Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ukulele for Beginners
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pittdg
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  09:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Send pittdg a Yahoo! Message
I am a huge fan of hawaiian island music from traditional to reggae. I have been wanting to learn how to play the uke for a long time. Well, I finally purchased the KOA PILI KOKO soprano ukulele from Music Guy Mike, and after all the great reviews of this item, I can't wait for it to arrive. I'm interested in everyone's input on the best tool to learn from whether its a certain book, dvd, etc.. There is a hawaiian cafe owned by a native Hawaiian here in Ohio and my wife and I are weekly regulars. He has offered to teach me some basic techniques and chords. I still need some tools to keep me practicing and become a better player..I look forward to all your input. ALOHA to everyone.

easyukulele
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  09:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit easyukulele's Homepage
Dude, come and check out my website at http://www.easyukulele.com. I got free online video lessons.
Hope this helps!!

Happy Playing!!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  11:29:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I highly recommend Teresa Bright's "Beginning Ukulele" DVD, available at Amazon and Mele.com.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  12:33:45 PM  Show Profile
That's good news. Wanda bought hers from MGMike last October, and is really pleased with it and Mike's customer service. We're both attempting to learn to play it. Maybe we can work together. Our Hula School is starting up tomorrow, after a summer hiatus. We meet mondays in the Twinsburg Public Library. Drop an Email to Wanda or myself if you want details, there are language and keiki and adult hula sessions. There was some talk about looking into uke lessons at a local music store, also in Twinsburg.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

pittdg
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  1:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Send pittdg a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much for the responses, and I am already looking into the easyukulele.com website and I have heard a little bit about Theresa Bright's dvd. I purchase alot of my music from the mele website. I live 15 minutes from Twinsburg, and have been to their luau's in February all three years. I will definitely be emailing for more information on learning the language and taking the hula classes. MAHALO to everyone again, and look forward to more posts as I learn to play my new uke.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  1:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I almost forgot...Keoki Kahumoku has a DVD that is also very good:

http://www.thegtw.com/artists/keoki_kahumoku/keoki_kahumoku_ukulele.htm

YouTube sample here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIAhVZdrbFE

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/16/2008 1:51:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  1:51:35 PM  Show Profile
Dan,

If you're a beginner I'd recommend Keoki's "Beginning 'Ukulele" DVD which is available at http://www.thegtw.com/artists/keoki_kahumoku/keoki_kahumoku_ukulele.htm. He does a nice job of presenting all the basics from tuning, to strumming to picking with different keys, etc. Also where's the cafe in the Cleveland area, I'm a west sider and I'm unaware of it.

Good luck!

--Mark
Go to Top of Page

pittdg
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  2:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Send pittdg a Yahoo! Message
It's called Coconut Hut , and is located at 271 W. Main St. in Geneva, Ohio. Ku'u is the owner , and tell him Bruddah Dan sent ya.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  09:19:51 AM  Show Profile
I count at least 4 peoples here in Cleveland from The 'Patch. That's enough to start a band. We don't necessarily have to play in public, or even around family members, but we could help each other learn. Can find some hula dancers to accompany, too. They allow me to play in public with them, must not be too choosy. What say ye?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  10:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
Keoki Kahumoku's "Beginning Ukulele" from the Guitar Workshop (www.thegtw.com) is probably the single best beginner's instruction video period, for any instrument. You cannot go wrong with that one.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  10:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Pittdog, Get a concert or tenor size uke for better flexibility. Sopranos are great for strumming. But a bigger uke is more practical when playing most songs. Especially if you have big fingers.

You shouldn't have trouble finding tools, as there is already a huge amount of stuff out there. So as not to ruffle people's feathers, send me an email and I will tell you what not to get. For instance, the Iz book is a guitar players effort to make it uke easy, but the opposite has occured. You have to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Definitely not for most beginners.

Sakuma's Treasury of uke chords book, Mark Nelsons black book, Sakolov/Beloff book and John Kings green book is excellent material when you get a chance.

You should also read a current college level music theory book from time to time so you can better understand the medium you are exploring. Enjoy...

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 09/19/2008 7:11:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  02:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by pittdg

I am a huge fan of hawaiian island music from traditional to reggae. I have been wanting to learn how to play the uke for a long time. Well, I finally purchased the KOA PILI KOKO soprano ukulele from Music Guy Mike, and after all the great reviews of this item, I can't wait for it to arrive. I'm interested in everyone's input on the best tool to learn from whether its a certain book, dvd, etc.. There is a hawaiian cafe owned by a native Hawaiian here in Ohio and my wife and I are weekly regulars. He has offered to teach me some basic techniques and chords. I still need some tools to keep me practicing and become a better player..I look forward to all your input. ALOHA to everyone.

I guess it depends on how you learn best, whether it's through reading, watching, or listening. I pick up everything I play by ear by using CD's or my teacher playing it and then me copying. That's just because I have perfect pitch.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  09:50:24 AM  Show Profile
Perfect pitch? That's when you throw a banjo into a dumpster, and it hits an accordion.
Paul

Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  12:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

Perfect pitch? That's when you throw a banjo into a dumpster, and it hits an accordion.
Paul

Hahahahahahahaha!

You didn't know I have that? I know Bill Wynne, Alana, and Kili knew that.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Edited by - alika207 on 09/21/2008 12:13:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  4:19:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

Paul

I always thought it was a hammered dulcimer that the banjo hit.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  5:13:37 PM  Show Profile
I heard that a harp was involved in the dumpster incident. Seattle joke: A person drops an accordion and a banjo off the Space Needle---which one hits the ground first? Answer: Who cares?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000