Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha to my new Ohana
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kamalani764
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  1:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit kamalani764's Homepage  Send kamalani764 an AOL message  Click to see kamalani764's MSN Messenger address
i don't know of any for my state but I heard of some national service that reds things like that. you're supposed to be able to call in and get anything you want in terms of newspapers and things read to you. but you have to subscribe, and I haven't done that yet.

Kamalani
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  1:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by kamalani764

i don't know of any for my state but I heard of some national service that reds things like that. you're supposed to be able to call in and get anything you want in terms of newspapers and things read to you. but you have to subscribe, and I haven't done that yet.

Eh Kama... is that only for residents of Massachusetts, or could I subscribe too? What's the website or phone number of whatevahs?

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  3:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
That's exactly what I was wondering about. It looks like most of these services are run statewide or regionally. Our system used to be part of the Seattle Public Library until this past July, when the Washington State Library took it over. The service is carried on FM radio subcarriers on three public radio stations in Washington (you have to have special receivers to get the signal), and also streamed live over the internet.

For our service, you do have to "subscribe" in the sense that you are registered with the State as legally blind or in some other way "print-impaired" (unable to read printed materials). That is because we are reading material that is protected by copyright, so it can't be made available to everybody.

Our radio reading service is part of a library that also offers "talking books" (presently on cassette, moving to a digital flash-drive in 2009), as well as large-print and braille texts. The only other ones that do as many services are in Hawai`i and Utah. We are a 24-hour service, with 90 percent of our programming created by volunteers in-house.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  02:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

That's exactly what I was wondering about. It looks like most of these services are run statewide or regionally. Our system used to be part of the Seattle Public Library until this past July, when the Washington State Library took it over. The service is carried on FM radio subcarriers on three public radio stations in Washington (you have to have special receivers to get the signal), and also streamed live over the internet.

For our service, you do have to "subscribe" in the sense that you are registered with the State as legally blind or in some other way "print-impaired" (unable to read printed materials). That is because we are reading material that is protected by copyright, so it can't be made available to everybody.

Our radio reading service is part of a library that also offers "talking books" (presently on cassette, moving to a digital flash-drive in 2009), as well as large-print and braille texts. The only other ones that do as many services are in Hawai`i and Utah. We are a 24-hour service, with 90 percent of our programming created by volunteers in-house.

That's awesome! I love talking books especially, as the readers of certain stories help you understand the point of view of the character(s) a lot.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000