Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Ozzie Kotani's new CD "Ho'ihi" (Respect)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  02:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Raymond,

So Ozzie does what Uncle Ray did. Great.
Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  06:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

For those of you who may be in doubt because of the "old time" emphasis - not to worry, this is still top of the line Ozzie.

The "old time" emphasis is actually what attracted me to it.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  10:19:21 AM  Show Profile
Personally, I favor more contemporary approaches. That said, good slack key is still good slack key - and this CD is very much worth having and listening to.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  1:46:51 PM  Show Profile
The mele man came today and brought our Ozzie CD, even with a "Mahalo, Wanda" from Ozzie in his genuine own handwriting. What a nice gentleman. He doesn't know me from Adam. And what a swell musician. There is a variety of music on this recording - some fast, some slower, some sweet as can be. But pure and simple, to the casual listener, but as Duke says, it takes great skill to make it sound "simple". I especially enjoyed Lili`u E. Great job from Ozzie and lucky we are that we can listen to it.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  05:53:56 AM  Show Profile
It says on the CD that notes can be found on Ozzie's web site, but no can.

I am interested in the picture on the back of Ozzie and an older gentleman. Does anyone know who is the older gentleman? I love the pic on the front cover. Inside it says it is a picture from Bishop Museum. It is really neat. Man, what scrapbooks I could make prom pics lidat.

Anyhow Dukie and Jay, when you see Ozzie next, please tell him it is so nice. So very, very nice. Now I gonna get da kaula `ili out and crack it for to get Paul more practicing and practicing. Ho`omakaukau!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  08:11:24 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

It says on the CD that notes can be found on Ozzie's web site, but no can.

I am interested in the picture on the back of Ozzie and an older gentleman. Does anyone know who is the older gentleman? I love the pic on the front cover. Inside it says it is a picture from Bishop Museum. It is really neat. Man, what scrapbooks I could make prom pics lidat.

Anyhow Dukie and Jay, when you see Ozzie next, please tell him it is so nice. So very, very nice. Now I gonna get da kaula `ili out and crack it for to get Paul more practicing and practicing. Ho`omakaukau!

I think Ozzie said that the gentleman sitting with him on the porch is Tom Kaulukukui. He is also listed as playing on two of the tracks "E Lili`u ē" and "Moana Chimes Tribute"
Go to Top of Page

Tad
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  09:42:14 AM  Show Profile
My copy was delivered yesterday and I immediately popped it into iTunes. What a wonderful collection brought to us by Ozzie. I'll have to wait 'till he comes to Seattle to get it signed though

"Rather than showcase his virtuosity on slack key guitar Ozzie instead chose to tell the story of the Mele & kupuna, not in his notes but in theirs." Well said Sir Duke! Ozzie's quite a story-teller virtuoso

Live aloha
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  10:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Yep, the gentleman on the back cover is Tom Kaulukukui, Jr., retired judge and practitioner of Hawaiian arts, including Lua and slack key. Very involved in Hawaiian culture, somewhat of a "renaissance man."

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  5:24:03 PM  Show Profile
After reading Reid's post, I noticed that there are at least three songs that are very similar to Punahele.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  6:07:05 PM  Show Profile
The mailman brought me Ozzie's CD yesterday and I have been playing it nonstop. The website page that features the Ho'ihi album has the sentence "Click here for liner notes." Mine printed out perfectly. If it won't print for you, Wanda, I can xerox mine and send 'em I suppose.

There is an extra bonus on the website ! Ozzie includes a FREE TAB of one of the songs "Music for Dreaming," from the album. Just look under the tab for Slack Key Tablature.

Darin, you did a great job recording, mixing and editing this album!

Duke and Jay, Thank you so much for giving Ozzie the dobro. I zeroed in on the Old Timer's Hula snippet on Oz's website ,just loving it, even before I knew the story. Perfect marriage of instrument and song. You guys are wonderful for giving it to Ozzie. Can't wait to meet you two and kanikapila the next time I come to Oahu from New York City!

This album is so full of goodies. Ozzie taught me one of the songs last summer and I had been waiting to hear the rest. I love all of it. The old style slack key is so beautiful to me. And Ozzie plays it like a dream.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  11:11:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
originally posted by claudia
Can't wait to meet you two and kanikapila the next time I come to Oahu from New York City!

Eh Claudia just say the word & we'll fire up the grill for the BBQ & fire up the players for the kanikapila!!!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  01:52:30 AM  Show Profile
Claudia - thank you for letting me know about that link on his web page. I guess I did not scroll down far enough.

It sure is a good CD, yeah?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  03:57:04 AM  Show Profile
Don't you just love that I can get invited to a BBQ from 6,000 miles away and I know for a fact that I will have the best time jammin' with two guys I have never met?? (thank you Andy ) By the way, I will be bringing my ipo, who plays the KonaBob Walkingstick bass! We are going to have a blast! Thank you for the invitation, Duke!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  05:38:15 AM  Show Profile
Dukie - Claudia get one mean falsetto!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  11:00:10 AM  Show Profile
quote:
originally posted by Darin

Ozzie is a one take wonder. In addition to being a human library of slack key, he has great facility on the guitar. He's just an all around great player, in and out of the studio.

I guess Darin no like toot his own horn but he did all the recording on this project. Wow brah no say nuttin' eh? Awesome job my braddah And it needs to be acknowledged. Hoku garanz ball baranz,Grammy too if no mo' some bad trip politics involved.

One of the "one take wonders" that Darin alluded to is the title track "Ho'ihi" which Ozzie totally improvised on the recording. Wonder how it feels to be so gifted that a song like that just falls off your guitar??? (tanx fo' dat line Kory) It's also only the 2nd song that Ozzie has ever composed in C6th Maunaloa.His signature "Ku'u Kika Kahiko" being the other.
quote:
originally posted by Claudia

Thank you so much for giving Ozzie the dobro. I zeroed in on the Old Timer's Hula snippet on Oz's website ,just loving it, even before I knew the story. Perfect marriage of instrument and song.

That's the first song we requested when Ozzie first test ran the Dobro.Seemed like a perfect fit. And about the BBQ invite? Ozzie said good things about you long ago.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000