Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Keiki Mahine
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  01:37:00 AM  Show Profile
May I call your attention to this beautiful song. It is short, the story is so very touching, the melody is pure and beautiful. We have two versions - one by Gary Haleamau and one by Dennis Pavao. From a couple of years ago, Sara helped with the lyrics and Auntie Maria gave us some history that it is a family song of Aunty Diana Aki. I have also heard it done by Barry Kimokeo. A year or so ago, there was talk of him releasing an album and he said that would be one of the songs on it. I do not know the status of his recording, but it sure would be nice, yeah?

You can listen to it at:
Dennis Pavao - http://www.mele.com/music/artist/dennis+pavao/keiki+kupuna/
George Kahumoku & Diana Aki - http://www.mele.com/music/artist/george+kahumoku%2C+jr./hawaiian+love+songs/

If anyone goes to the Kahumoku workshops or any of the sessions Keoki has going on the Big Island, and you have a chance to meet Diana Aki, tell her how much this song touches people. It is so very beautiful. It should be recorded more. Maybe she has taught it to some of you guys????

Here are the lyrics as Sara provided them so kindly in 2006:

Keiki mahine no ke kuahiwi [Girl (child) from the mountains]
A he mae wale ho'i 'oe [You are simply pining away]

Keiki kane no ke kai [Boy (child) from the sea]
Ho'iho'i 'oe i ke aloha [You return the love]

Ha'ina ka puana [The refrain is told]
Ua lele kahuli i ka moana [(They) jumped headlong into the ocean]

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  11:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Nani kela!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000