Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Experience with Taylor Guitars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  12:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Everyone,

Thank you for the input, I love hearing all of your opinions even the ones on the global guitar economics. I looked at a bunch of guitars and kept coming back to the Taylor. If anything trying other manufacturers and models has made me much more confident in my decision. The X14 body style was a perfect fit for for my body and slack key playing and sounds awesome. So after going back to play it 5 times I put it on layaway. I have to get rid of an archtop before I bring it home.

It is a myth that Taylor fixes prices, they simply do not allow shops to market the guitars or pricing on the web, list or discounted. I received a healthy discount on my choice. If a dealer is unwilling to discount it is probably because they feel that they can get the price they are asking, and more power to them. If the basis of a fair price is the amount of discount, the guitars MSRP is too high to begin with and encourages buying for price and not sound. I think Taylor's policy protects the smaller dealers and helps them survive from unfair competition from larger dealers/catalog shops and if anything, encourages a player to go to a shop and play the guitars they are considering and choosing the best one, Taylor or otherwise. This is a good policy that maybe other dealers should adapt since it is in the best interest of their customer, enforcing the mantra, which most of you have offered, to buy the guitar that sounds best, not priced right on the internet. To me it shows that Taylor is willing to present their guitars to the buyer side by side with their competition and that the customer will make the best choice for them ensuring satisfaction. If that means loosing out a sale because a Martin sounded better or was less $$$ so be it. The customer is happy, there is less chance for buyer remorse or getting dud from a catalog and it encourages buying at the local shop, not over the internet. For that I respect them. So much for my Taylor plug. Now for the guitar shop plug.

If you ever find yourself in the Boulder Denver area and like to check out guitar shops, go check out Wildwood Guitars. They are a local shop and have an amazing selection of guitars, accoustic and electric and are very competative and friendly. They have a great website to do some window shopping or just drooling since they take amazing pictures of some guitars they have in stock. If you are a fan of Koa or Goodall or both check this one out: http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/acoustics/goodall/goodall_kgcc_3000/goodall_kgcc_3000.html

Thanks again everyone.

Chris

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  1:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Yow, interesting stuff everyone.

Yep, Dusty, tha's me grinning like a dadblamed fool. You woulda too, had been been standing in that water. Sorry about the legs, though...

And yes, there is (or more properly, was) a slack key style in those islands. I gotta get back before much longer to see if I can find anyone who remembers it. The only guy I found two years ago barely could. All I got was a tuning (like taro patch), an impression of a style very much like Aunty Alice style, and a name: Patapata Maniata. (Meaning "morning lick or riff...")

Chris -- archtop? What have you got? I may know of a buyer for you. (You can e-mail me directly if you want.)

Happy playing, every one!

M
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  1:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mark,

Sent you an email direct. Let me know if you got it.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

enr1co
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  6:50:33 PM  Show Profile
$1150 is a reasonable price for a 314CE LTD. The 300 series with the limited edition maple back is a value as it is comparable
to their 600 series guitars except without the deluxe
appointments and gloss back.

The 300 series ( even if not maple but the std sapele) is IMHO
one of the best values of solid wood guitar for quality and tone at that price point.

Finally, Taylors have pretty good resale value if you decide to
sell it off when you upgrade

Good luck with your decision!
Go to Top of Page

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  4:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
I enjoy reading the topics on this forum.

Just wondering if you Taylor owners find any difference between the NT necks vs the Old necks.

I own a 25th 810BCE with the Old style neck and a K10 with the NT neck and they both feel and play the same.

Also, do any of you use Elixir strings for Slack Key style playing? One thing I do notice is that my KOA K10 with KOA top sounds much better using coated strings vs. non-coated. Is it the KOA top that gives such a bright sound with non-coated strings?

Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  4:38:58 PM  Show Profile
To Milikona,

I use Elixirs on my Taylor Koa. I like them, but I have a dreadnaught and I need the medium guage strings. I used to use John Pearse mediums, but the Elixirs play more smoothly for me. I currently have Elixir lights on a RainSong, but I restrung the bottom two treble strings with mediums to get more power.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  5:36:12 PM  Show Profile
milikona says:
quote:
Just wondering if you Taylor owners find any difference between the NT necks vs the Old necks.

