Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Ozzie Kotani's new CD "Ho'ihi" (Respect)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  9:24:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

I just got through reveiwing my copy of Ozzie's new CD called "Ho'ihi" which translates to "Respect".The intention of this CD is to pay homage to kupunas by recreating pure old style unadultered traditional ki ho'alu. If you were unsure of what "traditional" slack key sounds like this will answer that question once & for all. A man, his guitar, traditional alternating bass & more is less sweet & simple melodies. Absent purposely are the signature Ozzie arpeggios that we associate with him.

Rather than showcase his virtuosity on slack key guitar Ozzie instead chose to tell the story of the Mele & kupuna, not in his notes but in theirs.An instant classic. Mahalo Ozzie for reminding us of the roots of ki ho'alu. Much "Ho'ihi" (respect) for you.

As of now only Ozzie has the CDs on hand for sale at $15 per copy. His new website is not fully functional right now but will be shortly. Try "Facebook" also for the time being. I don't know if it's good idea to post his Email address so I'll refrain from doing that.

Tad
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  2:10:45 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo for the advanced notice Duke! Anxious for it to be available and hear it soon
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  10:15:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Mahalo for the heads up Duke. The web site appears to working well enough to be able to listen to samples and order the CD...the only problem is that it lists a price of $16 with free shipping but if you try to place an order it adds on $4 for shipping for a total of $20.

What's especially interesting about the site though is this text on the tablature page:

"Ozzie is currently working on a book of Hawaiian Slack Key tablature with an accompanying CD
As we get closer to publication, more information will be posted on this page."

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/16/2009 10:17:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tad
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  10:35:07 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo for the link cpatch. I just ordered a copy via PayPal. $16 w/free shipping. There was a priority mail option for $4 more.

Looking forward to hearing more on the release of the book/CD on tabs
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  12:35:53 PM  Show Profile
I must be really dense --
Can someone help me by please typing out the link/address that works?
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  1:16:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
originally posted by cpatch
"Ozzie is currently working on a book of Hawaiian Slack Key tablature with an accompanying CD
As we get closer to publication, more information will be posted on this page."

I was under the impression that this was said project.Now I need to clarify with Oz.

I'm sure everyone will love "Ho 'ihi" Unlike some of Ozzie's earlier CDs the contents are more within the reach of aspiring slack key guitarist. Not simple but much less complex & complicated.

Note: This project was an effort to emphasize true "Traditional" ki ho'alu.In part motivated by a lot of recent releases wrongly advertised as "Traditional Hawaiian Slack Key" This undoubtedly clears the air IMHO....Not bias,just bi-polar

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?

Edited by - sirduke58 on 01/16/2009 1:18:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  1:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
That's weird...the free shipping option wasn't there when I tried it. It is now.

Raymond, the link is http://www.ozziekotani.com - it may take a while for the page to load completely. The order button is the last thing to show up.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  3:00:55 PM  Show Profile
The samples sound wonderful. Can't wait til the mele man gets here!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  9:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Craig, worked like a charm.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  09:23:18 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo for the info -- stopped by Ozzie's house on Saturday, and picked up a box of 'em for MELE.COM!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  8:21:02 PM  Show Profile
Auntie on the spot! you are...

Julie
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  11:11:34 AM  Show Profile
quote:
originally posted by auntie maria
Mahalo for the info -- stopped by Ozzie's house on Saturday, and picked up a box of 'em for MELE.COM!

No problem Auntie ,Ozzie thanked me for posting about the CD here because it led to you grabbing a bunch of them.Thanks to you I got acknowledged

Aloha
Braddah Duke

Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  2:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Aloha everyone,

Ozzie plays a bunch of different guitars on the album, from a refurbished National, to his old nylon, to a requinto (sp?) to his Taylor. There are also a couple of duets with Tom Kaulukukui (sp? again), a retired judge and avid practitioner of Hawaiian arts.

Ozzie is a one take wonder. In addition to being a human library of slack key, he has great facility on the guitar. He's just an all around great player, in and out of the studio.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/

Edited by - Darin on 01/20/2009 2:14:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  10:16:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Darin

Aloha everyone,

Ozzie plays a bunch of different guitars on the album, from a refurbished National, to his old nylon, to a requinto (sp?) to his Taylor. There are also a couple of duets with Tom Kaulukukui (sp? again), a retired judge and avid practitioner of Hawaiian arts.

Ozzie is a one take wonder. In addition to being a human library of slack key, he has great facility on the guitar. He's just an all around great player, in and out of the studio.

I though I heard a resonator guitar.... That's the one you told me about Duke, right? Really cool :)
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  03:38:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
originally posted by sm80808

I though I heard a resonator guitar.... That's the one you told me about Duke, right? Really cool :)

Yeah Shawn that's the guitar. here's the whole story.......

One early evening my friend & I were driving up Houghtailing Street on our way to Mak Bowl for their famous oxtail soup.Out of the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse of a guitar's headstock on a pile of curbside trash. So I ask my friend to make a u-turn so I can go & check it out. I was a little embarrassed to be "Shopping" from someone's trash so without taking a good look I grab it & throw it into the back seat.When I get it home I realize that the guitar has A metal body & the headstock & neck is totally termite eaten.I'm thinking that even in the bad condition the guitar was in that it might still have some trade in value with the "Good Guys Music Store"

I had it for about a week when Jay caught sight of it & asked what I was going to do with it, then asked for it.I said sure on the condition that he keeps it for himself otherwise I'd trade it in for store credit. Well Jay called & describe the guitar to Bobby Ingano & he told Jay that guitar was worth good money.It's a National Dobro Resonator guitar from the 1930's. Bobby not only recommended a luthier in New York to refurbish it but paid $550 up front to have it fixed!!!!Bobby said someone he knew had offered $2000 for the guitar after it was fixed.I saw a similar one in crappy condition going for $2400 at Island Guitars.

Jay didn't care much for the sound of the dOBRO.Months later Jay & I gave it to Ozzie in appreciation for taking us on as students.It was priceless to see Ozzie when he first test ran the Dobro being blown away by the projection of the instrument.At the same time Jay was amazed at how awesome the Dobro sounded in the hands of a pro. Then this exchange took place.........

Jay: So wat Oz wat you tink of the geetah?
Ozzie: Awesome, da projection is unreal da action & intonation is great & da playability great.
Jay: So wat you like da geetah den?
Ozzie: Oh yeah dis is one awesome instrument.
Jay: Brah das yours from me & Duke.
Ozzie: Hah???? No ways!!!I no can accept dis from you guys.
Jay: (All bummed out)Hacome brah you no like da geetah or sumtin???
Ozzie: It's not dat.Brah not even my maddah give me good kine stuff lidat!!!

We got a good laugh out of that& it took awhile but we convinced him to accept it. Then we requested songs for him to play for us & found out that day that he was going to try and record with it!!! He thanked us for the "New Voice" that he received. It was pure fate that the Dobro ended up with Oz. Rescued from the trash heap to the top of the heap with the "Wizard of Oz" Ozzie shared the story on the Ron "Whodaguy" Jacobs show.

Edited by - sirduke58 on 01/21/2009 03:58:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  04:37:16 AM  Show Profile
Az coz Duke and Jay get bambucha aloha. So much aloha, can't help but spill ova, touch all kine of peepo. See how that one act as spread in widening circles, jalike a leaf hitting water in a pond, bigger and bigger circles, ever widening.

I love you my braddahs. I stay get waimaka.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000