Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 High G Vs. Low G
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  12:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Questions:
1. Which do you play?
2. Which do you like better?
3. Can soprano 'ukulele like the one I have be tuned to low G?

My answers to the first two:
1. high
2. low

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  1:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
1. both
2. low
3. yes, but you'll need a different gauge string to do so

Low G gives you five more notes lower than your C string, which are handy for fingerpicking melodies.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  1:29:55 PM  Show Profile
It depends.

Many traditionalists prefer the reentrant tuning of the high G as it allows for an easier fingering of the melody notes and keeps the chord note in a close register.

Many ukulele players prefer the low G becasue of its similarity to guitar tuning and the addition of notes in the lower register with chords spanning a greater register.

1. I play low G
2. I like low G better
3. Yes, just order and install the correct string. There may be a very minor difference in the neck tension and action.

(If you make the switch might as well as replace all the strings at the same time. I prefer the Worth extra high tension strings.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  3:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

1. both
2. low
3. yes, but you'll need a different gauge string to do so

Low G gives you five more notes lower than your C string, which are handy for fingerpicking melodies.

What's a gauge string?

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  3:29:55 PM  Show Profile
I play both. Depends on the uke. Still trying to find an unwound low G. I saw and played a uke with low G employing a harp string. So was sort of like nylon on all 4 strings. It was a nice mellow low sound without rubber band boinging. Any body know what gauge string that might be. Oh it was on a tenor uke by the way. I like high G on concert and sopranos. I noticed Ohta San uses low G on his concert uke. Probably because he plays a lot more jazz now a days. The low G to me facilitates jazz samba very well.

Gauge refers to how fat da string stay.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 07/01/2008 3:30:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  3:59:47 PM  Show Profile
I play low G, just because it's more similar to guitar for melody purposes. Plus, it will give me an excuse to purchase a high G some day! Will my wife fall for that one, though?
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  4:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by FROPPE

I play low G, just because it's more similar to guitar for melody purposes. Plus, it will give me an excuse to purchase a high G some day! Will my wife fall for that one, though?

Hopefully Yes.

I keep trying with mine but so far to no avail.
(You want another what????????? Voice rising along with decible count . . . . )

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  4:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

What's a gauge string?
"Gauge" is how strings are measured. It's a number that represents the "width" of the string. Strings for lower notes tend to be "thicker" than ones for higher notes, thus a low-G will be different from one designed for a high-G.

If you go to a guitar shop to buy new strings, so you can get a low-G for your `ukulele, they should be able to assist you. If you order a set of four strings online, the sets usually specify if they have a low or a high G in the set.
Go to Top of Page

keonikapila
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  6:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit keonikapila's Homepage  Click to see keonikapila's MSN Messenger address  Send keonikapila a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

...Still trying to find an unwound low G...

Worth has unwound low-G's in a few different "hardnesses" (tensions)...if you haven't already tried them

I love worths, but I don't like their low-g's...most of the feel too floppy for me and the "extra-hard" had intonation problems (on my uke anyway, YMMV)
Go to Top of Page

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  7:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message
Alika:
I have a Kamaka soprano that I had a shop
install a low g string.
They had to open up the bridge and slightly file the nut.
They said that I could still put the high g string back in
if I wanted.
My wife did not buy the story that I needed one low g and one
high g uke.
Les
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  9:55:31 PM  Show Profile
No get mad ennybody. But i tried worth strings and I no like um. You shoulda heard that harp string though. Was sweet and ono the kani of the uke.

Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  04:09:47 AM  Show Profile
I like the low G because: 1)the sound of chords and 2) the ability, in F, to do some classic tags. I also like the sound of my Kamaka tenor (deeper and fuller IMHO).

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  06:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I've got Worth on one uke, and am soon putting a set of Aquila on another (replacing Hilos). Momi has used Worths in the past, but I think she's going with the Aquilas these days.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  06:47:42 AM  Show Profile
I have the Worth Clear Tenor extra hard tension strings on my KoAloha Tenor and my KoAloha D-VI. The low-G is not wound and does not have any intonation issues. The extra hards tensions give me the action I desire and allow my ukulele to resemble my Taylor Nylon String guitar with D'Addario extra hard tension classical strings. I find it much easier to move from one instrument to the other without playability issues. I really like the tone on all three instruments. Although I had one issue two weeks ago when playing at a wedding when the sun (in dry 105 degree heat) hit the strings after I tuned them -- when I went to play, they had all gone out of tune. Good thing they wedding party was departing, everyone was clapping, and nobody noticed I abruptly stopped playing. :-)

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  2:39:03 PM  Show Profile
This is said in fun. If your uke sound like one guitar why not just play da guitar. Get two more strings for play with. Wot color are the high tensions? I had the brown ones and they were too high pitchy or something for my liking.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  4:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

If your uke sound like one guitar why not just play da guitar. Get two more strings for play with.
Multiple choice answers (also in fun):
a) Cause onny get fowah fingahs on hand, not six
b) Uke is easier to hide when the cops show up
c) Everybody & his brother already play guitars
d) Wot? Boddah you?

Edited by - Retro on 07/02/2008 4:03:53 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: