM  Show Profile
Well, jus' press.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  03:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
WOW and comming from PA I grew up thinking a Blue Law was one that said we could not drink or sell alchol on Sunday. Go Figure never knew there were Lawas about how were were supposed to be makin nookie. hmmm' maybe new kine stuff too ?????? We PA Dutch a little slow sometimes but my Grandfater did Know where to get Alchol On Sunday. Out back of the barn in the Spring House under where we kept the Milk chillin. Grandma only Pretended she didn't know it was down there.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000