Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Steel Guitar
 Tone bar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  10:26:00 PM  Show Profile
WELL...

Let me tell you about something neat. We just came home from the second annual "Lapstravaganza" at the Kuumbwa Jazz Center in Santa Cruz. Featured were: Bobbie Black (Commander Cody, Asleep at the Wheel, Lost Weekend), Patti Maxine (the Queen of Steel), Micahel Johnstone, David Phillips and Bill Walker, backed up by Larry Hosford and Band. There was never a dull moment the whole night long.

At one point Patti, Bobbie and David were all playing their steels at the same time, with phenomenal results. They played together seamlessly, one against the other and then all in harmony. It was so spectacular and so much fun to watch, noone wanted to go home after the show ended. I was able to observe, from a front row seat, the different techniques, the slightly different way of holding the bar, the camaraderie of consumate musicians in tune with one another.

Sheesh, I better get it together here. Reid, wanna come and practice here in cold California?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  05:18:11 AM  Show Profile
Julie, it would be fun to all be together again. But, I am afraid it isn't gonna happen any time soon.

Your concert sounds like it was wonderful. I wish we had things like that in our area. I don't know why a place like CT, with all its wealth and colleges and universities, doesn't have more interesting music more often. Lots of classical stuff, but that is it. Perhaps it is because we are 2 hrs. from NYC (plus hrs. trying to get anywhere inside the City) and 2 1/2 hrs. from Boston.

Anyway, I hope you took away a lot of knowledge. And, BTW, Asleep At The Wheel has long been one our favorites on CD. They are funny, too.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 04/20/2008 05:19:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  09:18:01 AM  Show Profile
Solo steel is like solo mandolin. It can be done, but it just sounds better with another instrument. Heck, the guitar sounds better accompanied- esp ukulele and steel. Slipry1 likes to have both, so the steel can "float" on top.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  1:49:11 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Kory, that is kinda what I am searching for. Jack's "floating on top" is similar to what a coloratura soprano does in a multipart aria.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

brooklyn
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  5:55:50 PM  Show Profile
today at the little guitar store next to the "should have been in the sopranos" members only social club, i asked for a dunlop tone bar and the lady behind the counter presented a "925" that could have been used as a softball bat it was so heavy...and a smaller dunlop bullet bar with the little thing that closed the bottom missing.

i bought the little dunlop bullet bar because I thought i might kill my cat if I dropped the bigger bar on her. i also got new strings for a used lap steel that has been vexing my attempts to get in tune. i realized the original owner had her tuned in some kind of chicago blues tuning and the strings just did not want to go up, just snapped.

a nice fellow at hsga told me which kinds of strings to get and that was very helpful. mixed and matched a couple of packets and got spares. i can't wait to start real in person lessons so I can learn how to hold the bar properly and how not to sound like a bag of drowning kittens.

Go to Top of Page

Ron Whitfield
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  4:23:50 PM  Show Profile
You can get started right now, right here - www.hwnsge.5u.com
Hit the tutorials on page 4

www.hwnsge.5u.com - www.jerrybyrd-fanclub.com
Go to Top of Page

justplainbill
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  6:14:38 PM  Show Profile
I get my strings from juststrings.com They have sets for various tunings etc. I use the semi-flat C6th 8 string sets mostly, and they are under 6 bucks a set.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  08:00:35 AM  Show Profile
http://www.rothoriginals.com/
Another Big Daddy fan! I went to Reno just to see Harrah
s car collection. He had 2 of Ed's bikes, and Rat Fink & Rat Fink 2. Waaaayy Cool!
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000