Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Eh, Peter Medeiros, remember "Sonny" ??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  6:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I scored a few LPs and one of them is a Sonny Chillingworth item, Poki Records SP7-9025, entitled "Sonny" and featuring David Kelii, Peter Medeiros, Rocky Tolentino, Matt Nakamura, and "Oz" Kotani.

I've enjoyed the whole LP, and the great cover shot of Sonny looking soulfully tough, cradling his D28. The tune I'm working on these days is "Honolulu Harbor." This recording features four slack key pa`ani in different styles and on different sounding instruments. I'm guessing the first one is Sonny on a 12 string, but I'm clueless about the rest.

So, Peter, any memories of those sessions you'd care to share?

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  8:11:45 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like an awesome albume, i wish I could hear it... hopefully that stuff will get reissued or something some day so more people can access it.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  09:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
This LP got some discussion back in 2004--here's the thread that includes Peter's contribution:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2016&SearchTerms=Sonny

Sonny's widow Kiki told me that Ozzie was, um, persuaded to sing on that album; Oz recalls that it was on "Mai `Ae I Ke Hewa" and one other, and that everyone got solos.

Copies of "Sonny" show up on eBay--that's probably where I got mine. I keep this search link for Hawaiian LPs in my bookmarks:

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/Records__W0QQ_nkwZhawaiianQQLHQ5fTitleDescZ1QQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR2QQ_mdoZMusicQQ_pcatsZ11233QQ_sacatZ306QQ_sopZ10
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  3:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

.... any memories of those sessions you'd care to share?

I was going to reply earlier, but my computer gave me the beep death code and I have been sort of out of the loop on cyber connections.

"Sonny" was recorded 32 years ago at the old Sounds of Hawaii Studio down on Young Street. outside of what Russell referenced from the archives I don't think I can add too much to this other than I remember the music was kind of an eclectic assortment songs. I contributed two songs to the album; Tomi Tomi and Ka Mana‘o No Ia.

Tomi Tomi was an old style song from the turn of the twentieth century. I had first heard Al Kealoha Perry do this and just loved the joy he took when performing this. The arrangement was uptempo as the subject matter of the song was very risque. It was a song you could not sing in a formal setting. I remember teaching Sonny the lyrics and he would be telling me " God... this one's hard... I don't know if I can get the tempo..." Anyway we did get it to the point where the delivery was fluid.

My father's family -- on his mother's side -- is from Moloka‘i. When I was in college I was lucky enough to spend time on this island with my Auntie Kulia, my grand aunt. She lived in Kalamaula not far from the Helm's place. I have always associated Ka Mana‘o No Ia with this time in my life. It is a poignant song in a very slow waltz time. Ka Mana‘o No Ia was written by Ida Hanakahi who was a singer and hula dancer from Moloka‘i. She used to perform with Johnny Noble in the 1930's about the same time my Dad was in the band. I learned the song from Alice Weisbarth. I was in a trio with her daughter Likelike and Frank Fernandez we played on weekends at Pat's at Punalu'u.

When Sonny first asked me to play on this album I noticed that there were no Moloka‘i songs and although Sonny was from Moloka‘i he didn‘t know Ka Mana‘o No Ia. Because Sonny was short of songs for the album, I suggested Ka Mana‘o No Ia and then I taught this song to Sonny. He called Auntie Ida to make sure she wrote the song and that the words were good. Everything checked out and we were good to go.

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 01/23/2009 3:28:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  9:43:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh Peter,

Thank you for the history, I had been waiting for a response from you. I feel better now.

Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  07:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Peter, so glad you're back on line.

So, no memories of "Honolulu Harbor" and who took which solo?? It's very inspiring to hear each musician play through such a simple song and find such a different path.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  08:43:23 AM  Show Profile
Boy, as why hahd. I get one recording called Sonny too but it is different. None of the songs you Fran, mentionedx are on my recording. Now I would like to hear that one. That is the one you got.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  08:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

Hey, Peter, so glad you're back on line.

So, no memories of "Honolulu Harbor" and who took which solo?? It's very inspiring to hear each musician play through such a simple song and find such a different path.

Fran

Pam and I are about to go walking on Kailua beach this morning where we last saw you and Lynn. I'll give it some thought as to what we did. Before they started studying with Sonny, both Matt Nakamura and Oz were students of mine at UH, so they were already advanced students and understood linear and chord movement in an improv situation. I've got to go now, Laters.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000