Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Why play a 6 or 8 string Ukulele?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  05:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
I have a friend that is buying an 8 string ukulele she says because she never picks any way and that she loves providing her own Harmony.
Since I have never played an 8 string (can not wait to see hers) I would love to get others take on the idea of a Ukulele with more than 4 strings.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  05:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
For me, it's volume and tone. Primarily, I am strumming chords to accompany singing and/or hula dancing, so my six-string (with an octave difference in the two doubled ones) gives me more volume, and is covering a wider musical range.

I don't do a lot of picking, but Momi does. She's not comfortable with the feel of double strings in that situation, but it doesn't bother me - probably because I've also played a little bit of mandolin.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  07:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
6 and 8 stringers are perfect for singers who want a fuller sounding accominiment to their singing, like your friend. Picking on a six or eight string uke can be tricky. When you play a scale it seems to jump to another register or octave. Melodys seem to break up when you jump from a double string to a single string. Picking on the double string gives an airy kind of Montgomery/Benson parallel octave sound, which is very cool. But a piece like Guava Jam would lose a lot of the melodic movement. Still, for some people, that is not a problem.

I forget? An ukulele with 8 strings has a pairing that is unison, yes? If all the strings on an 8 string were tuned in octaves, picking would not be problematic. Like a 12 string guitar. But I don't think that is the case.

Aunty Genoa graciously let me play her 6 string at the Marriot during their show a couple years ago and when it came time for the paani, I was stumbling with the melody. I had to resort to picking on one string at a time and improvising instead of imitating the melody.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  08:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I love my six string, both for strumming and for picking. If you play a fingerpicking pattern, it sounds way cool.

But, as Hiram says, it gets a tad odd when you play melodies. Not that I mind odd, mind you.

There are a couple of different stringing patterns for the six string. Some, like mine, have octave strings on the both the C and A courses. Some double the A course, with octaves on the C course.

For the ultimate in extra string fun, look for a tiple. (Both "tip-pul" and "tee-play" are acceptable, BTW.)
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Dave
Akahai

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  08:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Uncle Dave's Homepage
The 6 and 8 string ukus makes it sound like two or more ukers are playing. I love the full sound it gives.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  09:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Hikabe, yes like a 12 string guitar. 1st and 2nd set tuned the same. 3rd and 4th an octave apart.

As for picking melodies, it just takes some getting used to. Never tried a 6 string for melodies, seems like it would sound like you were missing a string when alternating between paired strings and single strings...but maybe not.

I do enjoy the full sound of my 8 string, but then I hear Iz doing Ulili E or Over the Rainbow and just love the sound of just him and his 4 strings.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

niele
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  2:19:58 PM  Show Profile
Whats the best way to tune a six string tenor?
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  9:40:55 PM  Show Profile
Another pattern Iʻve seen on a 6 string is to double the 3rd and 4th strings with the 1st and 2nd singled. When I asked why so, the player said it was easier to paani using only the first two strings.
I have never heard one, but some ukulele are made with a five string set-up. Not sure which string is doubled.
And finally there is a six string set up which is like a mini-guitar. Koalohaʻs model is the D-VI. And Kanilea refers to their model as a guitalele.

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  07:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
And finally there is a six string set up which is like a mini-guitar. Koalohaʻs model is the D-VI. And Kanilea refers to their model as a guitalele.

Well, if it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck...

Personally, I'd call a six-stringed instrument that is tuned like a guitar and played like guitar a "guitar." Maybe a little guitar or a travel guitar or a 1/2 sized guitar or even a kiddie guitar.

But it is still a guitar to this boy.

"Some people call it a fowl, at least that's the story I heard..."

Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  08:25:22 AM  Show Profile
Actually the D-VI and guitalele are more tuned to a requinto.

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  10:17:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by niele

Whats the best way to tune a six string tenor?

To quote Judy Collins (on how to tune a 12 string guitar) "You find the one that's out of tune, and you tune the other 11 to it."

keaka
Go to Top of Page

lokelina
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  6:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit lokelina's Homepage
I play an 8-string, soprano ukulele. Our other band member plays an 8-string tenor ukulele. The combination of the two, in our opinion, sounds great. The soprano goes good with the tenor voice, and the tenor goes good with the soprano voice. All a matter of preference.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  02:30:55 AM  Show Profile
Aha -- I am not the only one who is niele! I second Braddah Ed's opinion. The music of Na Mele o Hawai`i is most excellent!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  09:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Howzit Roz! Good to see you! Mobettah to hear you and da gangy!
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  12:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Actually the D-VI and guitalele are more tuned to a requinto.

Which would make it a requinto, then, wouldn't it?

Quack, quack, waddle , waddle.

http://www.hago.org.uk/guitars/requinto/

My point being that a six string ukulele tuned like a guitar (or requinto) and played like a guitar-- or same -- is not an ‘ukulele. It is some form of guitar-- which is what a requinto is.

Other itty bitty guitars are called "child's guitars," or "half-sized guitars" or "travel guitars" or, yes, requintos. Some are tuned up a 4th. Which includes both the K-VI and the Tacoma Papoose, I think.

And, for further 'ukulele factoid fun, consider the Venezuelan cuatro:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuatro_ instrument

The Puerto Rican cuatro is tuned differently and can have up to ten strings.

And both come from the Medieval/Renaissance guitar. Which was tuned like.... an ‘ukulele!!

Now even I am confused....

"But Columbus was smart, he said 'You can't fool me!,'
A chicken ain't nothin' but a bird."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000