Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 KI HO'ALU..... All about "SHARING"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  11:48:44 PM  Show Profile
I had a chance to visit my daughter on Molokai for about 3 weeks.
With no McDonalds, Jack'n Box, Pizza Hut and Kentucky Fried Chicken
I knew I would have to really find something to occupy my time when
my daughter was at work. So my mission was to look for people that played ki ho' alu.

I remember Andy telling me about a jam session Molokai had every Saturdays, while people sold there arts and crafts and vegetables.
I went there but no one was playing, Now Molokai's population is about 7,000 when I asked where the music was, They already knew I
was not from that island.....

I asked about slack key and they told me to look for a man named "Kili". I went back home looked in the phone book and
gave him a call. I told him I played slack key and was looking
for someone to play with. He invited me over to his home in Hoolehua.

After driving around for an hour I finally found the house. The problem was there was no street signs the wind blew it off. For those of you that don't live in the islands, We don't go by streets or maps we go by Coconut trees, Mango trees and even Telephone poles. Well I found his house because of the blue boat that was under the ulu tree.

Well we met for the first time, long white hair white beard he welcomed me in hawaiian. We sat talked for awhile and I found out he is the one that plays the music on Saturdays on the sidewalks of Molokai. He did'nt play on that Saturday I was there.

We played for 6 hours, of course with the "pupu's" on the side.
When I first heard his playing I knew he was one of the last that played the "Real Old Style". He said I learned to play from my "Tutu" who lived in Kaupo on the island of Maui. He invited me to play with him that Saturday in Molokai town.

One mini size amp, 2 chairs 2 guitars pluged into the amp, and we played till everything was shut down.While playing I kept looking at him, to hear a style that almost does not exist was an honor for me to sit with this man. At the end of the performance he gathers the money that people put into the jar, And finds a family that is in need of assistance, and gives it away to them. He does it every Saturdays, And he's been doing it for years.

I thought to myself what an act of kindness, He told me money was not important to him, But sharing what he had was! And he told me he owes it all to his tutu and to ki ho'alu, it really thought him the value of sharing.

For 3 weeks I had a chance to sit and play with a great man!
He won't leave Molokai, Molokai is his home and I can see why the people there don't want changes, There life stlye is very simple and thats the way they want it to be for the rest of there lives.

On MAUI the saying goes..."Maui No Ka Oi" (Maui is the Best).
On Molokai the saying goes,"Molokai No Ka Heke"(Molokai hard to Beat)
Much Aloha to my friend ...Kimo Kelii Pio Mawae. "Bruddah" Kevin

Kevin K. Brown

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  12:54:39 AM  Show Profile
What is it? Everyone is telling great stories tonight. Thanks Kevin.

What is different about Molokai; did the people there decide to prevent modern ways, no electricity? There is a cluster of islands in Washington State and on one of them the residents have refused to have electricity. They did allow a small airfield and may have a ferry dock, but there are no cars as I recall. I'm not sure why; I don't think it's religious like the Amish. It's not for me, but sometimes it is a tempting way of life.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  02:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Kevin,
Have you thought of getting him on tape? Sounds like a record of his playing should at least reside in Bishop Museum - His playing may be a source of inspiration, and of sharing, decades from now.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  03:04:35 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Pauline

It took me almost a week to get adjusted to there life style. Molokai is just like Maui
we're a little island in the middle of the sea
the only difference is, On Molokai, every car stays about 4 to 5 car lengths apart.

And when your at a stop sign, and the other car
is about a hundred yards away, the car at the stop sign will wait till you pass.

AND! Everybody waves on Molokai, does'nt matter who you are.

They love there fishing and farming. They love the simple lifestyle. Someone on Molokai told me during the days when our kings once ruled the islands, Molokai was a resting area for those that went to war on the different islands.

Molokai is the center of all the islands, So many would stop over to rest and recuperate and then travel back to there own island.

Today people still come from the other islands to rest and recuperate from all the stress and the hustle and bustle of the fast life.

So there has to be a place where people can still come to relax and get there feet planted firmly on the ground again. And remember how it use to be.

Malama Pono
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  03:39:03 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Raymond

I asked Kili the same question, Did anyone record your music? He told me he had a slack key partner that he played with for years.

But he just passed away 6 months ago. Eddie Kamae did a slack key film called, "Hawaiian Way" (back in the 90's) In that film, his friend was one of the artist that was featured. Kili was suppose to be on it too, But his boss would'nt give him some time off from his job.

After talking and finding out stories about him (Kili) I was thinking about all the other slack key players on the other islands that maybe are in the same boat as my friend Kili and don't have the chance to share there music with others.

My Son and I and our Bass player have a recording studio, I offered Kili to come and lay some music down with no charge at all, So will see, I'll be back there in June and what ever Kili wants to do is all up to him, I'll support his wishes either way. (If he wants to, or not). Somehow there not into that.(recording)

Everthing that happen, Made me think about how many more, "Kili's" are out there, On the other islands. Maybe I should start going on a mission on the other islands as well.