The main advantages of the NT neck is that it is extremely easy to reset should the need arise and it is also a LOT stonger. Taylor distributes a free VHS video on the NT neck. Check out their website
http://www.taylorguitars.com/ and choose the "video" link.

Like Terry (chunky monkey), I also use Elixer polyweb (lights) on my Rainsong and my Taylor - both were supplied with them; mediums on my HD28.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  10:31:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Again,
Thanks for the input. I went ahead an ordered the NT neck video from Taylor.

I for to mention that I'm using Elixir PolyWeb on the KOA and Elixir NanoWeb on the 810BCE. Medium Guage on both.

Milt
Go to Top of Page

enr1co
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  8:25:39 PM  Show Profile
Chris,

Congrats on your 314 LTD decision/purchase! Wildwood Guitars is a great shop that I also love web shop and spend $$$. Give my regards to Tim, Bruce and Steve when you pick up your guitar! I purchased my koa top Goodall Grand Concert (along with a few Taylors and Gibsons) from them and couldnt be happier with their service.

enrico

quote:
Originally posted by cdyas

Aloha Everyone,

Thank you for the input, I love hearing all of your opinions even the ones on the global guitar economics. I looked at a bunch of guitars and kept coming back to the Taylor. If anything trying other manufacturers and models has made me much more confident in my decision. The X14 body style was a perfect fit for for my body and slack key playing and sounds awesome. So after going back to play it 5 times I put it on layaway. I have to get rid of an archtop before I bring it home.

It is a myth that Taylor fixes prices, they simply do not allow shops to market the guitars or pricing on the web, list or discounted. I received a healthy discount on my choice. If a dealer is unwilling to discount it is probably because they feel that they can get the price they are asking, and more power to them. If the basis of a fair price is the amount of discount, the guitars MSRP is too high to begin with and encourages buying for price and not sound. I think Taylor's policy protects the smaller dealers and helps them survive from unfair competition from larger dealers/catalog shops and if anything, encourages a player to go to a shop and play the guitars they are considering and choosing the best one, Taylor or otherwise. This is a good policy that maybe other dealers should adapt since it is in the best interest of their customer, enforcing the mantra, which most of you have offered, to buy the guitar that sounds best, not priced right on the internet. To me it shows that Taylor is willing to present their guitars to the buyer side by side with their competition and that the customer will make the best choice for them ensuring satisfaction. If that means loosing out a sale because a Martin sounded better or was less $$$ so be it. The customer is happy, there is less chance for buyer remorse or getting dud from a catalog and it encourages buying at the local shop, not over the internet. For that I respect them. So much for my Taylor plug. Now for the guitar shop plug.

If you ever find yourself in the Boulder Denver area and like to check out guitar shops, go check out Wildwood Guitars. They are a local shop and have an amazing selection of guitars, accoustic and electric and are very competative and friendly. They have a great website to do some window shopping or just drooling since they take amazing pictures of some guitars they have in stock. If you are a fan of Koa or Goodall or both check this one out: http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/acoustics/goodall/goodall_kgcc_3000/goodall_kgcc_3000.html

Thanks again everyone.

Chris

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  9:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Howdy, all -

I went to a workshop last night with Taylor clinician (and old bandmate, but that's a story for another time...) Chris Proctor.

Aside from the usual jaw-dropping vistuosity, Chris demo'ed the new Taylor pick-up system. When he plugged that little puppy in and strummed a chord, Brethern and Sistren, I am here to tell you I felt like applauding.

I've probably heard just about every single combination of under-saddle pick-ips, sound hole pick ups, internal microphones, and sound box transducers possible, along with most of the various pre-amps, D/I's and EQs designed for acoustic guitar. This was different.

Simply put, it sounded like a mic'ed guitar. A pretty dang well-mic'ed guitar at that. And that was running flat!

No, I do not have a financial stake in Taylor -- though after hearing the new pick-up, I wish I did. But I wanted to share this info with ya all.

I'd suggest checking it out.

Mark, saving up for when the retro-fit will be available.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  12:35:41 AM  Show Profile
Yeah Mark,

This is what Andy must have been telling us about when we went on the Taylor tour a while back!?!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000