Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 guitar question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  12:46:47 PM  Show Profile
Right now I have a Seagull Acoustic guitar S series. I am in the process of learning about different guitars. I was on the Larivvee site and some of the guitars are made for light strings. So that is new knowledge for me. Does any one have any suggestions on what guitar would have a nice sweet sound for slack key. And what to look for. One of the problems with my seagull is that is has a lot of vibrations esp at the D string. I have had it fixed twice but it continues. I thought I would use this one for standard tuning and a new on for slack key. My Seagull was a gift so I have never purchased my own guitar!
I cannot afford anything over 2K. I love the Collings but they seem a bit steep for my cosmic budget.
I am sure I will get many opinions but I will value them all.
I thought about a Po Mahina but I want to purchase a guitar that I have my hands on as each piece of wood is so different and I think it is better to purchase one in person.
Mahalo

Judy

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  1:52:05 PM  Show Profile
It's definately better to buy in person. Just the thought of taking the time to play every guitar you can find in your price range gives me chicken skin! I would try every store in driving distance,too. It may be necessary to spend a lot of time to try all those guitars, but you know what they say; "Marry in haste, repent at leisure."
Your ears and hands will have to be the final judge of what to purchase. If possible, I would suggest waiting untill you have at least a couple of slack key songs in each of at least 2 tunings. You will want to know just how the guitar behaves with strings slacked way down low. I suspect the really loose strings will vibrate wildly if the gauge is light or extra light. Some tunings may require heavier strings.
Shopping for a new guitar is a labor of love, play 'em all untill the right one won't let you leave without it. But go in with enough repertoire to give them all a fair workout.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  2:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
If possible, I would suggest waiting untill you have at least a couple of slack key songs in each of at least 2 tunings. You will want to know just how the guitar behaves with strings slacked way down low. I suspect the really loose strings will vibrate wildly if the gauge is light or extra light. Some tunings may require heavier strings.

That is some of the best advice I have seen yet. Good on ya, Paul!

I'm not sure what you mean by "a lot of vibrations esp at the D string."

If you mean vibrations, as in the body is very live and the sound just keeps on ringing when you pluck the strings... well, that is exactly what you want in a guitar for slack key.

If you mean buzzy, rattly ugly mechanical sounds; that can come from a bunch of things. Most likely it is simply that the guitar has not been set up properly. Any competent guitar repairman (not necessarily the heavy metal head at the local Guitar-o-Rama) can solve it.

If you mean that the D string rings out much louder than the other, try cranking the one string up or down by as much as a whole step (D-E, or D-C). Don't worry, you won't break your guitar. If the problem goes away, you've got a guitar that'll sound great in D tuning!

Good luck. You'll get lots more advice here--- we all love to talk about our guitars.

PS: Save up and buy a Po Mahina-- and yes, that means saving up for a trip to Hawaii so you can play one. Where's the harm in that???

Edited by - Mark on 05/06/2009 2:14:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  3:21:18 PM  Show Profile
Judy,
Slack Key can sound nice on so many different guitars, it boggles the mind. More important to you is -- what guitar will fit me, my ear, my personality, and my style of playing so that I may best express myself and continue to practice for better performance. You can listen to Chris Yeaton or Keola Beamer and decide that a "Grimes" guitar is exactly what you need. However, if the guitar is too big for you to comfortably hold and play -- you'll stop practicing and playing. Many of us here in San Diego have Taylor guitars -- most likely because the factory is in our back yard. However, each one of us has a different stye, size, wood composition, and different string guages -- I even have a Taylor nylon string. Each one of us has found our own voice with our own instrument and that is what keeps us practicing, playing, and performing each week at Open Mike.

