Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Slack Key Kings?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  4:50:53 PM  Show Profile
Yeeehaaa!!! We get one "Battle Royal" ovah heeyah. So fah get chree pahticipants. We get Bruddah Don Kaulia in one cornah,Bruddah Hiram Bell in one noddah cornah and da young stud Uhini'Ona in anoddah cornah. So wat, dis goin' be like da battle at da end of da movie "Crossroads" or wat? Okay den wat goin' be at stake? Public humiliation? Souls? Oooh oooh How 'bout da winnah take evrybody elses axes home wit' dem as da spoils?. Okay das all worked out. Now how we goin' judge dis ting? Aaaaaah au'e no ho'i......nobody heeyah can make up there minds so foget about da hole ting

Malama Pono
Bruddah Duke

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?

Edited by - sirduke58 on 06/15/2009 4:52:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  6:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Howzit Duke...

there is no battle...I paid my dues in Waianae as a kid, I know how to beef...after all I'm still alive and survived knife wounds and a bullet. But the point of matter is, after getting several emails over this thread, I realized that most of the 'talkers' are students and have no knowledge who HARA is, who the Vaquero is, etc. There will be no battle but, I'll invite you guys on stage to jam. I also paid my dues playing slack key with legends like Fred Punahoa, Sonny Chillingsworth and Leonard Kwan, Sr. Cyril Pahinui told me back in the day when he was with the Peter Moon band and they rearanged 'Kaulana Na Pua', they got smashed with criticisms. And when Pops and Atta Isaac's played slack key on Andy Aona's Howdya Do...so many people criticized the fact that was not slack key?

So be it. Enough said. I'll be at the Honolulu Slack Key Festivals come August 2009 at the Kapiolani Bandstand, my performance slot is sponsored by Taylor Guitars...if I can't get you up there with me, we can at least jam underneath the Gazebo....game?

My involvement in this entertainment industry is purely 'cultural and a hobby'. I have a 6 figure income job as a Manager at Grace Pacific Corporation. Heck most of all the cultural events in Hawaii and the mainland is sponsored by my company. We pave highways up the ying yang in the hot sun. After a days work, it really feels good to grab the guitar and jam sound slack key tunes.

by the way....any new vids of you guys on youtube?

Keep Slack Key alive....they can steel the ceded lands but not slack key!

Cheers, Donald Kaulia

quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Yeeehaaa!!! We get one "Battle Royal" ovah heeyah. So fah get chree pahticipants. We get Bruddah Don Kaulia in one cornah,Bruddah Hiram Bell in one noddah cornah and da young stud Uhini'Ona in anoddah cornah. So wat, dis goin' be like da battle at da end of da movie "Crossroads" or wat? Okay den wat goin' be at stake? Public humiliation? Souls? Oooh oooh How 'bout da winnah take evrybody elses axes home wit' dem as da spoils?. Okay das all worked out. Now how we goin' judge dis ting? Aaaaaah au'e no ho'i......nobody heeyah can make up there minds so foget about da hole ting

Malama Pono
Bruddah Duke

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

Uhini "Ona
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  9:44:05 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo for the info on HARA and for the laughs about some squirrel's gwebbels. But I going do what wcerto and Peter Medeiros wrote, just going let em go already and play for play. Sorry for starting a heated topic and if I said things in a disrespectful manner. And if I'm free that time, maybe I'll take you up on that gazebo jamming offer Don.
Aloha kakou,
"Uhini "Ona
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  9:58:13 PM  Show Profile
Allʻs well dat ends well. Well, well.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 06/15/2009 9:59:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  10:47:33 PM  Show Profile
I am not a professional musician or a teacher, but yes, I am very proud to be a slack key and Hawaiian music student. I ask a lot of questions because I seek knowledge and truth, and experience has taught me to be skeptical. I post on a public web board because I feel free to express my thoughts and feelings, and I don’t purport to speak on behalf of anonymous “others.”

I am open to other opinions and try to act in an honest, responsible, and non-condescending manner even if I don’t always agree. I think before I respond or create a post and try to make constructive suggestions when I can. When I do respond to a post, I try to answer it directly and not duck the question, beat around the bush, or divert it with self-accolades, hidden agenda or inside jokes. Yes, sometimes I get so caught up that I veer off topic or get sarcastic, but in most cases one of my fellow Taropatchers or the many lurkers will steer me back on track.

