Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Slack Key Kings?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Pali
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  11:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pali's Homepage
LOL.. sweet! 4 pages in this thread already ;) heh heh..

next CD cover.. *faints*

I hope it's a living, growing thing!!! music should be! My band had the HONOR of jamming with Ledward at the Taylor Guitar factory and we'd played our version of `Akaka Falls, which the other guitarist recorded with whacked out jazz chords and changes.. Led did a quick tuning and was gliding in and out and it was beautiful.. Sharon has even said at home, Ledward always has a guitar in his hand. Aside from being a guitar and slack key virtuoso, he's a wonderful, wonderful guy.

Master of improvisation indeed!

Go to Top of Page

Peshkwe
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  11:59:02 AM  Show Profile
Awwww....c'mon you can do it! You don't need sleep at all, just slide a couple your picks in to prop up your eyelids...you'll be fiiiiine....

Street pizza could be real interesting as a cover...all artsy fartsy n stuff.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  12:23:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Peshkwe

By the way, here are some more vids of the different acts done by Ryan Ozawa Blogger Extraordinaire:

Teresa Bright has one of the nicest voices I have heard. I wish there were a better quality video of her performance.
Go to Top of Page

Peshkwe
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  12:26:43 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sm80808

quote:

By the way, here are some more vids of the different acts done by Ryan Ozawa Blogger Extraordinaire:

Teresa Bright has one of the nicest voices I have heard. I wish there were a better quality video of her performance.

You never know what will eventually get on to YouTube, maybe that will show up. I believe Ryan took that with his iPhone.

Edited by - Peshkwe on 06/12/2009 12:27:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  12:59:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sm80808

quote:

That's Amy Gilliom with Led and Mike Kaawa.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  1:07:43 PM  Show Profile
Wrong title on the T Bright tag. I agree with Ed

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Peshkwe
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  1:10:45 PM  Show Profile
I'll let Ryan know, I snagged the list from him.
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  2:21:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:

I'll let Ryan know, I snagged the list from him.
Maybe you can let Ryan know about this one too......which might be more appropriately listed as, "Teresa Bright with Kit Ebersback & Stephen Jones."

Amazing bass player that Stephen Jones is.
Go to Top of Page

Peshkwe
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  2:31:38 PM  Show Profile
Cool... I will as soon as the site quits trying to yak up a hairball.
Go to Top of Page

Pali
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  2:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pali's Homepage
Agreed, Steve Jones is SUCH an incredible player and I was stoked to have him on my project as well.

P.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  5:36:44 PM  Show Profile
Bill Cosby said that the surest way to failure is to try to please everyone. Let ki ho'alu be itself. Musicians will always tinker with sounds, no one can resist a sweet string of notes or a good groove. Still, for ki ho'alu, play so dat aunty an uncle can remember da small kid time.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  7:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I watched the clip and enjoyed it. I think a lot of criticism comes from people who want to freeze slack key in time. It's uncontrollable. It travels and morphs. I like the traditional stuff the most, but understand that people like to experiment and try new things. Anytime you get two Hawaiians together to jam, something unusual is going to come out of it and it will be a lot of fun.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  10:20:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Pali

Aloha All,

. . . Donald's "Sweet Wahine" is in Am opening tuning. Donald is indeed a great ki ho`alu player for those that know him.

So, to answer Uhini 'Ona's original question, are you saying the performance of "Sweet Wahine" is slack key or not?
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  10:35:41 PM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Pali

quote:
Originally posted by PearlCityBoy

I don't think the "Am open tuning" mentioned above is a traditional slack key tuning. I couldn't find it in Dancing Cat's excellent slack key tuning essay: http://www.dancingcat.com/skbook3-tuningessay.php#six . When I get a chance, I'll ask my kumus, particularly about the use of minor tunings in the slack key tradition. The actual tuning nothwithstanding, I don't think the way the tuning was played was in slack key style, and I wouldn't classify the song as Hawaiian either.

There is this:

http://www.dancingcat.com/skbook1-history.php

[quote]All of these techniques enhance the expressions of aloha, joy, or longing, sometimes all in the same song.

Like blues guitar, the slack key tradition is very flexible and can have great emotional depth. A guitarist will often play the same song differently each time, sometimes changing tempos, or even tunings. As guitarists learn to play in this very individualistic tradition, they find their own tunings, techniques, arrangements, and repertoire.

One of ki ho'alu's three most influential slack key masters (along with the late "Gabby" Pahinui and the late Sonny Chillingworth), the late Leonard Kwan, explained his playing style, "I use a lot of variations. They make what you're playing sound more interesting. It's like when you're cooking. When you put the spices in, it tastes better than just cooking plain. The principle is the same in music." Variations, he said, are even more important for an instrumentalist like him. When someone sings, the voice is the center of attention, "but when you play a slack key instrumental, to make it sound full, you have to play the bass, the melody and harmonies, do the picking and keep the rhythm. That's the hard part."

In addition to these variations, ki ho'alu music reflects what emotions the musician has at the moment. Guitarist George Kuo says, "It's a very personal kind of art, and it displays a lot of the person's feelings. You can make it fit to the mood you're in. If you're feeling sad, you can make the notes really linger and cry. And if you're feeling creative, you can really take off. You can speed up the song and make it bouncy, or you can take a bouncy song and make it hypnotic and dreamy."

For Led Kaapana, who seems to have an inexhaustible ability to improvise, the best improvisation is based on two things: the song itself and the mood of the moment, which changes each time you play the song. As Led explains, "Everything you play, every time you play, there's a mood, an energy. If you plug into it, the music just flows. Even in a simple song, there are so many different ways to play the melody, the rhythm, the harmony. It never stops if you stay open to it."

Sounds like a living growing thing to me.

Similar to my question posed in the above post, do you believe the performance of "Sweet Wahine" is slack key or not?

Edited by - PearlCityBoy on 06/12/2009 10:38:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  09:56:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Sweet Wahine is not hawaiian slack key. It's latin rock fusion. Sounds like something from Santana's Supernatural album. The musicians seemed frantic to show their shredding talents. Fantastic musicians playing non-hawaiian song or hapa-latin tune.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000