Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 The gathering at Yakima Urology
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Superslide55
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  2:11:18 PM  Show Profile
I think this is the message/form that was being talked about at the get together in Yakima with Uncle Rickie. I just wanted to tell all who were thank you for such a great time...i have never experience anything like that before. I was the guy playing the lap steel guitar kinda off to the side. Thanks for showing me such great "aloha" and making me feel like i belonged. Blessings to all who were there!

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  04:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
For those not in the know, the Yakima, Wash., kanikapila is an underground/grassroots multi-day Hawaiian music jam that takes place in the waiting room of a medical office. It is part of what is now three events in Yakima, Kennewick and Spokane that liven up the Hawaiian calendar in desert-like Eastern Washington.
I went to Yakima last year and it was an amazing time, full of aloha and good music. I missed this year because it coincided with May Day celebrations closer to where I live.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  10:05:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

For those not in the know, the Yakima, Wash., kanikapila is an underground/grassroots multi-day Hawaiian music jam that takes place in the waiting room of a medical office.

To participate, are you required to leave a speciman with the nurse?
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  9:43:00 PM  Show Profile
The jam is a wonder to behold and to participate in. It is very low key and doesn't accept all comers because of space and venue. It is after all a clinic that does business in the medical world. But it is a great gathering of musicians who have no big self promoting egos and chefs of foods found in Hawai'i. It is really great to find cuisine that surpasses any so called Hawaiian restaurant in the state of Washington. But most of all it is the atmosphere of aloha that pervades the entire weekend that is worth the trip if one is invited. This is the small jam. the bigger jam known as Blue Ridge Bash is the one that is open to all who chose to make the trip. It happens this October andI am planning to attend.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Superslide55
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  03:28:11 AM  Show Profile
Uncle Al good to hear from you,ALOHA! I'm making plans to be there in October, but i'm also going to be at Dusty Strings Uke Fest, late June 27-28th. I have plans to get there about 4:00 p.m. that saturday. I'm very interested to learn something from Kimo Hussey and go to the jam hosted by Uncle Rod Higuchi. Hope to see you there!
Donnie
p.s. I still laugh when i think of Uncle Ricky saying "not bad for a white boy!" When i was playing his Uke...hahaha!
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  05:16:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

This is the small jam. the bigger jam known as Blue Ridge Bash is the one that is open to all who chose to make the trip.
I gotta correck you on dat one, braddah Al. While da Blue Bridge Bash has traditionally been larger in size than da one in Yakima mainly due to da additional number of hula halau members, keikis and their ohana who live in da area, it cannot yet be open to all who choose to make the trip simply due to the venue's limited seating capacity and fire code regulations. There have been a few times when da number of okoles exceeded da number of chairs which then gave everyone da feeling like you stay driving on da H-1 freeway between Punchbowl St. and Red Hill during pau hana traffic -- way too crowded for comfort. So if only for those reasons alone it needs to remain a by-invitation-only kind of event.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  11:53:22 AM  Show Profile
I stand corrected Ed, mahalo nui. Now nuff about dis kine o hea!

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000