Over the years, I have had the privilege of studying under many excellent teachers. I wish my playing would better reflect that. I listen to and learn from my kumus, and I try to conduct myself in a manner that’s worthy of their teaching and their example. I am indebted to them. I try to pass on what I have learned. My kumus say open and respectful discussion is good, even with them. Often, they don’t agree with each other. However, to a person, each of my kumus has been respectful, sincere, non-condescending, incredibly generous, and filled with humility and aloha. Those are enviable virtues, but big shoes to fill.

When I show up at a workshop, an open mic, kanikapila, or other get-together, I am rarely the best musician there. My ego doesn’t let that bother me. In fact, I have found that I can learn something from all of the other musicians, whether they are less “skilled” than me or not. I am not there to compete or show off my skills, but rather to share the aloha, enjoy the culture, make new friends, and welcome people into the ‘ohana. That is my reward, and that is the gift that slack key and Hawaiian music in general has given me. I will always be indebted to my teachers, and I will always be a student.

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  12:22:06 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Uhini "Ona

Sorry for starting a heated topic
"Uhini "Ona

Uhini `Ona - please do not let this discussion and the passion it has generated turn you off from Taro Patch. What we need here so much is input of the young local folks, because you are the future of slack key.

And Braddah Don....

Unko Paul and I are coming from Cleveland for the slack key festival. We will be the wild, crazy, old haole couple yelliing out for a jillion hana hous. And we would love to give you our aloha. And Auntie can take the videos of all our TP friends.

I hope we can meet lots of our TP friends while on the island and then maybe you will find out I am really a shy, quiet, bashful hillbilly girl. Or maybe you will find out the truth and discover I am the true Pordagee Princess which Prof. Petah wen annoint me.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 06/16/2009 12:23:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  01:32:42 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Malama Pono
Bruddah Duke

lolz.. True dat...

Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  10:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Shootz brah... I me chu in da pucking lot. Da wina get plate lunch, yeah.... ok den

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 06/16/2009 10:49:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  12:12:49 PM  Show Profile
BTW... in case anyone missed the Kanikapila thread, there is one here on Oahu this Saturday. I am pretty sure any and all "Guitar Gladiators" are invited to throw down...uhhh, i mean, have fun. :) Sorry though, there will be no ring (octagon?) set up for this event and Michael Buffer already said he can't make it. It will be fun though either way. :)

(Anyone have an arrangement of "Eye of the Tiger" in Taropatch tuning? Mahaloz...)

Edited by - sm80808 on 06/16/2009 12:14:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  2:22:56 PM  Show Profile
Well, don't that Fighters Club guy play some swell slack key? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkwFGe-P6v8 .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikdmkxfGdzE
He must like doing battle. But shee-ha, can play da nahenahe.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  2:32:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Well, don't that Fighters Club guy play some swell slack key?

maybe he get da tabs I looking fo....

I posted like >5 times already this week... I must be procrastinating from something...
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  4:23:26 PM  Show Profile
Eh if not too late I tink I like jump into dis face off. Eh Braddah Ed you get one extra Kazoo I can borrow o' wat? Unless you like "Tag Team" dem. You on da Kazoo and me on da Nose Flute? Wachoo tink? If we lose I no tink dey goin' take away my Nose Flute anyway. And I get one secret way fo' play dat flute too dat might score some extra points

Eh Hiram !!! Behind da cafeteria aftah recess, I meet you there wit my Nose Flute in hand,bring your best Cuz!!!! No be surprised if I get my back up.Kory wit' one accordion ,Paul wit' one Mountain Dulcimer and Ed wit his Ki ho'alu Kazoo!!! Hehehehehe

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  4:29:44 PM  Show Profile
e, Duke, brah! You da man! Make da day fo' me! Maybe I can sneak ovah in August, eh?

keaka
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  5:20:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:

You on da Kazoo and me on da Nose Flute?

You could call your group "The Nose Flute Kings". That would get the REAL traditionalists up in arms.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 06/16/2009 5:24:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  5:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by markwitz

You could call your group "The Nose Flute Kings". That would get the REAL traditionalists up in arms.
They can do battle with "The Masters Of Hawaiian Slack Kazoo" at the next Grammy Awards.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000