Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Ozzie Kotani's new CD "Ho'ihi" (Respect)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  1:00:13 PM  Show Profile
sniff, sniff

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  4:31:34 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Duke, you just totally made my day!
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  05:45:18 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo NUI loa for posting that the liner notes are finally available on Ozzie site! Here's da link:
http://www.ozziekotani.com/linernotes.html

And folks -- please order directly from Ozzie, if possible. He deserves to get the biggest chunk of the sales $$

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  1:53:38 PM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria - that is one very pono thing you said. See -- anyone who loves this music is full of aloha. More waimaka on my part. It's OK, Braddah Ed. I get choke kleenex by now.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  07:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Derrick Malama (great guy) has been playing Ozzie's album on Hawaii Public Radio Morning Edition constantly for the past week or so. Hey Duke, heard your magic National on HPR today!

Slightly embarrassing, but we recorded the whole thing in Garageband '08. I do my stuff in Garageband too. . .

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  08:54:08 AM  Show Profile
Darin - not a darn thing embarrassing. Be proud of this magnificent gem! It is so cool that even the liner notes talk about Duke and Jay's gift to Ozzie. He doesn't say their names but he tells about two of his students giving him the instrument. So Duke and Jay's aloha has been perpetuated and documented for all time. That is part of the ever widening circle of ripples on the pond.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 01/26/2009 08:54:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  03:15:34 AM  Show Profile
I'm cleaning out my picture files and look what I found:

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RichM
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  10:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit RichM's Homepage
Lots of history with this CD and with Aunty Alice.

In conversation with Ozzie he mentioned that Bishop Museums archives has a recording with Aunty Alice talking story about Ray Kane and new. Scolding almost to a third party. Wonder what Ray thought? Maybe keep playin'??? History.

One part of it in the background you can hear traffic, and a souped up V8 goes buy and Aunty sez something along the lines of how society is going amuck. If only she were here today, wonder what she'd say?

Ozzies latest CD is a welcomed addition & Ozzie, many Mahalos for the effort and energy you put into this as I know it took a lot of time for this to come together.

Maybe one day Samoan slack key on a CD?

Music and Ridin'

Edited by - RichM on 02/05/2009 10:39:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  08:59:19 AM  Show Profile
Just saw a photo of Ozzie with the dobro Bruddahs Duke and Jay found in the trash and which is used on the album. This is from Ron Jacob's blog--scroll down to July 11, 2008 and keep scrolling past the first photo of Ozzie. What a sweet looking instrument.

http://whodaguyhawaiicom.blogspot.com/2008_07_01_archive.html

Aloha,
Doug
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  09:36:42 AM  Show Profile
Eh mahalo fo' da link Doug, yup das da Dobro!! I tink Jay or Bobby Ingano found out it wuz made in da 1930's lidat! Da buggah is heavy too,mo' heavy den one banjo.Wuz really cool fo' read da Dobro story, best of all being referred to as "Buddies" Just as Ozzie is mo' den just one kumu,he owah "buddy" too
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  7:12:47 PM  Show Profile
Howzit doug,in a nut shell.Fromm duke to jay,from jay to bobby whom send it to the mainland for refurbishing,back to jay,then from braddah jay and braddah duke as a gift to ozzie for his generosity and aloha.I guess you could say the rest is history.That guitar was meant to have a second life.
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  10:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Ho'ihi, excellent overall. I know Ozzie and Tom, they played before me last summer at the 26th Annual Slack Key Fest at Kapiolani Bandstand. With the music and the front cover showing the Vaqueros...gives me goosebumps. Simplicity at its best; illustrates how the real cowboys would play the guitar. My Papa John Puni Kauli'a would have been proud to hear Ozzie play 'E Liliu E', a Kao'o & Kauli'a composition.
Mahalo nui loa Kotani San!
Braddah Don Kauli'a

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  5:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
And let's give Tom credit too because he is playing lead on E Lili'u E. Really tasty, and a credit to Ozzie who backs him up in a humble way that makes Tom sound as good as possible.

This whole CD got me thinking about sources. I'd love to hear the Auntie Alice tape. But there are other sources easy to come by, namely ones on "The History of Slack Key Guitar" which I just got and had never heard before. Now I do nothing but play guitar and these two CDs over and over.

And I am not surprised about Ho'ihi. Because of his classes, people think Ozzie just writes tab that he plays by rote (the way some students play). He is also I think shy about improvising at Kanikapilas. But he has always urged us away from tab and towards improvisation. And his style has always reminded me of that. Think of Mahinahina on his first Winston album (Kani Ki Ho 'Alu) It has always seemed to me to be that that just had to be another one right off the cuff.

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  5:41:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
originally posted by garson
And I am not surprised about Ho'ihi. Because of his classes, people think Ozzie just writes tab that he plays by rote (the way some students play). He is also I think shy about improvising at Kanikapilas. But he has always urged us away from tab and towards improvisation.

Hey Garson,not to contradict you but I don't know why anyone would get the impression that Oz would be reluctant to improvise at kanikapilas. Maybe he acts differently at those camps because Oz cuts loose at the drop of a hat all the time.Don't think I mentioned it here but the title track "Ho'ihi" is a totally improvised one take song in C6 Maunaloa. Oz said he tried another take but it didn't come out right.Cracks me up when he says if he wanted to play the song the same way again he'd have to listen to it and learn itIt's just the 2nd song that Oz has ever composed in this tuning "Ku'u Kika Kahiko" being the only other.

Aloha
Braddah Duke

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  6:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Garson, I know you're trying hard, but it kind of came across as a left handed compliment which is okay. I know from my own experience that there are just a handful of slack key artists that who are capable of jamming at a high level.

I truly understand that your experience and exposure to slack key is limited and you met Oz once, but there is significant difference in the level of improvisation one may observe in a learning environment such a guitar camp -- where there are students paying big bucks and encouraged to become involved-- versus one where all of the players know the standards like the back of their hand.

For one thing, the playing dynamic is at a much higher level. The level of competency is a cut above the rest. When you are truly capable of performing at this level you react, you do not think, and you probably do not even remember what it is that you played -- you play by feel. I am perhaps the only one here who has the good fortune of watching him evolve into the artist that he is today. I'm not going to give you a lecture, but Oz is one of the best at improvising that I know and I have known him for almost thirty-five years.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000