Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha ...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

APT
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  5:50:37 PM  Show Profile
... from a newbie to slack key guitar. I used to play (sort of, anyway) classical guitar, and then gave it up when I felt that I was no longer making any progress.

That was quite a few years ago. A couple of months ago, though, I was talking with someone and the topic of guitar came up. He asked what kind of music I used to play -- folk, rock, Hawaiian slack key ...

For some unknown reason, I started investigating your beautiful form of music. I downloaded some tabs from Keola Beamer's site, and then found Ozzie Kotani's excellent book. I was hooked.

I'm able to decently play about six songs, and I'm struggling with No Ka Po. How I will ever manage some of those fingerings is beyond me, but I'm going to try.

I've already learned some things from this forum, and I look forward to learning a lot more. Hawaii has a special place in my heart. I've been there many times, and my wife and I toy with the idea of someday retiring there.

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  8:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha and welcome to the Patch APT! So glad to have you here. There are lots of people that can help you out with Hawaiian Slack key on here. No be shy. Keep on posting.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  06:24:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage
me newbie to dis place too. welcome aboard.
wea you stay?

kawika
Go to Top of Page

APT
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  05:20:34 AM  Show Profile
Thank you both for those welcomes. I live in Southern California. I can't believe how much I have become hooked on slack key guitar. I've been ordering cd's and tabs like crazy. I love this stuff.

I also have been looking at some youtube videos. I saw Ledward Kaapana ... good grief. He was incredible. I am learning that there is quite a world of slack key out there.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  07:16:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
I also have been looking at some youtube videos. I saw Ledward Kaapana ... good grief. He was incredible. I am learning that there is quite a world of slack key out there.
Welcome to the patch!

Watch out or you might become a Led-Head as well as a Slack-Head!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  09:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
a SoCal slacker! where are you located? there's a group of us in San Diego County, and other players in beach-side Los Angeles...

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  4:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Hey APT,
Welcome to the patch. You have aleady stumbled on to the best in my opinion. I will be spending next week with Ledward at his workshop in Waikiki. I never get tired of Led's music.
Lots of help here in the learning process, enjoy. Jerry
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  04:35:12 AM  Show Profile
Aloha APT and welcome to Taro Patch. This is the home of so many talented folks who never hesitate to help others learn about and appreciate Hawaiian music and culture. And we just have good fun, too.

Check talk story every Sunday, where I post new finds on You Tube each week. You will surely find something educational and entertaining on that. Also, please do not hesitate to joini in the talk story threads where we joke around and have fun.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

APT
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  08:41:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks again for the kind welcomes. Keith, I live in Santa Clarita, about 45 minutes north of downtown Los Angeles. Jlsulle, what a great opportunity to attend Led's workshop. Wanda, I'll be sure to check the talk story each Sunday. I'll make that part of my Sunday morning routine.

In the meantime, I have gotten better on the difficult parts of No Ka Po that I thought were impossible. Hope springs eternal!
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  11:26:20 AM  Show Profile
Good to have you on board.
What is your name and where are you from?
I started with Keola too and when I heard nokapo, I just had to learn it. Take a Look at Old Time Slack Key from Mark Nelson. It is a great resource for that old time sound and the vamps that make it happen.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  12:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
apt,

aunty nancy (pua kai) cook has kanikapila every now and then in hermosa - maybe you can come down for one of them? (nancy, if you see this, hi!) i need to come up for one - the last one i went to was great fun, and i got to meet carl and hear arctic slack key for myself.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

APT
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  11:28:58 AM  Show Profile
Haole Boy,

My name is Pete, and I've lived in Southern California all my life. Thanks for the tip on Old Time Slack Key from Mark Nelson. I'll make sure I get that.

Marzullo,

OK, I'm showing my ignorance here, so I hope folks will be tolerant, but exactly what is kanikapila?

I just received two cd's of Ray Kane: Wa'ahila and Punahele. For some reason, this music has really struck a chord (pardon the pun) in me.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  12:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
pete, no shame... "kani ka pila" is hawaiian for "play music", but it's used to mean a musical party. to my mind, there is nothing more fun than a kanikapila.

ray kane was an amazing musician - you have good taste ^_^

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  08:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by APT

... from a newbie to slack key guitar. I used to play (sort of, anyway) classical guitar, and then gave it up when I felt that I was no longer making any progress.

That was quite a few years ago. A couple of months ago, though, I was talking with someone and the topic of guitar came up. He asked what kind of music I used to play -- folk, rock, Hawaiian slack key ...

For some unknown reason, I started investigating your beautiful form of music. I downloaded some tabs from Keola Beamer's site, and then found Ozzie Kotani's excellent book. I was hooked.

I'm able to decently play about six songs, and I'm struggling with No Ka Po. How I will ever manage some of those fingerings is beyond me, but I'm going to try.

I've already learned some things from this forum, and I look forward to learning a lot more. Hawaii has a special place in my heart. I've been there many times, and my wife and I toy with the idea of someday retiring there.

E komo mai! (Welcome!) What islands have you been to? I've been to Maui No Ka 'Oi twice and want to go back asap. Good luck with your ki ho'alu playing! Feel free to record yourself and share with us all, okay?

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  06:36:45 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Pete!
Welcome to taropatch; always glad to have another "local" here. I am in Manhattan Beach and love to have folks over for Kani ka pila - - That's a JAM Session! Be sure to come to the Slack Key Festival that Mitch Chang is putting on in Redondo Beach in January. An number of the SCSKS (SoCalSlackKeySociety) will be there, most from San Diego County. Both Jim "Kimo" West and John Neira are out your way and there are a number of excellent players between here and there, including T-Dan, Denny Barry, Scott Hillman - - etc.
I will surely have another kani, but probably not 'til after the holidays... stay tuned (had 2 surgeries and got brand new titanium knees in the last couple months - - not quite fully recovered). We mainly share our ki ho'alu, but other instruments are welcome. And there are pretty much all levels of players.
Malama Pono,
(that means "take care")
nancy

PS: Keith, did you meet my nephew when you ran the race in Lahaina?? Those of you on Maui may know him - Joe Alueta.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  3:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Nancy,
Glad to hear you jumped into a knew set of nees.
I hope they turn out as well as mine did

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000