Sounds like the neck on your Seagull is set for medium guage strings and standard tuning. If you lower the tuning, the total string tension pulling on the neck is less and the neck (like a bow and arrow, bow) bends towards your body (while holding it to play) and the strings hang closer and closer to the fretboard -- eventually buzzing on the neck at the lowest point. This is normal and natural for a guitar. If you are going to play in a slackened tuning more often than standard, you can have a good technician reset your neck for you (usually a simple twist of the truss rod nut or a saddle spacer). Just tell them what tuning and the strings you use. When you had it fixed before did you tell them what tuning you were playing in -- I'll assume not and the technician set your neck for standard tuning and medium guage strings. We call this "adjusting the action" of your guitar. It will probably fix your discomfort with your current guitar. A good friend of our plays slack key very well on her Seagull guitar. ;-)

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  05:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I feel a bit guilty making this suggestion because of the risks involved, but there are discussion forums that focus mainly on acoustic guitar, with lots of discussions of different models, pictures, and classified ads.

The risk is an affliction called GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) which causes the victim to burn with unquenchable desire for more guitars and more and more.

But that probably won't happen to you, right? So you're safe to visit The Acoustic Guitar Forum at http://69.41.173.82/forums/index.php

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  06:02:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

I feel a bit guilty making this suggestion because of the risks involved, but there are discussion forums that focus mainly on acoustic guitar, with lots of discussions of different models, pictures, and classified ads.

The risk is an affliction called GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) which causes the victim to burn with unquenchable desire for more guitars and more and more.

But that probably won't happen to you, right? So you're safe to visit The Acoustic Guitar Forum at http://69.41.173.82/forums/index.php

Fran
Oh yes I am GAS and proud of it but my cosmic budget isnt cooperating. Thank you for the suggestion of the acoustic guitar forum I will make a visit.
Judy

Judy
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  06:07:16 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Mika ele

Judy,
Slack Key can sound nice on so many different guitars, it boggles the mind. More important to you is -- what guitar will fit me, my ear, my personality, and my style of playing so that I may best express myself and continue to practice for better performance. You can listen to Chris Yeaton or Keola Beamer and decide that a "Grimes" guitar is exactly what you need. However, if the guitar is too big for you to comfortably hold and play -- you'll stop practicing and playing. Many of us here in San Diego have Taylor guitars -- most likely because the factory is in our back yard. However, each one of us has a different stye, size, wood composition, and different string guages -- I even have a Taylor nylon string. Each one of us has found our own voice with our own instrument and that is what keeps us practicing, playing, and performing each week at Open Mike.

Sounds like the neck on your Seagull is set for medium guage strings and standard tuning. If you lower the tuning, the total string tension pulling on the neck is less and the neck (like a bow and arrow, bow) bends towards your body (while holding it to play) and the strings hang closer and closer to the fretboard -- eventually buzzing on the neck at the lowest point. This is normal and natural for a guitar. If you are going to play in a slackened tuning more often than standard, you can have a good technician reset your neck for you (usually a simple twist of the truss rod nut or a saddle spacer). Just tell them what tuning and the strings you use. When you had it fixed before did you tell them what tuning you were playing in -- I'll assume not and the technician set your neck for standard tuning and medium guage strings. We call this "adjusting the action" of your guitar. It will probably fix your discomfort with your current guitar. A good friend of our plays slack key very well on her Seagull guitar.

I have taken my guitar in twice to the local luethier and he knows what type of music that I play. I get from him "it is what it is." He thinks there is nothing better than a "fine" guitar meaning that mine is not a fine instrument. I am thinking of taking it somewhere else and getting a second opionion. I think your suggestion is right on target. Your validation of my Seagull is appreciate since your friend is playing slack key on hers. I appreciate it.
Judy

Judy
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  09:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
The best acoustic guitar I have ever played was made by a guy named Bruce Sexauer from Petaluma CA. www.sexauerluthier.com bruce @ mojoluthier.com 707 782-1044

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  09:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
One of the things I feel is important in finding the right slack key instrument is balance. Since slack key uses such a wide range of notes, or maybe octaves is the proper word, it's important to have a guitar that projects all the notes somewhat evenly...the bass, mid, and treble notes. Listen for these characteristics as you play those 1 or 2 slack key songs that Paul suggested you learn before shopping. Are you hearing the full range of notes?

One guitar that I like that seems to fit that criteria is the Taylor 414. The Larrivee L body also has very good balance. Both have mid sized bodies but are deeper than most other similar sized guitars. Which may have something to do with the nice bass these two smaller body guitars seem to have.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000