Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Kine Bass
 Roland Micro Cube Bass Amp
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  05:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Kimo Hussey and others have been working on a bass `ukulele concept for a few years, based on the Ashbory bass. In fact there's a page on the largesound.com site: http://www.largesound.com/ashboryarticle/concept/ukulele/

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  10:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
RE: The Ashbory Bass site. Yep that's the one. Everything you ever wanted to know, and more. Great price, too.

quote:
There's no truss rod so what you get is what you get.

True, but there is no string tension either. Many instruments do just fine without truss rods. Fiddles & `ukulele leap to mind. I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW: I have heard that the tuners are much improved on the later models (ie those marketed by Fender under the DeArmand name). But the lack of a cover plate on the bridge is a shame-that's where I rest my thumb.

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  08:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Nice vid, thanks.
quote:
which includes the apparent premature -- and sometimes painful -- snapping of the G string.

I have had mine for almost 20 years and that has never happened. However, twice I have opened the case to discover one or another of the strings failed. So, yes, they might break.

Tho, to be sure, a snapped G-string is always embarrassing.

The main reason I like the Ashbory is for its size and weight. Anyone who has played a five set night with a Fender bass will understand why the Ashbory was invented. After a long night of playing, ditch the big axe & strap it on for a ballad. It's almost like getting a shoulder massage.

m
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  1:25:14 PM  Show Profile
Braddah Ed: You got keiki????

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  2:56:24 PM  Show Profile
E guava. Now you gotta come west side and jam wit us you can stay at greggs hale. Tell em I sent you.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  3:44:43 PM  Show Profile
Mebbe we gotta picket da place until he relent.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  7:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Cannot. The feds watch us alla time, cause I one "subversive," wid files an li'dat. Would mess up your WRP status.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  06:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

I no like say you lying brah, but your post just fried my USB Pinocchio Detector.
That's exactly what they would want you to say, Good Soldier Ed.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  07:43:33 AM  Show Profile
Ewot dat, WRP? Can buy um at Whole Foods or wat. E we kotta ket Ed o hea how we going do dat if you you no chip in?

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  09:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Getting a little off-topic here, aren't we?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  2:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
So anyway, there I was minding my own business just browsing and looking around this morning when I accidentally stumbled across an auction for a "slightly used" blue Ashbory bass <<SNIP>>

Long story short, I should be taking delivery in a few days. What did I do? What do I tell the wife?

Tell her you just bought her a nice present.

My wife has heard me bemoan some instrument I'd sold so often (as in, "Man I never shoulda sold that Tele... ES 150, L-48..." etc etc) that she makes me give her certain instruments so I won't be tempted to sell them. So she is actually the owner of my Ashbory.

Oh, and buy a whole set of strings from Large Sound for insurance. You'll never break a string if there is a replacement in the case. Every musician knows that!

Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  12:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Ok, I have changed my opinion on the Micro Cube Bass Amp.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Bass-RX-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=483095
Last week I sold another bass and took the new owner down to Soundwave to help him pick out an amp. We plugged it into the Roland Micro Cube Bass Amp, and were quite impressed with the sound. The fact that it has good bass filters (no need for an outboard EQ box!) and a tuner built in were a big plus, and when the new Walkingbass owner found out he could run it off batteries, he whipped out the old charge card.

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass

Edited by - Konabob on 08/24/2008 12:29:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  11:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Guess I failed to mention that, after getting to test out Mark's at Folklife, I bought one. To put it simply - I really like it, and I feel it has even improved my playing (because it makes the instrument sound more like I want it to sound).

Though the bloom may have faded this past weekend - I brought it to Kalama, but didn't need it onstage...thanks to the huge GK they had set up for all the bassists to play through. I forgot how easy it is to be spoiled by one of those amps. Couldn't get me off the stage for hours...
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  06:27:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

Guess I failed to mention that, after getting to test out Mark's at Folklife, I bought one. To put it simply - I really like it, and I feel it has even improved my playing (because it makes the instrument sound more like I want it to sound).

Though the bloom may have faded this past weekend - I brought it to Kalama, but didn't need it onstage...thanks to the huge GK they had set up for all the bassists to play through. I forgot how easy it is to be spoiled by one of those amps. Couldn't get me off the stage for hours...

As if you had a choice! Man, 5 hours on Saturday wiped me out!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  8:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
I really like my Micro Cube Portable Bass Amp. I've been using it a lot w/my Kona Walkingstickbass and like the ease of plugging and playing anywhere! The sound is pretty good considering the size. It doesn't have the extra boom that my Roland has, but I'm real happy with it, nonetheless. It's not too heavy (a little over 5 lbs.), but I have mine in a rollie cart that fits my uke, music bag, and all my cords and accessories. I gig with it about half the time now, but am starting to use it more because it's so convenient (and sounds good, too). Hope this helps.- Maggie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000