Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 What happened...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  12:41:32 PM  Show Profile
Happy birthday guys. Glad to have you back. My daughter's Bday is today too (she's alot younger though :) )

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  1:04:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Practice til your fingers bleed then you can talk maybe.

My fingers bleed and I no even practice slack key. I oni jus have to live in Cleveland and get da kohl weddah. Do not let shoyu get on your hands when you get da cracks on da fingahz. Ow-ow-ow.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  1:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

My fingers bleed and I no even practice slack key. I oni jus have to live in Cleveland and get da kohl weddah.

You not playing enough `ukulele, Wanda. Gotta build up those calluses. Play a lilobit erry day. It'll hurt - but eventually it won't. And you'll be glad (plus, all the practice will make you an even better player).

Or play steel instead. Last year at Folklife, slipry1 switched to bass when I needed him for an emergency fill-in set. He's a great player, but hadn't done so in such a long time that, halfway through the set, he realized that it was KILLING his fingahs, cause his calluses were long gone.

It didn't help that my bass guitar has round-wound strings...known as "ground-wound," because they will ground down your skin. Maybe I'll switch to flat-wounds someday...
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  1:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Slack key in its purest form is an Hawaiian invention and no way can someone who is not native to the land can understand what some of us go through because of statements like yours. --- No manner of modern innovation can minimize the fact that slack key is Hawaiian first and anything else cannot be labeled as slack key if that source is not treated with proper respect. --- You as an absolute beginner must do the research andpay the dues. Like most of us have.

And the corollary to that is that being from Hawai`i does not automatically give you understanding of slack key. Folks like Al know that they still gotta pay their dues, get on the long path, fall down, take wrong turns, come back, realize that they shoulda listened closer to tutu, learn when to ask and when to just observe, practice practice practice, get knocked down, have small moments of enlightenment, be angry with themselves, be inspired by others, discover that they have something they can share, keep practicing, be ignored, get insulted and get over the insult, play for countless hours by themselves, play for more hours with other musicians, challenge themselves, and never cease to be a student. And that's just to get started.
Go to Top of Page

Tad
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  2:02:16 PM  Show Profile
So great to have you in the Patch again Duke. You just made my day

BTW- Happy b-day to you and Jay too!

Edited by - Tad on 03/20/2009 2:10:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  2:08:12 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back, all of Y'all. And Happy birthday Duke & Jay.
And as for kihoalukid, who said "Ahhh, order in the universe has been restored..
Happy birthday Duke n Jay, great to see you back,you know we would have all chipped in to get Auntie a ticket to come lookin for ya... ", Never fear, Auntie Wanda stands always ready to go to Hawai`i for an errand for anyone with expense kala. Of course, I would have to go along, in case she needed help.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  2:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Paul, but of course, Auntie needs her private chef and masseuse
Lee

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  4:58:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Correction I ony got up to 415lbs for 3 reps My baby braddah is da animal who reps 500lbs.
-------------------------------------
Eh da bolohead like hang wit you guys again if you guys no mind. Today is boat me & braddah Jay's burfdaze and dis is one good burfday giff in my opinion.

Braddah Duke

Me, if I do 400, I ma'ke. My arms fall off. Gotta be HAWAIIAN or Samoan fo do dat much. Anden I ole fut, so oni can do 225-245 chree reps.

<<< Eh da bolohead like hang wit you guys again if you guys no mind.>>>
Az kaina azz backwards eh? Me, I woz asking u guyz fo come back so dat I can hang out wid you guyz again. I know that a lot of other folks was feeling the same way. Gotta get Hawaiians and braddahs and sistahs in da loi oddawize no feel rite.

Good to see you again mah braddah !

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 03/20/2009 5:26:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  5:29:08 PM  Show Profile
I know what Wanda is talking about with the skin cracking. My knuckles crack in da wintah time coz I hit heavy bags bare fists anden da callous get tick anden wintah time, da buggah crack an bleed. So den I gotta use gloves.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  7:49:49 PM  Show Profile
quote:
originally posted by retro
No mind? No mind!?! Can you feel the birthday hugs from the Mainland, brah?

I feel 'um brah I feel 'um!! Mahalos fo' dat Gregg.Tanks fo' da burfday wishes and warm welcome back from Glennpachi,Braddahs Ed,Al,Tad,Derek & Paul dis burfday gettin' bettah & bettah
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  7:58:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
originally posted by menpachi man
Az kaina azz backwards eh? Me, I woz asking u guyz fo come back so dat I can hang out wid you guyz again. I know that a lot of other folks was feeling the same way. Gotta get Hawaiians and braddahs and sistahs in da loi oddawize no feel rite.

Eh no foget I paht Podagee so wachoo expeck from sumboddeh who stay come back from one self imposed exile? An if dis place is Hawaiian themed kaina make cents postoo have Hawaiians too,but da Hawaiians at haht jess as good
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  9:14:09 PM  Show Profile
E Duke,

Mo betta you back...

I never like discord, still, I don't always keep my mouth shut when I should!

Talking about slack-key, I remember as a small child, when I was living on Java where my Dutch parents were teaching at the time, that we had this wonderful guitar music called "krontjong". Finger picking, my Dad played it all the time, eventhough he was a classically trained symphony musician and first flautist in the orchestra, and choir director at a big church.

But the style of guitar playing was so similar, I never even thought about it until just now, maybe that's why I respond so warmly to slack key. It evokes the same responses in me as when I was a child! Another eye-opening moment for me!

I believe many other cultures have their own versions of slack-key.

Julie

PS, I'm part Podagee too! Some great-grandfather was a Podagee sea captain, mayor of Macao at one time!

Edited by - Julie H on 03/20/2009 9:15:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  12:56:02 AM  Show Profile
For reals Duke, good to have you back bruddah. :)
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  01:09:35 AM  Show Profile
quote:
originally posted by Julie H
I never like discord, still, I don't always keep my mouth shut when I should!

I hear dat Julie!! Mahalo fo' da welcome back sistah

Eh Shawn glad to be back mah braddah "Fo'Realz"
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  02:29:54 AM  Show Profile
Glad to see you back Bruddah Duke. :)

A strong Hawaii presence here is a very good thing.
Otherwise, those here that want to learn from it are drifting.
When locals make this a meeting place we all get to learn about Hawaiian slack key. It's not only about the notes that get played.

To all of you guys that walk the walk and talk the talk, Mahalo!

Bob
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000