Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Kuu Home O Kahalu'u
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CSKPlayer
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  12:05:22 PM  Show Profile
Aloha from Houston,

It's me again-the Beginner! Looking for the Tab for the song Kuu Home O Kahalu'u.

Any info on learning this Classic Olomana song?

Apreciate any kokua.

-CSKPlayer

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  1:05:53 PM  Show Profile
CSKPlayer - email me and I might be able to help you
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  2:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Do you know chords or just tabs? If you know chords by the names of them, consider going to tropicalstormhawaii.com. I'm sure they have it listed.

Nani song!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Edited by - alika207 on 09/19/2008 2:27:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  7:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
That is a beautiful song. The tabs at tropicalstorm.com are pretty accurate(thanks alika). Try it along with the recording a few times before concentrating on just the tabs. It isn't slack-key tuning. It's tight-key tuning in E major, the same key Jerry Santos does it. I do it in the same key, but in standard guitar tuning.

http://www.tropicalstormhawaii.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?pid=song&song=tb/kuu_home_o_kahaluu.txt

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  8:22:49 PM  Show Profile
olately it looks like Jerry is using a D tuning. At least it loked like that on Pakele lounge.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  04:31:07 AM  Show Profile
Uncle Jerry and Barry Kimokeo make that song sound so good when you hear them play it in person, but Ima tellin you that the Olomana recording of it has some of the best sounding guitar stuff I have ever heard. When Paul plays it, I tell him it doesn't sound like the recording and he has to tell me he is only one guy with two hands. Additionally, the pure poetry of the song blows me away.

Duke makes it sound ever so nice. Just him and his two hands.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slackkey808
Akahai

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  10:45:59 PM  Show Profile
My girlfriends dad told me it was in Open D. I've never tried Open Emaj tuning b4 though so I wouldn't know. You learn new things everyday I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  10:07:10 AM  Show Profile
One guy, two hands, but I play it in taropatch, 'cause I can't sing it in D.If it comes down to sounding like the guitar on the record and not singing, I'll come up with my own arrangement in a key that suits my limited vocal range. I have to sing; it's just how/who I am. They sure did make some gorgeous guitar parts on that one, though. Jerry did tell us that he plays it in open E,when we saw him last May at Chai's.Open D is exactly the same relationship from string to string, but a whole step lower. Easier on the strings, too. Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  1:24:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Been playing this song note for note since day one when it was released.
It's in an "Open Emaj" tuning but my advice to you is to tune to "Open D"
& capo the second fret. In "Emaj" you'll have to tighten the 4th string
a full step & take the chance of breaking it.the 5th string also goes up
a full step but I've never broken one of those.Simple song with 2 guitar
parts.One of the fullest sounding open tunings used a lot in Delta Blues.
Emaj strings 2 through 6 have the same relationship to one another as
Taropatch tunings strings 1 through 5.Theoretically anything you play in
Taropatch can be played on strings 2 through 6 on Emaj.

Strange observation: One guitar tuned to Emaj Or Open D tuning sounds
better that 2 guitars tuned to standard for this song Probably the
subtle reverberations of the unplucked strings or just the increased
sustain of the open plucked strings.

Aloha
Braddah Duke

Howzit Braddah Duke (and you too Braddah Jay),

This song brings back fond memories of when we jammed down at the beach park this summer. It was great to play with someone who knew the 2nd guitar part while I played the 1st guitar part. Was even more ono with Jay playing rhythm on the ukulele.

We were in Open D to match our vocal ranges. And yes, the two boloheads were singing too .

Aloha,

Doug

Edited by - PearlCityBoy on 09/22/2008 1:25:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  06:50:30 AM  Show Profile
Braddah Duke,

Same time, same place, same ono food, more people--sounds like a plan. Don't know if any Kahumoku Workshop folks will come over from Maui, but maybe I can get my cousin and a couple of other Oahu slackers to come out of the woodwork. Have you and Jay been jamming with any of the new Oahu Taropatchers? How's Carmel and the Laie father and son's playing coming along? Was good fun meeting them.

Plus, I want to see with my own maka Braddah Jay play slack key. I saw the YouTube video posted a couple of weeks ago that claimed Braddah Jay was playing the ki ho'alu. Wuz sweet, but you know, could have been anybody since there was no actual footage of who was playing. For all I know, it could have been Ozzie .

Aloha,

Doug

Edited by - PearlCityBoy on 09/24/2008 06:55:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  10:09:46 AM  Show Profile
Braddah Doug - I think our dear sweet Jay is shy and bashful. Yeah, that's it. He's shy. And bashful.

Dat kolohe buggah got evereone faked out about his geetah playing. He can play very fine.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  1:37:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Braddah Doug - I think our dear sweet Jay is shy and bashful. Yeah, that's it. He's shy. And bashful.

Dat kolohe buggah got evereone faked out about his geetah playing. He can play very fine.

Jus to let you guy's know who really was playin,braddah Taka Meenay.He use to play 12 stringa now only 6.He no play wit us no moa,he stay jammin wit da faddah and son duo. Main ting he stay playin.Him and duke go way back.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  1:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
E why no go ax Taylor Martin get plany gitars.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  1:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Medeiros

E why no go ax Taylor Martin get plany gitars.

Not to be confused with the jazz guitarist, Martin Taylor. I am not making that name up: http://martintaylor.com/
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  1:53:48 PM  Show Profile
Eh professah,you too good.Das why you da teachah and I da student But yeah I goin ask taylor martin,da last time I seen em was at ward warehouse at island guitars in da high end room,he was askin fo too much money.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  3:10:20 PM  Show Profile
Braddah Jay - dat was da bestess 6-string 12-string guitar I ever heard! Plenty good music came out of that guitar. Plus gave Duke an opportunity to practice his luthier skills.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000