Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Experience with Taylor Guitars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  6:49:04 PM  Show Profile
I made the mistake of window shoping today and ran across a 314 CE limited with maple back and sides with spruce top. It sounds great and doesn't look too bad either, but at the $1150 price tag???

Does anyone out there have any opinions on Taylor Guitars, good, bad whatever? All the big guitar names seem to have a cult-like following of people who will swear by them and willing to pay the extra $$$$ for the name and of course it is worth it for them. Are Taylors worth the price tag?

Aloha,

Chris

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  7:10:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm not the biggest Taylor fan myself, but they're popular of course. A good resource is Harmony Central, and if you look at: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Taylor-Guitars/314-CE-01.html the guitar got very favorable comments.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  7:23:52 PM  Show Profile
If the "E" is important to you, Taylor just introduced a new pickup system that is supposed to be very good, a significant improvement. Are you looking at the old "E" or the new "E"? I think it's explained on the Taylor website or in the newletter that is on the T. website.

Edit/update:
Still based on posts in the AG forums - While very nice, the new Taylor system has hum/buzz problems picked up from dimmer light switches, florescent lights, computers, the usual suspects. Maybe not enough time in beta? Taylor of course is very busy trying to correct the problem.

There is also an "unoffial Taylor Guitar forum", sorry, I don't have the URL, and they are discussing this as well.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 03/14/2003 3:29:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  7:29:46 PM  Show Profile
I have a Taylor 714CE LTD with cocobolo back and sides and a cedar top. It's an absolute cannon an yet has the "airy" Taylor sound. The action is extremely low and is very easy to play. However it cost twice what your 314 ce is going for.

Is it worth it? Well, now that the paying for it is behind me, I say yes - but if I had bought my Rainsong (OM 1000) first, I might not have got the Taylor. The Rainsong is almost as easy to play and sounds as good but louder.

Lucky I got the Taylor first huh?

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  8:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Yeah, I love music stores. Spend a lot of money there though. I was at one just last night. Walk in just to look around and walk out with 4 harmonicas. Actually, $1150 in not so bad for a quality guitar considering some guitars sell for many thousands of dollars more. I would not put to much emphasis on the "Brand" when buying any musical instrument. Play it, play many, then choose. Happy guitar hunting.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  9:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Personally don't know much about Taylors although whenever I go to a Guitar Center, I'll admire any koa models they might have in stock. On another note, I hear Taylor clinician Doyle Dykes will be at this year's slack key guitar festivals. Last year was the first year that Taylor donated a guitar to raffle off at the slack key festival and it must have gone well enough to do again.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackin07
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  10:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Send slackin07 an AOL message
I've actually had good experience with Taylors. I own a 314CE and a K22CE. Very happy with both. Great tone and easy playability even for the 314 model which I have tuned to C6th Mauna Loa. Easy to adjust string action (nut on headstock). My experience with their customer service has been excellent.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  12:00:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Coincidentally, there is another discussion about Taylors at the 13th Fret. May be of interest if you're looking for additional input.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  12:17:02 PM  Show Profile
There is also the Taylor guitar forum at
http://www.taylorforum.com/

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  2:10:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the feedback. Can anyone offer any more feedback on the rainsongs? The concept is appealing to me since I live in Colorado and it is impossible to humidify something even with a room humidifier and the temp. changes are quite drastic. I see that they have a new series that would fall in my pricerange.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  2:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Last year I had two chances to sample several all "plastic" Rainsongs at home, long story, so it was more relaxed than in a guitar shop. I liked them all, especially the smallest body steel-string model (forget the model number). They had an easy to play set up and sounded good. So good that I was sorely tempted to buy a little guy that I could have had at a real bargain. I came to my senses since I'm primarily a nylon string player, but it was a near thing! There is a good chance you would enjoy them.

I was disappointed in their nylon model, it was too quiet when played unplugged, but I've heard that complaint from classical guitar players about all the hybrid nylon models built by traditional steel string makers.

I've read Rainsong has some laminate b/s with composite top models now. I've had no experience with them.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  3:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I thought the Rainsongs were all graphite? Is that what you mean by "plastic"?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  3:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
When you read of a race car body or guitar or airplane being made of graphite, that's actually shorthand for "composite of epoxy or other plastic-like material with long strands of graphite fiber embedded in the matrix for strength", just as a "fiberglass" surfboard is mostly a foam core with a plastic coating over it - the reinforcing material is probably the least present component by weight or volume. We should really call these materials composites.

So, yes, a Rainsong is plastic.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  3:43:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

I thought the Rainsongs were all graphite? Is that what you mean by "plastic"?

Hi Craig, the emphasis was on all plastic as opposed to what I understand of their new line which is a mix of wood panels and carbon fiber+epoxy/whatever panels (=plastic) as Fran explained. Sorry for any confusion.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  6:34:18 PM  Show Profile
I have a Taylor K420 Koa that I love. It has great action and a wonderful sound. But, I also have a RainSong WS1000 which I end up playing most of the time. I think the lower end Taylors are good bargins. Look for them used; some of their dealers will offer 100% trade-up (Buffalo Bros in Carlsbad, Ca., for example, where I bought mine). Everything else equal, I agree with Dusty - if I had a RainSong first, I might not have the Taylor. I basically held off getting a good guitar until I could afford one. Suggestion, get an inexpensive Yamaha or Ovation (used) until you can get the one you want. I'm glad I waited.
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  7:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
I have a Rainsong WS1000 and also Taylors 812CE,K14C,K22 and a Baby Taylor and I love all of them. The Rainsong is by far the best for changable weather conditions since it has no wood. The Rainsong of course is an excellent travel guitar since the composite material is much stronger than wood. I would not trade any of my Taylors however; they are all fine playing guitars from the cheapest to the most expensive. Taylor has acheived a level of consistency that is hard for any company to match. The setup and playability is nearly identical on all of my full size taylors. The Rainsong guitars also offer fine playability and the volume is unmatched. They really shine when plugged in. Sulle'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000