Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Ozzie Kotani's new CD "Ho'ihi" (Respect)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  05:03:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

He thanked us for the "New Voice" that he received. It was pure fate that the Dobro ended up with Oz. Rescued from the trash heap to the top of the heap with the "Wizard of Oz" Ozzie shared the story on the Ron "Whodaguy" Jacobs show.
Braddah Duke, if you and braddah Jay keep dis up I going hafto call you guys da Bolohead Bumbucha Menehunes, which means you going hafto shave Bobby Ingano bolohead too.
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I love you my braddahs. I stay get waimaka.
Here you go Auntie. Now you can go peeyo sammo onions.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  08:38:28 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by guitarded
which means you going hafto shave Bobby Ingano bolohead too.

Nah, nah. Bobby still get planny hair. No shave em.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  10:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Duke, thanks for saving that instrument! It is a totally cool guitar.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  11:02:34 AM  Show Profile
Howzit Bruddahs Duke and Jay,

When I saw Ozzie at Uncle George's workshop last summer, I asked him about the resonator guitar you guys "found" for him. He raved about it and couldn't believe you guys gave it to him. Now that's what Aloha is all about!

Bruddah Duke: "Out of the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse of a guitar's headstock on a pile of curbside trash. So I ask my friend to make a u-turn so I can go & check it out. I was a little embarrassed to be "Shopping" from someone's trash so without taking a good look I grab it & throw it into the back seat."

Hmmm . . . OK, when you boloheads are ready to cut your first album, I think instead of "Opihi Pickers" you guys should call yourselves "Opala Pickers."

BTW, I found my 1970s Harmony archtop next to the trash bin when we lived in New Jersey. Was in pretty good shape and sounds good in C Maunaloa. Lesson learned: keep an eye out for what's in your neighbor's trash!

Aloha,
Doug

Edited by - PearlCityBoy on 01/21/2009 1:25:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  12:24:33 PM  Show Profile
Man, as a steeler, I'd give my 'okole for one of those! Is it a round neck model? They go for $2.5K to $3.5K pn ebay.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  1:32:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
originally posted by guitarded
Braddah Duke, if you and braddah Jay keep dis up I going hafto call you guys da Bolohead Bumbucha Menehunes, which means you going hafto shave Bobby Ingano bolohead too.

Not to minimize Bobby's generousity but Jay reimbursed Bobby for it.And dat "Bolohead Bumbucha Menehune" crack.....I resemble dat!!!!!
quote:
originally posted by pearlcityboy
Hmmm . . . OK, when you boloheads are ready to cut your first album, I think instead of "Opihi Pickers" you guys should call yourselves "Opala Pickers."

Das one good one Doug even mo' appropriate since we "junk" playahs hehehehe!!
quote:
originally posted by Darin
Duke, thanks for saving that instrument! It is a totally cool guitar.

Nah braddah Darin, it was pure fate that the guitar followed that route.First of all we were flying down the road at 40mph, it was dark,the trash pile was on the opposite side of the street & I never went "dumpster diving" before. Maybe divine intervention???Who knows?
quote:
originally posted by wcerto
Az coz Duke and Jay get bambucha aloha. So much aloha, can't help but spill ova, touch all kine of peepo. See how that one act as spread in widening circles, jalike a leaf hitting water in a pond, bigger and bigger circles, ever widening.

Nah Wanda no need praise us cause I made up da whole story!! Nah nah nah it wuz jess da rite ting fo' do.We gifted it to Ozzie in appreciation for not only being our kumu but for also being our friend

Eh Jack sorry braddah I have no idea what model it is but I'm not surprise by the going prices you quoted from EBay.

Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  2:03:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:

[quote]
Das one good one Doug even mo' appropriate since we "junk" playahs hehehehe!!

not even.. :P
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  2:06:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

Man, as a steeler, I'd give my 'okole for one of those! They go for $2.5K to $3.5K pn ebay.
quote:

Eh Jack sorry braddah I have no idea what model it is but I'm not surprise by the going prices you quoted from EBay.
You also gotta wondah if braddah Jack's 'okole is really worth dat much.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  2:23:35 PM  Show Profile
Only men get GAS...nobody in dey right head would pay dat kine kala for something less than a fiddle made by dat various guy what make Strads. Well, 'cept for menz.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  2:55:26 PM  Show Profile
I always expect the best from Ozzie and am never disappointed. That's the case here. Superb album. For those of you who may be in doubt because of the "old time" emphasis - not to worry, this is still top of the line Ozzie. This one is high on my "gift giving" list.
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  3:05:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Only men get GAS...nobody in dey right head would pay dat kine kala for something less than a fiddle made by dat various guy what make Strads. Well, 'cept for menz.
Mens clearly know a good ting when dey see it and take logical, calculated steps in order to acquire it. Unlike womens.

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  3:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the heads up Duke. Gotta question for those who have the CD.

My brain confuses the lilting riffs of Nani Ho`omanao wtth the lilting riffs of Punahele - both by Uncle Ray. Sarah is the only person I know who can play the long-form Punahele in Double Slack (and did so in public at the Blue Marlin in Ma`alea that wonderful night long ago)and Nani Ho`omanao in D Wahine. So, tonight, she tried to untwist my brain by playing both on different guitars in succession.

Minor issue: Turns out, to my brain, that Punahele's riff goes up on the last note and NM's goes down. Punahele then becomes more complex in the long-form. Any other ideas about the relationship of the two pieces?

Slightly more major issue: I can never remember Oz playing in D Wahine. I am sure he can play in whatever tuning he wishes, but, until I get the CD, could you put me out of my intellectual misery and tell me if he plays it in D or G maj 7th? The clip sounds like D, but what do I know?

If he plays in G Maj7 (Double Slack) it would be a blessing for those of us who are so comfy in G. Besides, I could start to work more on a slide fill for Sarah's playing of them, which has me confused out of my mind.

For those who don't understand the funny issues: watch Uncle Ray's tape in which he plays a song that is nearly identical to the one he intended: "How did that sly mongoose creep in there?"

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  5:33:53 PM  Show Profile
Duke and Jay

My wife and I went to dinner with Ozzie the day after you gave him the National. When we went to pick him up he was "you guys are not going to beleive what a couple of my students just gave me" he was so happy and very proud.

A beautiful instrument and in the right hands

Can't wait to hear the CD

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  7:47:21 PM  Show Profile
Braddah Ed: If that film clip of the man brain and the woman brain was not so funny, I might have to get grumpy at you, ah, but no can. You made me laugh so hard! Who is that guy? I never heard of him, but oh so funny. And he hit the nail right on da kinipopo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  8:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Three songs on the CD are in D Wahine (DADF#AC#):
Nani Ho'omana'o, Midnight Hawaiian serenade, wahine Slack Key

1 in Drop C : So Ti
1 in C Maunloa: Ho'ihi