Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Slack Key Kings?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Peshkwe
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  2:26:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by guitarded

quote:
Originally posted by Peshkwe

I'm sure some Kapuna way back in the day heard a young upstart practicing this new style of music called slack key and thought "What is that mess??? Where's the chant, ipo and nose flute? That's not REAL Hawaiian music!!"
Glad to see you've reincarnated and stopped rolling over in your grave.

Why thank you, but I had to take a piss.
Go to Top of Page

Uhini "Ona
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  11:38:31 PM  Show Profile
I guess it's time to reply. Never meant make anybody huhu, but I guess it happened in the process. Specifically to Pali and Don, I understand the situation with your name better now and totally agree that artists play genre of music different to that with which they are associated. Also better understand the tuning and song played at the awards, so e kala mai ia'u. TOO many posts, so I not sure what else to right, but to Don, about your apology comment, nobody is expecting nor should expect you to apologize. Ki Ho'alu should be played for fun and has evolved since its creation. And I didn't mean to challenge anyone in ki ho'alu prowess, but to answer your challenge, I'm DEFINITELY game . No joke.
I'm a performer, not a talker...except for the times when I talk plenty, then I'm a talker. And one more thing, I'm not self taught. I don't have one musical gene in my body. I also wouldn't even know where to start in studying ki ho'alu.
And one more thing, what the hell is HARA?
Go to Top of Page

Peshkwe
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  12:11:17 AM  Show Profile
This is HARA:

http://www.nahokuhanohano.org/cms/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  05:47:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Uhini "Ona

And one more thing, what the hell is HARA?

The Hawai`i Academy of Recording Arts is the industry organization that is designed for those involved with the music business in the Hawaiian Islands. The annual Nā Hōkū Hanohano Awards are just one activity of HARA. The organization also does scholarships, educational and networking activities, in order to support and develop the unique musical scene based in Hawai`i.

Edited by - Retro on 06/15/2009 12:59:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  08:10:48 AM  Show Profile
Now stop it you guys. Not everyone knows about HARA (nor cares). Mostly us old futs. I think maybeUhini `Ona is one younger person, a student at UH, maybe even one of Prof. Petah's haumana, mebbe. Young people nokeah about HARA jalike ainokea about the whatevah organization make da Oscars. Not that I don't like movies, but.

The important lesson in all this is that people are passionate about Hawaiian music. That passion is what keeps it alive -- all dakine.

And like any one `ohana, get differeing points o' view. Not erebody haff for agree. But erebody can expect `ohana to let them speak their mind, get it off deah chess an' R-E-S-P-E-C-K each oddah.

That is why I love Taro Patch and Braddah Andy fo figgerin how fo make da 'Patch.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 06/15/2009 08:11:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  08:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Actually, Greg, this is a good question that Uhini "Ona asked. I don't believe it is necessary to admonish someone for asking a simple question. Its counterproductive. This is his second post and look at how much interest was generated. Although you and I have been around a long time, young people just out of high school or in college are unaware of how the music industry works. HARAS is a small organization with a few core people involved with its maintenance. It does not have the resources to sustain a viable level of activity year round. So it has to work with in its limited resources of people and money.

HARAS sponsors just a few events per year. There is only one high profile event that the general public sees a year, "the Hokus." There is also the luncheon or dinner for noted legacy personnel which one recipient told me I" I been put out to pasture." And a couple of years ago Jackie Rossetti (Skylark) put together an excellent seminar on the local music industry sponsored by a grant from the Big Island Economic Development something or other (somebody fill in the blanks). It was an event which I asked my students to attend for extra credit, but not one of them attended. But that is the sum of what the general public sees year after year. So after thirty years the reality is HARAS still needs to work on its image (doesn't everybody?). But this could be discussed in another thread if the need arises.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  09:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Gregg,
Let it go. This is turning into something personal and something nasty. This is not a matter of who is right or wrong. Or who has to have the last say. Just do the right thing and let it go.
Go to Top of Page

Peshkwe
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  09:51:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Now stop it you guys. Not everyone knows about HARA (nor cares). Mostly us old futs. I think maybeUhini `Ona is one younger person, a student at UH, maybe even one of Prof. Petah's haumana, mebbe. Young people nokeah about HARA jalike ainokea about the whatevah organization make da Oscars. Not that I don't like movies, but.

