Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Its all in the family....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  4:32:53 PM  Show Profile
I got to thinking about "professional" Hawaiian musicians and how much major talent seems to run in the families.

Does it seem that there is a greater proportion of Hawaiian families that are so musically talented than there are non-Hawaiians?

Some of the ones I cn think of, of course, are the Pahinui's -- Gabby, Bla, Phillip, Cyril, Martin, and God rest his soul, brother Peter. Then there are the talented grandchildren.

The Kahumoku `ohana -- George and Moses and then Keoki.

Dennis Kamakahi and David Kamakahi, and Dennis' father was a trombone player in the Royal Hawaiian bBand, I think.

Led & Ned Kaapana, his sister; and don't forget his cousin Dennis Pavao.

The Lim Family

The Keale and Kamakiwiwo`ole `ohana

John & Jerome Koko and Jerome's daughter who dances beautiful hula

Who else am I forgetting? There are bound to be lots more.

The only similar thing I can think of in non-Hawaiian music, I guess would be the Carter Family and yikes, I hate to say, the Osmond and Jackson families. Oh wait, maybe the Lennon Sisters, too.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  4:43:50 PM  Show Profile
The Brothers Cazimero
The Beamers
Aunty Genoa, Eric,Po'omaikai etc
Atta & Barney Isaacs
Peter Moon & Peter Moon Jr
George & Raiatea Helm
Kevin & Ikaika Brown etc etc etc......

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?

Edited by - sirduke58 on 04/20/2009 4:54:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  9:08:43 PM  Show Profile
The Delima's
Ai's
Cruz's
Gilliom's
Pilioha
Let's not forget the Abrigo's

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  12:29:31 AM  Show Profile
I wanted to list the Abrigos too but thought some might think they're not established yet. You could add Ozzie to the list because his sister is a Cellist with the Honolulu Symphony Orchestra.Don & Hoku Ho and still get smoe more.How about the Ho'opi'i Brothers?

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  04:45:17 AM  Show Profile
Aunty Vickie I`i Rodrigues -- from her composer-father James, to her, and on to her performing keiki (Boyce Rodrigues, Nina Keali`iwahamana, etc.)

The Kalima `ohana -- Jesse, Honey, and all the Hilo Kalima's, too.

The Ho`opi`i Brothers -- Rick & Solomon.

Brother Noland and his brother, Tony Conjugacion.

Keli`i Kaneali`i and his sister (whose name escapes me right now...sigh).

Kainani Kahaunaele and her talented mom, known here on Kaua`i as "Lady Ipo", can be heard singing a duet on Kainani's album. Lady Ipo has been a professional singer in the islands for decades, which proves that Kainani didn't fall far from _that_ tree!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

kuulei88
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  04:49:22 AM  Show Profile
Conjugacions--Tony, Noland, Keahi
Changs--Frank & Moana and every one of their children
Ohta-San & Herb Ohta Jr
Fardens
Vicki Ii Rodrigues
Mapuana & Kihei de Silva & daughters Kahikina and Kapalai'ula
Browns: don't forget the kupuna--Bunny & Kihei & Anuhea

amy k
Go to Top of Page

kuulei88
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  04:50:37 AM  Show Profile
Kanaka'ole family too: four generations since Aunty Edith represented on commercial recordings

amy k
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  05:33:35 AM  Show Profile
Hey Auntie Amy... I think the Stillmans are on the list too

Aunties a Grammy winner and Nephew Nate has pulled bass for just about every working band on Oahu.

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com

Edited by - JimC on 04/21/2009 07:07:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  05:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
The brothers Monroe, Delmore, Louvin, Atkins, Everly (with dad), Marsalis, Mills, Ames; the sisters Andrews, Boswell, Clooney, Lennon, Mandrell, McGuire; the Collins Kids and the Carter Family.

Interesting how many of these are from the country end of show biz. The other pattern is close-harmony pop/doo-wop groups, which is not really surprising given the way these genres feed into like folk/home-music settings.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:58:21 AM  Show Profile
What about Sista Robi Kahakalau and her sister who writes wonderful mele.

Oh, yeah. How could I forget the Kanaka`ole family. After all, we went Washington, DC to see them.