Aloha a hui hou
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  12:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Your idea of finding these "hidden talents" on each island is a wonderful one, Kevin! Our little community radio station (KKCR-FM) has a portable DAT machine and all the stuffs needed to do remote recording -- I'll gladly make arrangements for recording on Kaua`i.

You are welcome to use our guest bedroom up here on the north shore of Kaua`i, anytime. I can put you in touch with the local players I know, and I'm sure they all have plenny `ohana and friends they would like you to hear. Anytime, Kevin -- e komo mai.

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  1:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Auntie Maria,

Mahalo plenty for your offer, I think I'll take you up on that one day. I don't no anyone on Kauai but I'm glad you live there.

I would have to go through you to try and find some of the slack key players. It'll only take one family, and the rest will fall in place.

At first I was only thniking about that mission, But now you made me aware it should be done. And maybe I should start from Kauai and work my way down.

Let me work out a plan, and can I get back to you? Mahalo again for all that you do for Hawaiian Music.

Malama Pono
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  2:30:55 PM  Show Profile
To Kevin and Auntie Maria,
Your latest posts are in line with some thoughts that I had this week. Cyril Pahinui and Patrick Landeza stayed with me and my wife for three days before beginning their current tour in San Diego on 5/1. Although I knew Patrick, I'd never met Cyril and was a little apprehensive about a "legend" staying with me. No sweat. Lots of stories, but I was overcome with the thought that most of this history was going to be lost because no one was documenting it. In particular, Cyril told me lots of anecdotes about doing the Gabby Band recordings on the Big Island, stories about his dad and Sonny and Atta Issacs, and Sunday Manoa and the work to put together the Palani Vaughn "Kings Own" sets. These were truly three remarkable days for me, but I had this feeling that I was among a small group that had heard these stories. Has there been any effort to save this history? I have to believe that we're kicking ourselves because we didn't do any of this with Gabby and Sonny and Leonard Kwan and all of the others who have passed. One day these stories will be gone. This is beyond my limited abilities, but there must be someone at the Bishop's that could spearhead this. Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  3:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
All it takes is a recording device, a decent mike, and a willing talker/player and you've got another piece of oral history preserved. One of the things that's been making the Aloha Guitar book hard to do is the lack of information about big chunks of Hawaiian music history--for example, the club scene from the end of WWII through the Sixties. It's in the memories of some of the older players who are still with us, but it takes field work to preserve those memories.

While I have hours of interviews with players from the Cultural Renaissance generation (Cyril, Led, Keola, the Georges, and so on), it's been very hard to find real elder elders to reconstruct the club/beach music world that sustained Gabby, Sonny, the Isaacs family, Uncle Ray, Andy Cummings, Auntie Genoa, and so on. So I'd urge anybody who comes across old-timers to respectfully and tactfully ask them if they would like to share their memories and their music. This might be easier for local folk than for outsiders--though when I come back to the Islands, you can be sure that I'll have my minidisc and camera with me at all times.

And Kevin--maybe if Kili isn't up for the studio, he'd still agree to be recorded informally, just to document his style and songs and a bit of talk-story. As I said at the top, all it takes is a recorder and a mike--turn it on and forget about it.
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  4:57:34 PM  Show Profile
I've been reading Alan Lomax's "The Land Where The Blues Began," about his trips to the South to document songs and culture. The key elements seem to be a person willing to talk and/or play, and a recording device. Mr. Lomax also benefitted from an ambassador of sorts to accompany him, but it doesn't sound like you would have this problem with Kili. Russell's right that it doesn't have to be formal at all - just have him play.
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  5:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Aloha John,and Russell

Mahalo for your advice, I think that's the way to go, very simple tape recording where the artist would feel comfortable because, your still in the surrounds of his home, and can still be himself.

I think every artist will be different, I'm going to take Auntie Marias councel and try to see how many more Kili's are out there and willing to share. Mahalo everyone!

Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  7:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Kevin,
This is definitely along the lines of a "cultural heritage" project. Part of my livelihood is grantwriting -- there is money to fund this kind of work, but it's not always easy to get to. However, given a simple set up, it would require only a couple of thousand to get the recording done and some form of distribution. If you're initerested in pursuing this and you want me help, use my link to email me directly.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  7:25:27 PM  Show Profile
This is an exciting thing you may be doing. I was thinking of Alan Lomax, too, and scrolled up and there was John B's comment. The Lomax recordings ended up in the Library of Congress IIRC. The Bishop Museum seems to be the proper home for any recordings you may do, but perhaps a copy to the LoC? Thinking big, maybe grants from either or both to help with expenses? From Dancing Cat Records? From us at TaroPatch.net?

----------------------------------

Haha, Raymond, great minds thinking alike! And I was wondering where a grant writer could be found!

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 05/05/2003 7:27:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  7:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Go Kevin, go!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  10:19:13 AM  Show Profile
Kevin, with regard to possible funding _definitely_ contact the State Foundation on Culture & The Arts in Honolulu. They promote projects like the one you are proposing -- and might also be able to provide the recording equipment as well:
http://www.state.hi.us/sfca/
(click "grants" in left column on that page)

Wu-huuuuuuu!!

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  4:49:09 PM  Show Profile
Maybe we can turn this into a TaroPatch.net cultural preservation project.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000