Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 brand new to slack Key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

molokai_kuro
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  08:20:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit molokai_kuro's Homepage  Send molokai_kuro an AOL message
Hey Im a local boy that is going away for college on the internet. I just got a guitar and I wanted to try and learn slack key. So a friend of mine suggested Ozzie Kotani's book which I bought. I have pretty much no music experience what so ever and I know this is going to sound stupid but how do you get Taro Patch tuning from standard tuning on a guitar? Like my friend was trying to tell me that you hold this fret and it should sound like this string...and I got confused. So could anyone help me out?

Thanks!

-Jon

molokai_kuro
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  08:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit molokai_kuro's Homepage  Send molokai_kuro an AOL message
Hhaha. Um it says I go to school on the internet but I meant California.
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  08:50:42 AM  Show Profile
Probably the easiest thing is to get an electronic tuner of some sort which makes tuning so much easier. Then go here (http://www.taropatch.net/tunings.htm) and tune your guitar as shown.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  09:33:56 AM  Show Profile
Howzit Jon

Best advice would be to pick up a cheap electronic tuner(around $20).Then you tune your guitar from top to bottom D-G-D-G-B-D. Do you know how to tune your guitar to standard tuning? If so the simplest way to get to Taropatch would be to tune your top (or 6th)string down to sound like(same pitch as) your 4th string,your 5th string down to sound like your 3rd and your bottom string down to sound like your 4th string.Another alternative would be to first slack your 6th string to sound like your 4th string the reason for this is to ensure that you won't end up a full step sharp (2 frets high) on 3 of your strings and risk breaking them.Next you fret the 6th string at the 5th fret to find the pitch for you 5th string,then 5th string 7th fret,4th string 5th fret, 3rd string 4th fret and 2nd string 3rd fret.This method won't get you to a "Concert pitch" Taropatch tuning but it'll work for the time being until you get an electronic tuner.

Good luck wit' da ki ho'alu my braddah and you stay stahtin' at da rite place wit' da Ozzie book. Oz wen jess give me one of deez books dis past Satuhday.I been playin' fo' long,long time and if I had dis book in da beginning,garans wooda shave ye'ahs off da learning curve.Enjoy da journey my braddah ,da slack key shood help you deal wit da homesickness too lidat

K-den
Braddah Duke

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  09:46:54 AM  Show Profile
Wow Bruddah Duke...You wen sneak one in on me...I wen open, no had you insai. I wen look back, you was insai. You no what dey say about great peepo? Hehe.

OK, you already get Ozzie's book. Get da tunings from whea Ho`okani said...Listen to Uncle Duke too fo get tings in odah!

Get one Tuner...like yestahday. Dis wun is simple...

If you get stuck, go down Mo`omomi Ave to Kili (some peepo call'um Keli'i, which is da real name but youknowwhoImean) Mawae's house. He can help you out to get you started. Trust Uncle Poi Dog.

Trivia-Kualapu`u was known as what plantation camp?

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 04/08/2009 09:52:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

molokai_kuro
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  11:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit molokai_kuro's Homepage  Send molokai_kuro an AOL message
Ho thanks a bunch guys! means a lot to me. being able fo learn da slack key make me feel at home so much!!!! mahaloz!!!!
Go to Top of Page

slackkey808
Akahai

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  9:21:02 PM  Show Profile
Pretty funny Jon, is that friend who tried to help you me or someone else? I could've told you to get the tuner, but then you not exercising your ears too much (always good to use one though if you change tunings a lot cuz then you could mess up the tuning real bad, I usually get a little flat if I keep alternating between taropatch and standard and especially after I come out of C6 (Uncle Duke). But that's why I got two guitars now to have one in C6 and the other in taropatch :)
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  06:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Just to make sure there's no confusion (because this does confuse a lot of beginning guitar players), the "top" string is the one furthest away from the floor (closest to your face) when you're playing. It's also the thickest string and has the lowest pitch (which is where I think the confusion comes from). And despite being the first string you see when you look down at the guitar, it's actually the 6th string since they're numbered from the bottom up (also potentially confusing).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 04/24/2009 08:44:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  4:05:25 PM  Show Profile
I also would recommend Keoki Kahumoku's beginner "Ki Ho Alu" teaching DVD.

He tunes ya, and gets you picking basics in Taropatch tuning (open G--a great home to build your first skills upon
...He presents nice, basic alternating bass, and shows how to play easy "scales" with the Hawaiian pairs of 6ths, essential to the style.

You don't even need to know what 6ths are!
It's very easy to follow...and replay as needed!
A great teacher.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 04/09/2009 4:13:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

molokai_kuro
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  08:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit molokai_kuro's Homepage  Send molokai_kuro an AOL message
Zack....why are you stalking me? And yeah you were that friend. I get confused though. not talented as you...and I forgot what Shims taught us. Actually though I posted this before I messaged you. Silly. I Always listen to your advice.
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  07:21:33 AM  Show Profile
Young Man! So how's it going? Keep Uncle PoiDog posted. Hmmmmm....I seem to remember a yellow truck, an airport on a windy plain.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  12:35:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by molokai_kuro

Hey Im a local boy that is going away for college on the internet. I just got a guitar and I wanted to try and learn slack key. So a friend of mine suggested Ozzie Kotani's book which I bought. I have pretty much no music experience what so ever and I know this is going to sound stupid but how do you get Taro Patch tuning from standard tuning on a guitar? Like my friend was trying to tell me that you hold this fret and it should sound like this string...and I got confused. So could anyone help me out?

Thanks!
As suggested an electronic tuner. You will slacking the keys down from standard tuning. The Book "Learn to Play Slack Key Guitar" by Keola Beamer and Mark Nelson will take you through the tuning on the Cd that is included so you will know that you are in the right tuning. Good Luck. I am still learning and this book was very helpful. Ozzie has some good stuff to. So does Ron Loo. Ron will take you measure by measure . He will play the measure have you practice with the CD and then go on. It really helped me.
Keep on plucking
Judy

Judy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000