Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The "Sound"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uncle Tim
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  10:03:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Uncle Tim an AOL message
OK. Here Goes.
I've had many a guitar over the years, but I have never really been happy with the sound. Maybe it's the cheap strings I use. Assuming I'm not totally tone deaf, is there really a brand of string that lends itself well to slack key? I particularly favor the sound of Ledward's guitars with the strong resonant bass and the biting crisp highs (Led, if your are listening in, please kokua).
Thanks,
Uncle Tim

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  07:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Led uses a thumbpick and fingerpicks. Have you tried these?

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Tim
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  09:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Uncle Tim an AOL message
I have tried thumb pick before, yes. You are right about it increasing the volume and attack on the bass strings. Good idea. I'll "fiddle" around with that idea. As far as the finger picks go, I wasn't aware that he uses them. I have seen his sister Lehua use them though. Hmmm, food for thought. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  1:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
One piece of standard advice is to use the heaviest gauge strings the guitar and your fingers can manage without damage or discomfort. On a guitar that I'm only going to play in open tuning, I'll go up a gauge on both Es and the A--and if I'm workshopping with George Kahumoku (who has us tune down to open F), the whole set goes up to mediums or better, just to avoid that floppy too-loose sound.

And the fingerpicks do make a big difference in attack and brightness, but they're not for everyone (me, for instance), and that's a whole other can of worms.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  2:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Look into using an Alaska Pik on your thumb also...it acts and feels like a fingernail so it's easy to adapt to than a thumb pick.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 04/03/2003 7:37:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

konavet
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  2:55:49 PM  Show Profile
There's a web site somewhere (a friend showed it to me, but I didn't get the address) that allows you to put in the scale length and tuning, then gives you optimal string gauges for even tension. Maybe someone knows the site.

As to picks, no one has mentioned my favorites- Propick fingertones. I've used these for years and really like them. The're the ones with the cut out blade and split wrap. They remind me of the Rudi Gurnrich(sp.?) jeans from the 60's with the cut out buns. The thing I do with them is to really bend them up with a pair of needlenose pliers so the blade is sort of an elongated "S" shape. This allows the ball of your finger to protrude from the cut out and the top of the "S" bends down to approximate the nail. Works for me.

Dr. Pat
Go to Top of Page

ManaKapu
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  5:44:55 PM  Show Profile
I just received my John Pearce Slack Key strings in the mail today. I really like them. They have a nice deep low end and bright, easy action high end! I only payed $6.30 per set. It's all personal preference but I'm really happy with them!

Aloha
Danno
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  12:57:31 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,

I hope it's not a hijack if I ask nylon players which strings they use? What brand, tension, nylon, carbons, or Nylgut? I just put on a set of Nylguts, medium tension I think, but the pkg wasn't marked and I forget what I ordered back then. So far, so good, better than the ancient D'Ad plain nylons they replaced.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  01:23:06 AM  Show Profile
I play on nylon string -- have tried lots of different brands. On my good guitar I use Hense, high tension, carbon trebles, for Taro Patch. Hense are a German string and so far they sound the best on my guitars - for me a noticeable difference. They also "feel" good to the fingers. I get mine through stringsbymail.com. Nice folks. Good service. If I have to slack more than one full step, I use Hammebach extra high tension. They don't sound quite as good, but work ok with my lower action guitars. For cheapies - I tried a set of LaBella high tension on a Yamaha student quality guitar with medium high tension, and they were tolerable. Still, the Hense sound best for me. I think part of the equation is which strings for your specific guitar.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000