Maybe the Hawai`i `ohana music thing and the hillbilly music thing has to do with learning to entertain yourselves. Even though there was TV when I was a kid down in the hills, no one could get any TV stations in the hollers. No satellite back in those days. We could get radio and listened to Grand Ole Opry. But moreover, we entertained ourself by making music. With instruments or without -- mostly without. And we would always sing at least one church song before stopping. None of us could sing worth a darn, but who cared?
I remember..."I once was lost in sin, but Jesus took me in, and then a little light from Heaven filled my soul..." or "Love lifted me..." or "Come to the church in the wildwood".

One had no access to turning on a switch to watch bandstand on the TV or playing too much of anything on a record player. After all, 45's caust about 25 cents and an LP, sheesh, that cost maybe 2 or 3 dollars.

I suspect same thing in Hawai`i away from the cities. Kindy Sproat spoke of being a bunch of miles mule ride off the road to get to his house. Led guyz entertained themselves, too. And even though Gabby dem lived Waimanalo and it was not exactly the sticks, had plenty entertainment going on at that house. People played music because they loved it, not because they were trying to make a living at it. It was just serendipitous that they could also make a little bit of kala by entertaining others.

But we never had any "professional" music families like in Hawai`i.

Oooh, no forget Dolly Parton's family over there in Sevierville, TN for a talented hillbilly music family.

Amy - does that Chang family include Wayne Chang, hula brother of Mapuana de Silva and Robert Cazimero?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  11:13:54 AM  Show Profile
Since I was lucky enough to hear her in the pouring Ha`iku rain last evening, I must add the multi-talented Robyn Kneubuhl to this list. Her mother is Emma Veary, much-loved recipient of the Hawaii Academy of Recording Arts “Lifetime Achievement Award”. Robyn has taught at Aloha Camp.

She and friend Ginger Johnson are the Hula Honeys. They specialize in hapa-haole tunes (and more) and play every Monday night at the Hana Hou in Ha`iku, Maui. Robyn also treated us to a couple of hulas, including "Welina O`ahu" by Robert Cazimero, a beautiful mele I've never heard before.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  2:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Does it seem that there is a greater proportion of Hawaiian families that are so musically talented than there are non-Hawaiians?

no

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  2:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hookani

The Delima's
With their new CD, they definitely fit into this discussion.

Also the Kamahele `ohana.
Go to Top of Page

kuulei88
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  5:34:02 PM  Show Profile
Auntie Wanda: I think you're onto something, about family music-making being about entertaining ourselves. And being out in the sticks really isn't a requirement. It's about spending time together, wherever the family homestead i; and deciding to play guitar & 'ukulele and singing along instead of turning on the radio.

Chang family: I really don't know if Wayne Chang is related to the Moana Chang's talented family that includes Randy Chang, kumu hulas Keoni and Keli'i Chang, and the group Kanilau with son Roland Chang and daughter Alapa'i (Chang) Artis.

The Fardens: a deep reach, with Auntie Irmgard, daughter Mihana and her daughter Kahala; and Diane (Farden) Fernandez and sons Kekua and Kalani, and nephew Hailama Farden.

Here's another: Martha Hohu, daughter Leila Hohu Kiaha, and her son Charlie Kiaha.

And Nohelani Cypriano and mother Leina'ala Simerson, the pianist.

And Karen Keawehawai'i, father John Keawehawai'i, and daughter Tracie Farias Lopes.

The Stillmans? Nate & I are aberrations . . .

amy k
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  8:06:52 PM  Show Profile
quote:
originally posted by ho'okani
The Delima's

At first I tawt Frank & who? Den I wen remembah Kelly Boy,Kapena & now his sistah

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  03:08:29 AM  Show Profile
During the 60's, wasn't there a Chinese family from Hawai`i that had lots of childredn and they were very musical and toured all over? I think I recall that one of the girls was about my age and they were on the Mike Douglas show once for a week as co-hosts, but I cannot remember their name. But I remember that is the first place I had ever seen hula danced and explained that it told a story, and they explained some of the hand movements. That stuck with me all these years.

Someone please help me to remember who they were.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000