The important lesson in all this is that people are passionate about Hawaiian music. That passion is what keeps it alive -- all dakine.

And like any one `ohana, get differeing points o' view. Not erebody haff for agree. But erebody can expect `ohana to let them speak their mind, get it off deah chess an' R-E-S-P-E-C-K each oddah.

That is why I love Taro Patch and Braddah Andy fo figgerin how fo make da 'Patch.

I think this is why Uhini`Ona should care about HARA:

http://www.nahokuhanohano.org/cms/index.php?page=Scholarship

quote:
bill murata memorial scholarship

The Hawai'i Academy of Recording Arts Bill Murata Memorial Scholarship is awarded annually to two individuals in the amount of $3000.00 each. Recipients must have exhibited a demonstrable interest and concentration in the area of Hawaiian music, the music of Hawai‘i, and/or Hawaiian poetry and adhere to the criteria specified within the application.

As a UH student and as a self proclaimed performer it's defiantly something to look into as a way to supplement the costs of a university education....that ain't cheap and every little bit helps.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  10:04:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Medeiros

Gregg,
Let it go. This is turning into something personal and something nasty. This is not a matter of who is right or wrong. Or who has to have the last say. Just do the right thing and let it go.

Let me simply put forth a request, then, that our new friend please continue to post, to offer their valued thoughts and opinions, and to ask any kine questions --- but in a more respectful fashion. I think that's reasonable, no?
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  12:11:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Buchoono wot, itz like my auntie used to tell me “If da wind no blow, da olos not going swing. If da wind blow, den da olos going swing.”

Either way, main ting ho'alu da bebadees
                   so dat aloha can happen.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  12:14:48 PM  Show Profile
Iʻd like to add the perspective that each years choices are limited to what is being recorded. If there is not a lot of traditional stuff being written or put down in a recording then you are not going to see it at the Hokus. So donʻt blame HARA for the direction of music. Up and coming new performers bring their own brand to the mix. What you see is what you get.
Thanks Don and thanks Peter for your input. I too am tiring of arguing so I think you can see by my other posts that i was not too controversial either.
Right now life is to short to spend arguing I rather just play music. If people no like what they hear go somewhere else.
E while I was writing dis Ed went sneak one in that made me fall off my chair. Now thatʻs what Iʻm talking about.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 06/15/2009 12:16:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  12:39:18 PM  Show Profile
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ed, you so bad! I have about 30 dozen of those little guys living in my oaks (well, one less now that momma hawk fed the fledgling), and I will never be able to look at them again without that image.

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  1:14:13 PM  Show Profile
I tink da skwerl going pass da purity test dat Mrs. Skwerl going put him tru. Take one baff. Observe da suspected cheat in da tub of waddah. If dey stay float, well, um, how should I put this....Mrs. Skwerl figgah he wen fine some tita on da side. Dem tings biggah dan a skwerl brain.

Ed - wheah you get one picha lidat. Kinda scary dat you stay get one picha lidat. What you search on da google?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 06/15/2009 1:14:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  1:46:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:

.... So after thirty years the reality is HARAS still needs to work on its image (doesn't everybody?). But this could be discussed in another thread if the need arises...

I think maybe you're right Prof.

Hmm... speaking of working on its image, you think the squirrel with gargantuan gyrating olos should be on their short list for official mascot?

Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  4:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Great thread... thanks everyone, especially the performers at the show in the clip
By the way Don. I accept your challenge to go one on one on stage sometime. That would be cool...

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 06/15/2009 4:01:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000